Magellan 315/320 - Auto averaging off?

Guest alexm

Is it possible to turn off the auto-averaging feature of the GPS 315/320?

While it comes in pretty handy at times, there are other times when I'd like to see the "EPE" more than the word "AVERAGING".

Thanks!

Guest The 19th

I don't think there is a way to disable that feature on the Mag 315. I have one myself, and seeing that "AVERAGING" bugs me when I'm walking slowly as I approach the cache site.

One suggestion I've seen in the forums is to give the unit a quick wave around (like at arms length) and that should cause the averaging to restart.

------------------

Lawrence Rillera

Elk Grove, CA

Well another weekend with wonderful averaging. Took a slow hike up a rocky hill this weekend, slowly making my way to the cache. Resting at the top 69 feet to the NW of the cache. Turned the Maggie off,,,back on,,,wonder of wonder I was now 45' on the other side of the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

Took a slow hike up a rocky hill this weekend......

I've been having the same problem hiking in areas where some sections require slow forward movement. When the 315 goes into averaging mode the "trip odometer" will not register any actual progress and as a result I get a false reading. I have discovered however that the "track history" is accurate in actual trip distance. That helps except I have no idea how far I hiked untill I get home and download the track to my computer.

I think Magellan should seriously condsider adding an averaging "on/off" option in the future. When I need the accuracy that averaging gives then I would flip it on. No big deal.

Cheers! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

Took a slow hike up a rocky hill this weekend......

I've been having the same problem hiking in areas where some sections require slow forward movement. When the 315 goes into averaging mode the "trip odometer" will not register any actual progress and as a result I get a false reading. I have discovered however that the "track history" is accurate in actual trip distance. That helps except I have no idea how far I hiked untill I get home and download the track to my computer.

I think Magellan should seriously condsider adding an averaging "on/off" option in the future. When I need the accuracy that averaging gives then I would flip it on. No big deal.

Cheers! icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe if enough users go direct to Magellan they may resolve the issue with what is really a simple software fix. I did mail them but never got a reply.

Might be too late for them to bother with fixes for the 315's etc with the Meridian's coming out. Will be interesting to see if these follow the same line of thinking.

Cheers, Kerry.

Rats!

I figured as such. It's good to know that I'm not alone in here.

When it aggravates me the most... When I'm just trying to get good satellite reception (in the woods or just a bad day)... I just really want to know how good the satellites are "doing" over a 3-minute period without having to switch back and forth from "sat status" to "position".

I'll try emailing magellan, but I'll bet it's probably all for naught.

Wish I knew more about assembly programming and the AMX 68000 series microcontroller in these suckers. I'd find a way to shut it off. icon_smile.gif

Rats!

I figured as such. It's good to know that I'm not alone in here.

When it aggravates me the most... When I'm just trying to get good satellite reception (in the woods or just a bad day)... I just really want to know how good the satellites are "doing" over a 3-minute period without having to switch back and forth from "sat status" to "position".

I'll try emailing magellan, but I'll bet it's probably all for naught.

Wish I knew more about assembly programming and the AMX 68000 series microcontroller in these suckers. I'd find a way to shut it off. icon_smile.gif

I emailed Magellan two weeks ago with two requests:

1) Please consider a patch to allow turning AutoAveraging on and off.

2) Will the new Meridians have this ability?

They have in no way acknowledged my e-Mail, not even a form letter 'Thanks for writting'.

I tried the 'hula-wave' method for the first time on three hunts this past weekend. Other than looking silly, it worked every time to break the averaging.

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

I tried the 'hula-wave' method for the first time on three hunts this past weekend. Other than looking silly, it worked every time to break the averaging.

