Video training tapes on GPS units

I have a Streetpilot and a Garmin Rino120 unit.

Garmin sells video tapes on the use of these units.

Has anyone found the tapes worthwhile.

I always read the entire manual and test various options but if the tapes have material that I might have missed in the manual then I would consider them. Any opinions?

I suspect the worth of the video will vary from one product to another. I have the Garmin V video produced by Garmin, and it is worth the price. One thing I can vouch is that the video, as good as it is, does not cover all the V's functionality. One example is the process for deleting all waypoints - the video does not cover that command, and thus far I have not been able to find it in the reference manual either.

quote:
Originally posted by RB_Nielsen:

.......One example is the process for deleting all waypoints - the video does not cover that command, and thus far I have not been able to find it in the reference manual either.

RB are you saying that you have been trying to find out how to do it or just using that as an example of incomplete manuals?

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

1) Press the FIND button

2) Select Waypoints, in the list

3) Select By Name, in the next list

4) Press QUIT Button Once

5) Press the MENU Button Once

6) Select Delete ALL, then press enter.

7) Then finally Select YES to the Question.

Too many steps, but I figured this out by experimenting with the waypoint menus

The Waypoints are now all cleared from memory.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

But the reset procedure kills routes, track logs and all personal settings too. Maybe not desired.

I don't know about the GPS V (doesn't have any), but my Vista also allows deletion of waypoints by symbol. Very handy if you create a set of waypoints for some special but temporary use. Just sweep them all in one fell swoop when you don't need them any longer.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

I don't know about the GPS V (doesn't have any), but my Vista also allows deletion of waypoints by symbol.

Anders

Yes, the Garmin V has this feature. If you need to do this just...

• Press find, select waypoints, hit enter
  • Select "By Name" and hit enter
  • move cursor to "OK" and hit enter
  • Press menu and select "Delete by Symbol" press enter then select your symbol.
  • Keep entering "Yes" until process is finished.

I use the "geocache" icon on all unfound geocaches. After I find it, I then change the icon to "geocache found". After I get done logging them, I then delete all "geocache found" waypoints. That way I won't clutter my memory with geocaches I no longer need.

KYtrex

-----------------

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left

quote:
Originally posted by LokoLoki:

I can't seem to figure out how to change the waypoint symbol. I would like to change it to a "Geocache Found" once I do find a cache. How exactly do I do this?

Thanks!

What you must do is first select the waypoint to be changed. Push "find" then select waypoints. Hit "enter" and choose Nearest or By Name. After you select nearest or enter the waypoint by name, you should have a list of waypoints displayed on your screen. Choose the one you want to change and hit "enter". You should now be able to edit the waypoint. The "goto" box should be highlighted. Just move the highlighting around until the icon area is highlighted. Hit "enter" and then change the icon to whatever you want it to be. Hit "enter" again, then move the highlighting to the "OK" box. Hit "enter" one last time. The icon should be changed. Whatever box is highlighted, you can change the info in that box from this screen. Hope this helps.

KYtrex

-----------------

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left