Etrex Legend Lifetime

Minex

I use my etrex occasionally for geocaching, and use it quite a bit for navigating around while driving. However, I've had my Legend for about a year and a half and its definately falling apart on me.

1) The glue isn't holding the rubber on anymore, so its starting to come up in alot of places. I assume that this will cause issues in the units water resistance. Can I just glue it back on? What kind of glue works ok?

2) The screen is going wierd on me. When I turn it on, every other horizontal line isn't being drawn. I have to hit it against my hand to get it to work correctly. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do here?

3) I never had this problem until a few months ago. I had to wedge something inside the battery compartment to keep the battery from moving around... otherwise, the unit spontaneously turns off if it moves around too much.

I don't think I use the unit enough to warrant these issues, and for the money I payed, one would think that it would last longer.

Well My legend has been on over 120 caches now and I too am having problems. In fact after next week when I return from TN it's going back to garmin for warantee repair. I love the unit and I'm at about the 6 month mark and the rubberband is starting to go. The display is also acting flaky which a light slam corrects (something loose obviously).

I have 2 legends and they both have problems. The second unit (out of warantee) has the same rubberband problem and the click stick requires a thousand pounds of pressure to click "OK" on it. The directions seem to be fine.

Overall I'm going to really gripe at garmin when I call them and see if they will do both untis under warantee since I can easily point out that there must be some serious manufacturing problems to have similar problems on both units.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rubberhead:

I've alread called and gotten an RMA number.

Rubberhead hit it on the..... well, head! We had our Legend about 1.5 years before the glue was shot, the clickstick had broken off (worked better that way), and the screen had a couple of good scratches.

We paid the $$, got an rma, and ZAP we got back our Legend that was good as new- it was completly refurbished with new screen, seals, clickstick and sporting the latest software. BTW, Garmin sent it back within a week, and via second day air! We love those guys!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Minex:

I use my etrex occasionally for geocaching, and use it quite a bit for navigating around while driving. However, I've had my Legend for about a year and a half and its definately falling apart on me.

1) The glue isn't holding the rubber on anymore, so its starting to come up in alot of places. I assume that this will cause issues in the units water resistance. Can I just glue it back on? What kind of glue works ok?

2) The screen is going wierd on me. When I turn it on, every other horizontal line isn't being drawn. I have to hit it against my hand to get it to work correctly. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do here?

3) I never had this problem until a few months ago. I had to wedge something inside the battery compartment to keep the battery from moving around... otherwise, the unit spontaneously turns off if it moves around too much.

I don't think I use the unit enough to warrant these issues, and for the money I payed, one would think that it would last longer.

The rubber around the outside has nothing to do with water resistance. The screen, however, is a problem. If if happens very rarely, usually when the unit gets hot (sitting on a car's dash in the sun for a while, for example), then I wouldn't worry about it. But it sounds like your problem is worse. I'd call Garmin and arrange to have it repaired. This is a known problem, so they they may fix it for just the cost of sending it in.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

As Prime mentioned, the Legend screen problem is a known issue, and judging by the posts here, affects at least 50% of Legends by the 12-18 month mark. In almost all cases, it is caused by the ribbon cable working loose, and having poor/no connection with one or more of the connectors for the actual display. Garmin will fix this, and even if the unit is no longer under warranty, it's still cheaper to have them do it then to buy a new one. There was a thread in here a few months ago where someone described how to repair this ribbon cable yourself; I couldn't find it, but it sounds a little dodgy to me anyway!

I've had my Garmin for just about 12 months, and I just got it back from Garmin today for both of these problems.

I had heard of the rubber-band problem before, and just figured I would stick it out until I could find some of the "superglue for rubber" talked about in other posts.

Then the screen problems started getting bad. I shipped it off to Garmin ASAP. They got it back in less than a week. As far as I can see it is like new. It is not the same unit I sent in (checked serials), but definitely in better shape, and they took the time to transfer my waypoints over.

I expected hassles because I was so close to warranty, but they never even asked for proof of purchase, just sent me an RMA number.

Their gear may have a few problems (whose doesn't?), but their service does seem to make up for any little gotcha's.

quote:
Originally posted by tirediron:

As Prime mentioned, the Legend screen problem is a known issue, and judging by the posts here, affects at least 50% of Legends by the 12-18 month mark. In almost all cases, it is caused by the ribbon cable working loose, and having poor/no connection with one or more of the connectors for the actual display. Garmin will fix this, and even if the unit is no longer under warranty, it's still cheaper to have them do it then to buy a new one. There was a thread in here a few months ago where someone described how to repair this ribbon cable yourself; I couldn't find it, but it sounds a little dodgy to me anyway!