LOL! A Wisconsite-Louisianian tells people to swing their GPS around to kick it out of averaging, and it takes another Wisconsinite to come up with a wacky name for it. "Hula-wave"... I like it. icon_wink.gif

Well, arffer, I think I'd better go devour some cheese; you seem to be catching up to me. tongue.gif

quote:

LOL! A Wisconsite-Louisianian tells people to swing their GPS around to kick it out of averaging, and it takes another Wisconsinite to come up with a wacky name for it. "Hula-wave"... I like it. icon_wink.gif

Well, arffer, I think I'd better go devour some cheese; you seem to be catching up to me. tongue.gif

The "hula-wave" works fine to break it out of averaging, at least for a few seconds (it's actually part of the caching experience down here... we call it the skeeter-beater... sort of an involuntary reaction to the environment)...

If I'm hiding a cache, I want to put the GPS down and let it sit for a bit... Then I get to sit and wonder whether it's getting good reception, break the averaging, and start the cycle over... Seems counter-productive to me. icon_smile.gif

And since we're discussing GPS tricks, and we're all talking about magellans..

1. Turn on GPS.

2. Go to "POSITION" screen (NAV1?)

3. Hit Menu

4. Select Languages

5. Select "SVENSKA" (That's Swedish)

6. Hit the right arrow

7. Hit the left arrow

Instant potty-humor. I bet you didn't know it could track those too!

To put it back,

1. Menu / Sprak / English

I don't think I'll ever live down letting that one out of the bag (pardon the pun).

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 17 September 2001).]

The "hula-wave" works fine to break it out of averaging, at least for a few seconds (it's actually part of the caching experience down here... we call it the skeeter-beater... sort of an involuntary reaction to the environment)...

If I'm hiding a cache, I want to put the GPS down and let it sit for a bit... Then I get to sit and wonder whether it's getting good reception, break the averaging, and start the cycle over... Seems counter-productive to me. icon_smile.gif

And since we're discussing GPS tricks, and we're all talking about magellans..

1. Turn on GPS.

2. Go to "POSITION" screen (NAV1?)

3. Hit Menu

4. Select Languages

5. Select "SVENSKA" (That's Swedish)

6. Hit the right arrow

7. Hit the left arrow

Instant potty-humor. I bet you didn't know it could track those too!

To put it back,

1. Menu / Sprak / English

I don't think I'll ever live down letting that one out of the bag (pardon the pun).

[This message has been edited by alexm (edited 17 September 2001).]

alexm,

IMHO, averaging only needs to be broken for a few seconds. By breaking averaging, it throws out all the old co-ordiantes that are behind you when walking slowly that are inappropriatly being included in the averaging.

By breaking averaging, even for a second, the GPSR now shows your position where you currently are, not where you've been, to the best of its ability.

Course, if you continue to walk slowly, then the averaging error will start to build again, requiring another hula-wave. If that was your point, I agree fully. That's why the need for all Maggy owners to email Magellan and ask for a toggle on/off for averaging.

Also, regarding your comment about setting the GPSR down to let it average awhile. Picking it up to check on the reception will not break the averaging. It needs large, quick, violent movements to break the averaging; anything less than the hula-wave in my experiance does not take the GPSR out of averaging. I've picked up and set down my 315 many times this way.

Lastly, I tried your SVENSKA trick. I am astounded that the Maggy can not only track those, but that it measured mine going 65 mph!!! eek.gif

I emailed Magellan and asked them to please consider a patch to allow turning AutoAveraging on and off on the GPS315 and I actually got a reply! Not much of one, but it is a start (I guess)

Here it is:

Thank you for the suggestion and we pass this on to our engineers.

Sidney London

Consumer Products Service Supervisor

Magellan Systems Corporation

960 Overland Court

San Dimas, CA 91773

909-394-5000 ext. 5073 or 800-669-4477

slondon@mgln.com

For what it's worth,

Bill

quote:

Also, regarding your comment about setting the GPSR down to let it average awhile. Picking it up to check on the reception will not break the averaging.

A little FWIW: I find that when I'm WAASing on my 330, it breaks out of auto-averaging a heap of a lot easier sometimes.

