How Much Will 1 Meg Hold ?

Guest mojo

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by mojo:

The etrex legend has 8 meg of memory for downloadable data, the Vista has 24. Is 8 meg enough for a whole state map or topo?

Depends on the state, of couse. Texas? Nope.

And in some cases, you should be able to load an entire state, but the state may be split between 2 or more regions.

Guest myotis

You can use three kinds of maps.

Metroguide is for a large region. Each map is about 6 to 7 megs.

Roads and Recreation. Each county has a map usually about 300 k

Topo USA

They are for areas.

I used to have a GPS III+ which held 1.4 megs. That worked, but for every trip you had to load maps.

I got the Vista now and love it. 8 megs is a lot of memory and would likely be enough, but I still reomend the Vista.

Guest Hard Slate

So, if I was going cross country with the legend I better bring a laptop and software?

and you say the road and rec software loads by county?

Guest Elwood

i have the etrex vista and the mapsource topo maps and 24 meg will take almost the whole state of utah, all but 6, 7.5 minute quads before i get a "may not fit" message.

Elwood

P.S. thats 107 maps total in 24 megs

[This message has been edited by Elwood (edited 13 July 2001).]

Guest k2dave

I have the 1.4m 3+ and topo usa. I can usually get 4-6 quads loaded. Never had less then 4 which is a good thing since where you want to go might be on the corner of the 4 (so you need all 4). IIRC streets and trips have smaller file sizes so you should be able to load more. 8 m would be nice (when I got this I thought that 1.4 was a little stingy) as it wouldn't require reloading segments.

Doing a quick check CT needs 7.44m for the entire state including overspill. TN takes 32mb. don't have the topo west handy.

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:
Originally posted by Hard Slate:

So, if I was going cross country with the legend I better bring a laptop and software?

That depends on how much detail you want while on the trip. The basemap has the major highways, and that remains even if you load the new maps on top of it (at least it has with mine.) You can just load up the detailed maps for your destination. If you want the detailed maps all the way, then yes you should probably take the laptop along.

quote:

and you say the road and rec software loads by county?

Most maps cover one county. If the county covers a lot of area, it's sometimes split up into two separate maps.

One problem I've had is that some maps are out of date, and others are very current, and there's not any obvious way to tell which maps are out of date (no date of editing, etc.)

-- Mitch

[This message has been edited by PneumaticDeath (edited 13 July 2001).]