I have a hard time believing that the ribbon cables are just "working themselves loose". Are you sure it isn't being caused from abuse, like dropping the unit a couple of times? I can see how that would dislodge the cable, but just using the unit gently shouldn't cause the problem.

Using Opera 7.1

quote:
I have a hard time believing that the ribbon cables are just "working themselves loose". Are you sure it isn't being caused from abuse, like dropping the unit a couple of times?

I think it might have a bit more to do with how and where you use/carry it. Mine has been either been in a backpack or a computer case every day since I bought it, meaning a lot of moving around. Also, I used it in my car (and rental cars) as well. Lots of time vibrating whilst attached to a windshield. If you only use the Legend on the weekends, you might have better luck....

The rubber on mine actually ended up tearing, and I decided to do the repair myself.

I used Black Max from LocTite (product#380). I'm not entirely happy with the results. Some parts are coming loose again, though the main repair (the tear) is holding well so far.

Reading more on their website, I think product #404 or maybe #411 would be better.

Be careful using these.. this stuff is industrial strength adhesive, and you really CAN glue a lot of parts of yourself to odd things if you're not careful. Read the materials safety data sheet on these. In general, if you get a small amount (a drop or two), you can run it under cold water to catalyze the adhesive and then it will only be bonded to one piece of skin, rather than bonding two pieces together. If you get a LOT on you (unlikely if, like me, you're using a 1 oz tube of the stuff), then the catalyzation will cause it to release enough heat to cause burns.

-- Mitch

Call Garmin and see what they'll do for you. My Legend was repaired, free of charge, despite being WAY out of warranty. They will do what they can to make you happy. The excellent customer service made me decide to stick with Garmin when I purchased a second unit.

The empty can rattles the most...

I've had my Vista replaced twice due to the display problem. The first one also lost the rubber band. I cleaned off the residual glue with an alcohol-based detergent, then glued it back with Cyano XL from Scantech.

The current one I got in February, and it's now showing the first signs of loosing the rubber band. It seems that it can't take the heat during the summer.

Anders

Has anybody though of creating a padded craddle for the eTrex units?

I would think that would help out alot with the problems people are having. Also a padded cradle would reduce the possibility of a momentary break in the battery connection, causing the unit to shut off. The bicycle is the worst punishment for any GPS, without a padded cradle to hold the GPS. Maybe a Double cradle, where the GPS is firmly mounted in a cradle, but Cushioned from the vibrations of the bicycle frame. I have bought a GPS mount for my bicycle, but will not use it.

An ugly way to do it, would be to mount an electrical outlet box on your bicycle hadlebars, and suspend the GPS in the box with rubberbands.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

Well, here's the response I got from Garmin :

quote:

From what you describe, the unit needs repair service. We offer a flat rate

of repair for the Etrex Legend of $99.00 If you would like to arrange

repair for your unit, please contact us at our toll free number below. Thank

you.

dadgum, that seems rather pricey. I've always wanted to switch to the Vista, so now I'm debating if I should spend the $100 to repair the Legend, or use this opportunity the just buy me a new Vista...

Vistas are going for around $250

However, Call Garmin's Customer Support at 1-800-800-1020 and tell them that you've heard that a lot of Legends are having the exact same problem and tell them that it looks like a design flaw. I'll bet they'll lower the price. If they do get an RMA number while you've got the guy or girl on the phone.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

quote:
Originally posted by volks_ev71:

I have a hard time believing that the ribbon cables are just "working themselves loose". Are you sure it isn't being caused from abuse, like dropping the unit a couple of times? I can see how that would dislodge the cable, but just using the unit gently shouldn't cause the problem.

And I have a hard time believing that people would willingly jump from a perfectly good aeroplane with only an over-size handkerchief to slow their fall, but they do it! Seriously though, as it’s been explained, by people who seem a great deal more knowledgeable than I, the problem originates because of a less than perfect design of the ribbon-cable connector which is exacerbated by the normal lumps and bumps that so many GPSr units receive in regular use. I don’t know how accurate that assessment is, but I have seen enough information on it, both here and in other forums that I give it a fair amount of credence.