Land Area vs. Memory Data Size for various CD Software Maps?

I know this is my 3rd question in about an hour; do I get extra points or penalized for this? icon_wink.gif

Can someone correlate the land area size vs. downloaded map size for products in the Magellan & Garmin family for Topo, Roads & Rec, etc.

I would like to have a better feeling for how much the 24Mb on the 76S would store vs. the 19Mb on the GPSV vs. the standard 16Mb (up to 64Mb) on the Platinum.

Thanks Again! icon_smile.gif

So far as memory required goes, Topos take less that street. And Roads & Rec take less than Metro guide. But as someone who just bought a Garmin Legend and Roads & Rec cd, I can say that while Garmin makes a good GPSr, the software (and you MUST use thier software if you want maps ON your GPSr) is TERRIBLY out of date and VERY expensive. Read rant about this in another thread.

I'd go with something else if I were you.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

When I was considering my purchase I was told that the Vista's 24MB would hold the southern half of Florida, up to and including the Orlando area.

I believe that Magellan data is packed a little better than Garmin data is. For one thing, MetroGuide had a divided highway near my work as two separate lines, with extra lines added for every intersection. This is too much detail, in my opinion. To me, one road -- one line. This is much more efficient, and this is what Magellan does. This means that Magellan uses less memory.

I recenly took a driving trip from Florida to North Carolina. I managed to get a half of Florida, most of Georgia, all of North Carolina, all of South Carolina, and parts of Virginia, Tennessee, and even a bit of Kentucky in to about 92MB.

This was the deciding factor for me when I purchased my Magellan Meridian. You can add memory, and the memory is 1/2 the price of what Garmin charges. I have 128MB in my GPS. We went camping in North Carolina, but I had no idea what we would to when we got there. I wanted to be sure that no matter where we went, we would have map coverage.

I have a V and friend has the Vista.

He has all of southern Idaho in Topo Maps in his Vista.

In my V I have all of Idaho in City Select and 75% of southern Idaho.

When I was City Select only in my V I had All of Idaho, Portland, Seattle, and parts in between Seattle and Portland.

In other words. Half of a big state (but not half of a huge state) or 3 major metropolitan areas and in between.

Or one major metropolitan area, some surrounding area and 1/3 of a large state.