Garmin Mapsource Maps - How Up-to-date?

Guest MountainDiver

Guest MountainDiver

How old is the data Garmin uses to create their maps? I have a Legend and their Topo maps and have uploaded the maps for a large chunk of north Georgia into the unit.

Now, after playing with it a while, I've noticed a few things. Like the fact that the interstate I travel on every day is missing. OK, I know it's a topo map, not a road map. But an interstate? That's been there for at least the 15 years I've been living here?

This isn't a major issue since I primarily plan to use the unit for hiking and for recording dive points in Lake Lanier, but it would be nice to know if the path I'm taking back to my car or whatever cuts across an interstate or not.

Yes, I know I can get other maps. I have five separate mapping packages on my PC. (Only Garmin's works with the Legend, of course.) I've got more topo and regional maps than I can count. But, if I'm going to use a paper map as my primary instead of a backup, what's the point of having the map in the Legend in the first place?

------------------

The MountainDiver

34 01.649 N

84 27.211 W

"GPS satellites are nice because they can answer two of the three most common questions in my life: "What time is it?" and "Where am I?" If they could also somehow determine whether I have any clean underwear left, the bases would be covered." --- The Brunching Shuttlecocks

Guest devildog

I have a new GPSMap 76 that I have started using on Lanier. With the built in map it shows me running over land most of the time around Brown's Bridge. I do some diving in Lanier (mostly hull cleaning and search and recovery) I formerly taught diving in Virginia and would be interested in finding out some decent spots in the lake if you would care to share.