Vista and Metroguide query

Guest Clyde

Bought my first GPS receiver, eTrek Vista, yesterday along with a Metroguide. Just started getting to know how to use them but was a little alarmed when I started to copy a map to the receiver when it warned me it would erase the existing map and it wouldn't be retreivable. That surely doesn't mean the basemap gets erased does it?

No, the basemap is permanent. However, the Vista does come preloaded with a database of marine information (navigational aids like bouys) and this does get erased when you load any maps into the unit. Garmin's website has the original marine database available for downloading so you can restore it if you want to later, but currently you can't have both it and any downloaded maps in the unit at the same time.

and that is the most annoying problem with the vista fortunately the mapsource maps generally have more detail than the basemap so its not a big loss, unless you are planning on using it on the water somewhere, at which time i would restore the marine basemap file which is available for download from the garmin site.