And yes, having one little boolean value in there would be really nice... I guess they haven't quite understood yet that some people want their coordinates to be less stable. It's like planes: you want a fighter jet to be relatively unstable so that it is very maneuverable; if it took huge, slow control yoke movements to get that puppy heeling, you'd better hope you were just time-warped to WWI or you'll be Swiss cheese.

(Oops, corrected an errant verb tense.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 19 September 2001).]

quote:
when I'm WAASing on my 330, it breaks out of auto-averaging a heap of a lot easier

Hadn't thought of the WAAS issue... Everything I said earlier should only be applied to non-WAAS usage. Sure makes sense that when using WAAS, it would be MUCH easier to break average, including just by picking it up.

BTW, when using WAAS and walking slow, does auto-averaging kick in at the same point (<2mph) as it does without WAAS?

I suggest we all email Magellan and ask that future software upgrades should allow for averaging to be turned off. Here's an email address I just tried:

slondon@mgln.com

------------------

Okay, I got a response from Magellan this time:

quote:
Dear Sir

The averaging will only work below 2mph because the unit

generally wll not record a speed below 2mph if you are walking

on the threshhold you may get bad readings the only solution

would be to keep your speed at approx 3mph and to stop when

you want to actually record a waypoint for more info call

(800)669-4477

If I understand this response, they are telling me that their solution to being able to disable auto-averaging is to walk faster...

I guess Magellan considers auto-averaging to already have a disable option. To disable the auto-average feature, run... To enable the auto-average feature, walk slow.

Not much of a response in my opinion.

> you want to actually record a waypoint for

> more info call (800)669-4477

I wonder if they'll give you directions on how to walk faster. icon_smile.gif

I *REALLY* hope for magellan's sake that they don't include this "automatic feature" in later models / software revisions. I can understand from a software perspective that with sporadic signals, you probably need to be moving at a certain rate for the GPS to actually decide that you are really moving and not just hopping around a few feet here and there.

I really just want them to get the dadgum "AVERAGING" off the "EPE" line!

Do other GPS vendors do basically the same thing (if you're not moving fast enough, you're not really moving)? This is actually the one feature of this GPS that REALLY irks me enough to make my next purchase be that of another manufacturer. (This is my second magellan).

I'm considering the MAP330 for it's mapping capabilities, but want to wait to see what pricing / availability / features exist in the meridian before I decide. Not to mention the price drop in MAP330s when the meridians do hit the shelves.

Maybe if we called the 800 number enough times, they'd get the hint. icon_smile.gif

alexm

> you want to actually record a waypoint for

> more info call (800)669-4477

I wonder if they'll give you directions on how to walk faster. icon_smile.gif

I *REALLY* hope for magellan's sake that they don't include this "automatic feature" in later models / software revisions. I can understand from a software perspective that with sporadic signals, you probably need to be moving at a certain rate for the GPS to actually decide that you are really moving and not just hopping around a few feet here and there.

I really just want them to get the dadgum "AVERAGING" off the "EPE" line!

Do other GPS vendors do basically the same thing (if you're not moving fast enough, you're not really moving)? This is actually the one feature of this GPS that REALLY irks me enough to make my next purchase be that of another manufacturer. (This is my second magellan).

I'm considering the MAP330 for it's mapping capabilities, but want to wait to see what pricing / availability / features exist in the meridian before I decide. Not to mention the price drop in MAP330s when the meridians do hit the shelves.

Maybe if we called the 800 number enough times, they'd get the hint. icon_smile.gif

alexm

I really think Magellan need to look at how, why and what triggers this Auto Averaging.

The change needs to be away from simply speed (if that is indeed all that triggers it) to include/use the direction of that speed or the delta differences bewteen subsequent position fixes.

In other words a straight line movement of 2mph (physically could move 48 miles in distance in 24 hours) should be handled differently to a changing back and forth speed (which might not physically "move" more than a 100' in 24 hours but still "think" it's "travelled" 48 miles).

