Handspring Visor

Im Looking at getting a handspring visor "edge"

the coolest visor/pda ever anyway i was wondering if any one has used the expantion pack for GPS the germin one it lookis good and its got an average of 15 meters to point which is like 49 feet wondering if i should do that or not

Support Open Source

If you want an organizer, go with the handspring. I have one and consider it indispensable. If you are looking for a GPSr, buy a GPSr. I have an old saying that goes: “Anything designed to do more than one thing will do more than one thing not very well”. OK, so it’s not that great.

My opinion is that you will be disappointed with the organizer/GPSr. The biggest drawback to me would be that it’s not waterproof. You might think you’ll never Geocache in the rain but believe me you will. The accuracy you mention seems abysmal too. There are a number of threads regarding GPSr choices.

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

I love my Visor. I especially love the springboard slot. They have so many optional modules it's amazing.

I'm using it with the Magellan GPS companion. It works pretty good. It gets me to within 20-30 feet of the cache most times. I usually get a real strong sat. signal.

Now for a little back ground. I already had my Visor when we discovered Geocaching. My husband went out and bought a Magellan Meridian and we used that to start out with. After we were both hooked we started talking about getting a second unit for me. We looked at the basic Etrex and the Magellan 315 and the GPS companion. We were leaning towards a 315 when my husband found the Companion on sale for $80.00 w/ a $50.00 mail in rebate. He didn't have to think twice, $30 for a GPSr was a steal!!!!

For the type of caching I do it works just fine. I'm a fair weather 1/1 type cacher since I usually have my two little boys with me. I wouldn't want to try and use it in bad weather on on a high terrain difficulty cache. The visor is a bit to fragile for that.

Hope this helps.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

I have a Handspring Visor Pro and I love it. With both my Deluxe and my Pro I have found the Magellan GPS to be very accurate. The advantage to the GPS-PDA combo is that you can add and change the software. Want mapping? No problem, there are several available for download. Want a GPS geared for Pilots? No problem, there are several available for download. The weakest area of the PDA-GPS combo is the software for trails. GeoNiche (which requires Palm OS 3.5) is the best, and is as good as most stand alone units.

That said there are problems with all in one unit. Palms are not designed to work in the rain, and they are more fragile.

If I had everything to do all over again I would buy the least expensive stand alone GPS that would also hook up via a cable to the Visor. That way you can enjoy the best of both worlds, a dedicated GPS that is made to be in the woods, and you can still download different mapping and piloting software, or even write your own.

Dan

When I first decided to get a GPS, I was most interested in something to add to my Visor Delux. The thinking was that I could get a camera springboard module and a GPS springboard module and then have the best of both worlds. icon_smile.gif

A review on GPS options for the Visor reported that the currently available selections were not very good with the sole exception of the Magellan GPS Companion. The main problem being how fragile a PDA is in the woods and how vunerable they are to water. icon_eek.gif

I ended up getting a Garmin Etrex Vista as a dedicated GPSR instead and recomended it highly. icon_cool.gif

I have since purchased the Magellan GPS companion and two different cameras for my visor (Targus HandCam and the highly recomended EyeModule2). Since Handspring has announced that they will discontinue support for the springboard slot in their new phone/pda line, icon_frown.gif I have seen prices drop for the modules and have scarfed up a bunch from the PalmStore. At the very least, make sure you have a PI CF card reader with the latest drivers. icon_biggrin.gif

When I first decided to get a GPS, I was most interested in something to add to my Visor Delux. The thinking was that I could get a camera springboard module and a GPS springboard module and then have the best of both worlds. icon_smile.gif

A review on GPS options for the Visor reported that the currently available selections were not very good with the sole exception of the Magellan GPS Companion. The main problem being how fragile a PDA is in the woods and how vunerable they are to water. icon_eek.gif

I ended up getting a Garmin Etrex Vista as a dedicated GPSR instead and recomended it highly. icon_cool.gif

I have since purchased the Magellan GPS companion and two different cameras for my visor (Targus HandCam and the highly recomended EyeModule2). Since Handspring has announced that they will discontinue support for the springboard slot in their new phone/pda line, icon_frown.gif I have seen prices drop for the modules and have scarfed up a bunch from the PalmStore. At the very least, make sure you have a PI CF card reader with the latest drivers. icon_biggrin.gif

The little yellow Etrex can be found for around $100 most anywhere. That is with out cables. I think you can buy them extra but I don't know that for sure.

I agree with the above statements about the software. The programs that came with my unit are okay. But you can download everything from a very simple gps program to much more complex tracking and maping ones. Palmgear.com has a huge selection you can browse through.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

You want the coolest PDA around....check out the Sony Clie NR70, uses the palm o.s., plays MP3's, videos, big screen, highest resolution and sweet color. So far as a GPS goes, don't get a modual of any sort, get a real stand alone GPS. I like the little etrex's compact, shock and water resistant. Good gadgets. You can link one up to your palm device if you like.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I don’t think you should give the concept of “blending in” much consideration in your choice. I have never pretended my GPSr was a cell phone or any of the other ways to conceal what it was. People may look at you funny but that’s not because they’re suspicious. It’s because you’re holding and staring at a cool looking gadget. They probably will want to ask what it is, and will if you make even the slightest eye contact. I would be far more concerned if I saw someone talking into their Garmin…………

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................