PALM+GPS+GeoCaching = PalmCaching

Guest Digiital

Guest Digiital

Alright folks. Now that I have a palm. I can hack around with it.

I've been trying to think of how I could incorporate it to Geocaching and the GPS. I'm going to try and hack around with some programming(nothing fancy) to connect the GPS unit to the PALM via the Hotsync cable and the programming cable for the GPS.

My question to you all. Is what would you like to see the application do!?

I'm thinking of something in the lines where there is a database with of course the coordinates of the location and space for description of the Geo(s). Possibly

some error correction (averaging).

Anything else?

Guest cache_ninja

if i brought my Visor with me on cache hunts and it went through what my gps unit has gone through, it would be broken many many many times by now..

Guest k2dave

I don't have the cables (or the time to matchj up the hotsync cable to the palm). But I would think waypoint management would be a biggie. If the gps (which I don't know of any that has it) has IR it would a very useful program.

I would rather use the gps for in the field use because it's easier to use one device then 2 + the iii+ has a pretty good screen (smaller then the palm screen but still big enough).

Perhaps a info screen displaying all stats (speed, altitude, eta, etc.) would be nice but its usefulness would be limited.

When are they going to come out w/ bluetooth.

Guest bunkerdave

I have heard that some have had success getting the cache listings via AvantGo. I have tried it, but was not successful. Due to my own inability, no doubt. The best I have come up with is massive copy and paste into my Memo Pad utility. I have over 170 caches in there, with all the info, but it is very difficult to keep up, at least in Utah. Works really nicely, after they are in, though.

Guest k2dave

YOu can already download a zip code worth of caches using avantgo. I have done that. A graphical display of cache locations (instead of list form) would also help.

Guest sivad

I have a visor and to keep up with the caches I am looking for I put them into it. i was printing the cache pages to take with me but now I copy and paste into word. Then I use documents to go to view the page on the run. I also use excel to transfer my way points in my visor. It is all done with doc. to go. It is just another way to keep up with all of the caches and waypoints I have or are looking for.

------------------

"All that wander are not lost...for they have GPS in hand..

Guest bunkerdave

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

YOu can already download a zip code worth of caches using avantgo. I have done that. A graphical display of cache locations (instead of list form) would also help.

I messed around for a couple hours with Avantgo last night, and could never get it to do what I wanted. I am getting almost a full 2mb of data in my Palm 3c, but I can't access the cache listings. When I put in the login info, it says I will get that the next time I hotsync. I tried setting the channel to the Utah Caches page, but I still can't get to the caches. What am I doing wrong? Is it possible to download that many caches? I really don't need them all, but 2mb should hold a lot of caches. I am pretty frugal with my memory otherwise, so I know that is not the problem.

Guest xanthari

AvantGo is fine and well I suppose, however, I use a notebook more than a palm...and to those who dont have a palm at all avantgo is useless since they can't even install the software and sign up for an account without the hotsink program.

A few more generic dowloadables directly form the geocach.com website would be a more useable product for the user enmass. Something that you could load directly to easygps or even in excel or simple text format would be a good start, at least then most would be able to move that info to thier gps as well as keep it in some form of list on thier desktop/notebook and still have the option of using avantgo for thier palmtop.

Guest Clanggedin

I use my Visor when I go geocaching. I also have AvantGo set for 2 links down. It helped alot this weekend when I needed the cheat to figure out where to park for the Provo River walk cache.

I just received my Visor-eTrex cable today. This week will be my test to see how it works and how it can be used to better my Geocaching experience.

I'll probably end up using it to find the best roads to get to caches, then take my eTrex up to the cache once I have parked.

Guest dan_edwards_1966

That gives me one more idea for the program I plan to write for the palm. Basicly it will be tools for GeoCaching. The first will be to help in the creation of mulipoint caches. Automaticly takes readings from GPS, adverages them, and stores clue information, and generates the math needed to find the final catch. It would also generate and submit the page to geocaching.com.

The new idea is...

Automaticly decode hints from pasted text. That way you could just paste the text from the caches hint section and decrypt away.

Dan

Guest dan_edwards_1966

Yea I know, but at least the version I have now will let you copy the whole page into a memo. You can cut and paste from there. I think it's new because I don't remember even being able to do that.

Guest dmets

Coola is the program you need. It allows you to take any web page and turn it into a Palm DOC. Coola is a pretty cool palmOS app. www.coola.com. All you need is a doc reader - there are a ton of free ones - and some good shareware ones too... Use Coola to sync the web page/address/todo/appointment to your and other peoples PalmsOS devices. It should fit the bill.

Guest Exocet

er and I go out we always bring our Handspring Visors. He's got a Platinum, I've got the Deluxe.

My GPS unit is a springboard module for the Visor. So that's the big reason I bring mine. icon_smile.gif

My partner, Chad, has an Omnisky Minstrel S wireless modem in his Platinum, so if we can, we'll decrypt hints out in the woods, search for the latest caches, get directions, etc.

Both of us have the cache pages for our zip codes in AvantGo. Additionally we've started noting the time, temp and what we left/took in the memopad on the Visor. We're forgetful to start with but when we end up visiting four caches in a day ...who can remember who took what?

Neither one of us has ever broken or significantly damaged our Visors. I keep the hard, clear plastic cover that GeoDiscovery sent with the Geode on most of the time when I'm walking around. If it's raining I have a small, fitted ziplock style bag that fits over the Visor + GPS, so it doesn't get wet ...Though I will admit they've both been rained on more times than I can remember, but with no apparent ill effects.

YMMV, of course, but I've had excellent luck with my Visor and never leave home with out it. icon_smile.gif

Guest Exocet

er and I go out we always bring our Handspring Visors. He's got a Platinum, I've got the Deluxe.

My GPS unit is a springboard module for the Visor. So that's the big reason I bring mine. icon_smile.gif

My partner, Chad, has an Omnisky Minstrel S wireless modem in his Platinum, so if we can, we'll decrypt hints out in the woods, search for the latest caches, get directions, etc.

Both of us have the cache pages for our zip codes in AvantGo. Additionally we've started noting the time, temp and what we left/took in the memopad on the Visor. We're forgetful to start with but when we end up visiting four caches in a day ...who can remember who took what?

Neither one of us has ever broken or significantly damaged our Visors. I keep the hard, clear plastic cover that GeoDiscovery sent with the Geode on most of the time when I'm walking around. If it's raining I have a small, fitted ziplock style bag that fits over the Visor + GPS, so it doesn't get wet ...Though I will admit they've both been rained on more times than I can remember, but with no apparent ill effects.

YMMV, of course, but I've had excellent luck with my Visor and never leave home with out it. icon_smile.gif

Guest dan_edwards_1966

Exocet,

This is a little a little off topic but very strange/interesting.

I have a friend Chad that I go GeoCaching with, and he has a Visor Platinum as well (he has a Eyemodule 2 in his) I have a Visor Deluxe and a cable to connect it to my cell phone, as well as the GPS.

For a little extra wierdness we are both transplants from the Portand/Vancouver area. We both live in Colorado now, one by choice, the other because of job.

Just a little strange, don't ya think!

Dan