Cheers, Kerry.

[This message has been edited by Kerry (edited 24 September 2001).]

quote:
I really think Magellan need to look at how, why and what triggers this Auto Averaging.

Yes, an on/off button. Just drop the auto in auto-averaging. Give us averaging enabled and averaging disabled.

quote:

Yes, an on/off button. Just drop the auto in auto-averaging. Give us averaging enabled and averaging disabled.

No, not quite. You want the two settings to be auto-averaging and averaging disabled. It would be cutting off the kneecaps to spite the elbows* if the auto were done away with altogether.

Basically, with an on/off switch for auto-averaging, the effective choice would be between auto-auto-averaging and manual auto-averaging. This makes logical sense.

*Why this analogy? Because the auto of auto-averaging is not really related to the averaging part as closely as common knowledge makes it seem. The root of the problem is not the auto but, rather, the averaging. Allowing a user to tell the unit not to average at all is logical, but telling it to average all the time... that's just plain silly.

Um.. this one I've got to disagree on. The auto in Magellan's auto-averaging means it starts to average automatically when it thinks you've stopped (under 2mph).

What we want is the ability to turn averaging on and off.

If you are walking slow and don't want the GPSR to be averaging, then turn it off. If however you have stopped and want to average a waypoint, then you turn it on.

I'm sorry, but I have to veto your disagreement. I will try to clarify.

The ability to turn auto-averaging on and off will do what you want, and in addition, it is both "backwards-compatible" with the current paradigm and also the logical way to do things.

• If you don't want averaging, you simply turn auto-averaging off. With this setting, the unit will not average. Period. Walking, strolling, sleeping, falling, or whatevering, no averaging will take place.
  • If you want classic auto-averaging, as some may, you simply turn auto-averaging on. Driving, running, (swift) walking, and such will not average. Standing, sleeping, and such will average. A leisurely stroll may cause problems such as we've been discussing.
  • If you want to average a waypoint, you simply stop moving and then turn auto-averaging on. Average as long as you'd like, and then mark your waypoint. Turn auto-averaging off when you want to go back to your leisurely unaveraged stroll.

As you can see, auto-averaging gives you the ability to do exactly what you want to do.

Why do I have a problem with a plain averaging toggle? Consider the following: I set averaging on. Then I hop on my crow and fly from Louisiana to Wisconsin. When I hop off around Sheboygan or so, my GPS receiver will show that I'm somewhere in the vicinity of Missouri. This is obviously a WRONG answer.

(In a geocaching situation, a newbie forgetting to turn averaging back off would have the potential for getting them dangerously lost, as the coordinates given by the receiver would be WRONG, and as we saw a little while back, a newbie with a GPS receiver can get lost even without this potential.)

Now, if I toggled auto-averaging on, my calculated coordinates would at most be a few meters off; even just strolling along, I cross 2.5 mph here and there. The displayed coordinates would be the RIGHT answer, even though the accuracy may be impeded depending on the specifics of my movements.

With no averaging (auto- or otherwise), the precision of my coordinates would suffer some, but the results would indicate Sheboygan, WI, not somewhere in Missouri. This is also the RIGHT answer, although in this case we are trading the potential additional precision averaging could provide for the better accuracy given by not having bad averages (the kind caused by moving less than the cutoff speed).

In summary, having an auto-averaging toggle does provide the one-time waypoint averaging capabilities that geocachers can find very helpful. It is also not susceptible to the potential serious drawback of a plain averaging toggle (the "oops, I didn't turn it off" problem). Finally, it preserves the existing auto-averaging capability for the many people who find it useful (not everyone geocaches, unfortunately).

Have I explained myself well enough now? (I'm tired, so if I glossed over anything, let me know and I'll go back and fix it.)

new ones are taken, old ones are discarded. Within minutes your GPSR would show your present location. For example, with our Maggys showing a delayed position somewhere behind us due to inadvertant averaging, once stopped, our position comes racing at us and within a couple of minutes is accurate.

