ExpertGPS 1.0.5 now available

Guest topografix

Guest topografix

A major new release of ExpertGPS, our mapping software with USGS topo maps and aerial photos of the United States, is now available. New features in ExpertGPS 1.0.5 include a map delete tool, background download of map imagery, and bmp, jpg, and tif image export.

ExpertGPS reads and writes the same .loc files used by EasyGPS, so you can open all of your waypoint files, including caches downloaded from geocaching.com, in ExpertGPS.

You can download ExpertGPS 1.0.5 at:

http://www.expertgps.com/download.asp

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

I started using 1.0.5 yesterday. Previously, if I wanted to create an image file from ExpertGPS, I used a third party printer driver that creates image files. Here is an example.

Now, ExpertGPS has its own export feature that's quite sweet. Here is an example I made with the export feature in 1.0.5.

I do have one question: what exactly does the map delete feature do? I don't understand it or how to use it.

Thanks Topografix for a great package!

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 25 September 2001).]

Guest topografix

The map delete function helps you remove maps you're not using anymore.

Turn off the Toggle Internet Connection button so you don't download the maps you're about to delete.

Select the Map Delete tool.

Click and drag the rectangle over the area you want to delete. When you release the mouse, ExpertGPS will ask you if you want to delete the maps within this rectangular area, and if you want to delete the more detailed maps at other scale levels.

If you click OK, ExpertGPS will remove the maps from your hard drive.

You might use this feature if you were going on vacation and only needed maps of a certain state for a few days. Of course, it's even easier to switch to a different Map Folder, and then delete the whole folder when you're done with it.

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest arffer

Whoa! You mean that once ExpertGPS downloads a topo map, you can access that map again without requiring it to be re-downloaded from the net? For example I can get my needed maps on a laptop, then head out on a trip and be able to access them?

How do you do this? I thought I knew this program pretty well!

Whenever I reopen a .loc file and open a topo window, I always see it fetching the maps from the net.