If GPSRs were designed just to prevent folks forgetting to do things like turning averaging off when done with it, they would be a nightmare. Gee, I often forget to turn tracking on, I'd like my GPSR to do auto-tracking. Darn, forgot to mark my car again, I'd like my GPSR to auto mark everything I forgot. Darn, forgot to switch DATUM so I'd like auto-datum.

Anyway, these are just rants. I can live with your call for Averaging off / Auto-Averaging

Later

Oh, great arffer, I humbly accept your rants. And as for auto-datum, I know a coupld guys that have that feature...

Bubba> Whoa! That's a '56 Chevy!

Tommy> '56?!? No way, dude, that's a '58.

Bubba> Yeah, right! So's your momma!

Tommy> You wanna piece of me?!?!?

icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, great arffer, I humbly accept your rants. And as for auto-datum, I know a coupld guys that have that feature...

Bubba> Whoa! That's a '56 Chevy!

Tommy> '56?!? No way, dude, that's a '58.

Bubba> Yeah, right! So's your momma!

Tommy> You wanna piece of me?!?!?

icon_biggrin.gif

Guest GeoRockers

quote:

Within minutes your GPSR would show your present location. For example, with our Maggys showing a delayed position somewhere behind us due to inadvertant averaging, once stopped, our position comes racing at us and within a couple of minutes is accurate.

Unfortunately, this race occurs at a snail pace. icon_frown.gif

Our group's first GPSR was a Mag 315.

It took a few hours to familiarize ourselves with its idiosyncrasies during our first day of caching.

Our routine, once we were within a 100 feet of the cache, was to move quickly, stop for a few minutes, take a bearing, turn left(or right), move quickly, stop for a few minutes, take a bearing. This was repeated one more time, in order to check the triangulation results.

In order to speed up the triangluation process, we purchased a Mag 310. Image our suprise when this routine was not required with the cheaper by $30 version of the Mag. icon_smile.gif

One lost sale for Magellan, one gained sale for Garmin.

Perhaps the economics of the situation (we know of other cachers who purchased a Garmin as a second unit) will assist them with their "features" set.

Guest GeoRockers

quote:

Within minutes your GPSR would show your present location. For example, with our Maggys showing a delayed position somewhere behind us due to inadvertant averaging, once stopped, our position comes racing at us and within a couple of minutes is accurate.

Unfortunately, this race occurs at a snail pace. icon_frown.gif

Our group's first GPSR was a Mag 315.

It took a few hours to familiarize ourselves with its idiosyncrasies during our first day of caching.

Our routine, once we were within a 100 feet of the cache, was to move quickly, stop for a few minutes, take a bearing, turn left(or right), move quickly, stop for a few minutes, take a bearing. This was repeated one more time, in order to check the triangulation results.

In order to speed up the triangluation process, we purchased a Mag 310. Image our suprise when this routine was not required with the cheaper by $30 version of the Mag. icon_smile.gif

One lost sale for Magellan, one gained sale for Garmin.

Perhaps the economics of the situation (we know of other cachers who purchased a Garmin as a second unit) will assist them with their "features" set.

quote:
We discovered the hula-wave/Mag315 toss while waiting for the response

The Mag315 toss, oh that's great! Ever seen the Sychronized Briefcase Drill Team in a parade (there is also a synchronized lawnmower team)? I can see us now, the Synchronized Magellan Owners Drill Team!

Proudly marching in formation doing precision Hula-waves and Mag315 tosses! Are we cool or what!

I'm thinking of emailing Magellan a link to this thread and seeing if that helps convince them to add a disable feature to auto-averaging, what do the rest of you think? Or maybe a few of us should do it, you know squeaky wheel and all that?

BTW, thanks for putting up with my rants ClayJar. I'm overly sensitive to designing for, (what shall I call it to be nice?), non-astute behaviour. Your proposal for off/auto clearly is more functional/user friendly than my on/off proposal. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 26 September 2001).]

Wouldn't it be easier for Magellan to make a patch that senses that the unit has stopped moving and then waits 2-5 minutes before it starts averaging. This would still allow us to stop and ponder our position for several minutes and still have averaging if we want it.

The entire problem with auto-averaging stems from the fact that you cannot tell when the unit has stopped moving. You can say that whenever the calculated speed drops below a certain cutoff point, you must be stopped (the cutoff speed would be the maximum calculated speed that could be caused by GPS errors). Our problem is that we can sometimes stay below the cutoff speed for extended periods of time.

It would make precious little difference if the unit waited a few minutes to start averaging if we were on a three-hour stroll below the cutoff speed. The unit would assume we were standing still and average the whole time (after waiting the initial 2-5 minutes).

The problem with auto-averaging can only be solved by giving the unit some additional piece of information. We say that this additional information should be an on/off toggle; when auto-averaging is off, the unit would assume that we are never stopped.

A toggle would only need to be one simple boolean flag to set/unset. If you can find any more elegant solution, feel free to propose it. Otherwise, I'll just keep wielding Occam's razor.

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

It would make precious little difference if the unit waited a few minutes to start averaging if we were on a three-hour stroll below the cutoff speed. The unit would assume we were standing still and average the whole time (after waiting the initial 2-5 minutes).

[A toggle would only need to be one simple boolean flag to set/unset. If you can find any more elegant solution, feel free to propose it. Otherwise, I'll just keep wielding Occam's razor.

I see your point Clayjar, and pardon my ignorance of boolean flags, I am not a computer geek.

quote:
Originally posted by navdog:

I see your point Clayjar, and pardon my ignorance of boolean flags, I am not a computer geek.

Oh, no problem at all. I'm just glad you're one of those people who doesn't get upset when the computer geeks fly by. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by navdog:

Oh, no problem at all. I'm just glad you're one of those people who doesn't get upset when the computer geeks fly by. icon_wink.gif

As long as one can switch it OFF then that solves much of the problem as Auto-Averaging itself is not the issue BUT what triggers/controls it is.

Speed as the sole trigger is totally useless. A bit of refinement could eliminate that ambiguity based on speed alone.

If that's not considered practical/possible then all that's left is the 2 options, ON or OFF.

Going to be interesting to see what the Meridian comes out with. That may indicate the future plans but doesn't help the present victims.

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest Desert Dawg

This discussion on the M 315 has been very imformative, I am glad I found this forum.

Two weeks ago , I recieved a new Magellan 315 as a birthday gift. I have been Geocaching with my old Maggie 2000 for some time and find it to be OK. After reading this thread and testing the 315 a bit, I decided to take the unit back to Wal-Mart

for a full refund.. I really loved the other features of the 315 but until Thales, come up with a retro-fit or software fix, I will wait and see what features the new Meridians have to offer. I was leary to hold the new 315 any amount of time with the new Meridians coming out soon, I thought there might be a big price drop coming soon..I alwies have the option to buy another 315 later if a software fix is implemented.

PS ..I also emailed the link to this tread to Mr. Sidney London @ Magellan (Thales). I suggest all you Maggie 315 owners do the same..

Thanks all... The Dawg

[This message has been edited by Desert Dawg (edited 28 September 2001).]

I've found references that document this as a problem as far back as 1999.

gpsnuts review.

I think that magellan has heard the cries already and either can't or won't do anything about it. Maybe Thales will. If they don't, it's going to a big "Con" in the magellan/thale column when I go GPS shopping again soon...

alexm

I have a 315 and it auto averages when, as you know, I move slowly. But I was told for planting the caches, the averaging can be of some help by setting the unit on the hiding place for a couple of minutes then taking the coordinates. Is this true, and if so, is this the only true benefit? We are going to purchase a unit for a couple of family members but want to get them the best bang for my buck.

Thanks---Scott