GeoNiche Wishlist Poll

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Edwards:

What catagory of features would you like to see in GeoNiche?

"Yes."

Seriously, I wanted to vote for more than one category. #1 and #4 are somewhat interdependent, though, in that you can't get data into TopoUSA without first getting it to your PC.

So, I decided to vote for "good documentation of file formats and other interfaces so others can write useful supporting software." That doesn't necessarily mean a conduit, or even an app on the PC. As long as the format of the PDB records is documented, I'd be happy.

warm.gif

I've stored 2-300 waypoints in my gps and still have room for more. And I have some downloaded and saved on a laptop. I wish there were some way to have folders on the gps that would allow quicker access. Examples might include folders on geocaching sites (placed/found), family, office, upcoming trips, etc. Maybe others have solutions I've not considered yet.

When I made the poll I pretty much posted every feature I wanted. If the poll would allow for more then 5 questions there would have been even more choices and combo's

So even for me I wanted to vote for every one, but I wanted to see what other people felt about it.

When I wanted to program, my dream was to make something like Geoniche that would wirelessly sync to the Geocaching web site. It would have the ability to pull your current location from the GPS and pull of a list of the closest caches. Click on that cache and it would pull up the description... That was my dream anyway icon_cool.gif

When I made the poll I pretty much posted every feature I wanted. If the poll would allow for more then 5 questions there would have been even more choices and combo's

So even for me I wanted to vote for every one, but I wanted to see what other people felt about it.

When I wanted to program, my dream was to make something like Geoniche that would wirelessly sync to the Geocaching web site. It would have the ability to pull your current location from the GPS and pull of a list of the closest caches. Click on that cache and it would pull up the description... That was my dream anyway icon_cool.gif

If they had room for six questions, that was the one I was going to put next.

I used to work for HP and I had a Jornada from them, liked it ok, but there was no software for it at the time. When I went to make my own software I found it a royal pain. So when I had to get my own PDA I went with the Visor, mostly because of software and the fact I could write my own for free.

That said, I was amazed that HP had the smarts today to dump the Jornada line in favor of the i-Paq. The i-Paq is the best of the PocketPC line. At last someone to give Palm a run for the money.

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

Mapping ability

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I thought about that, but there are so many good mapping programs out for the palm. I mostly just use mapping software to get me to the general area of the cache. It's at that point that I find my software lacking.

ahh but to be able to have all my geocache locations on my Palm, with maps, and ability to get the directions from my house to the geocaches would be great. I do all this right now using M.S. Streets and Trips, but I would like to be able to get rid of the laptop on the trips and just take along my clie'. Mapopolis is a good mapping program, but you can't put a bunch of waypoints in. It seems they all are limited in some way. An all in one ap would be great.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

Maybe your looking for a meridian?

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Sure there you go throwing LOGIC into a discussion! Yea that would be a great solution.

What attracted me to having a GPS on my Palm was the idea that I could customize it anyway I wanted. But then there was reality with how much time I have available. How much time to I want to take away from Geocaching to make a Geocaching program.

I think what I will move to is getting a stand-alone GPS that I can connect to my Visor. This would give me the best of both worlds. Customizable GPS software, and a dedicated unit that does what it does best. If I stuck the dedicated unit on top of my backpack, it would have a great signal and the cord would help to protect my Visor if I dropped it.

Now you see the amazing ability of my mind to take a perfectly logical solution, and turn it into a much more expensive and time consuming adventure!

God I love being a geek in the woods! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Dan Edwards on May 09, 2002 at 07:22 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

Maybe your looking for a meridian?

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Sure there you go throwing LOGIC into a discussion! Yea that would be a great solution.

What attracted me to having a GPS on my Palm was the idea that I could customize it anyway I wanted. But then there was reality with how much time I have available. How much time to I want to take away from Geocaching to make a Geocaching program.

I think what I will move to is getting a stand-alone GPS that I can connect to my Visor. This would give me the best of both worlds. Customizable GPS software, and a dedicated unit that does what it does best. If I stuck the dedicated unit on top of my backpack, it would have a great signal and the cord would help to protect my Visor if I dropped it.

Now you see the amazing ability of my mind to take a perfectly logical solution, and turn it into a much more expensive and time consuming adventure!

God I love being a geek in the woods! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Dan Edwards on May 09, 2002 at 07:22 AM.]

I ment that the new firmware with the meridian alows you to save waypoints/routes and track to the SD card. You could create a set of Geocaching waypoints, contact waypoints, personal waypoints, and say fishing waypoints. You could save this on the card, then when you want to switch waypoints delete the orginal ones (easy to do) then load another set of waypoints (easy to do also). With this you can also add the geochacing waypoints to your personal waypoints right on the GPSr (no cumputer need after wards). You can also save all 2000 points of a track log and save it with a costimized name (same as waypoints).

The best part is you can have as many waypoints or tracklogs as you want. The don't even take up that much memorey.

Wyatt W.

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

ahh but to be able to have all my geocache locations on my Palm, with maps, and ability to get the directions from my house to the geocaches would be great.

Solus 3.0 from Delorme can do that. It will create the directions for free from any Delorme product. If you pay for a subscribtion you can download the directions and maps directly from your palm from a phone or wireless modem. I find Solus a pretty good program for urban navigation, but useless for the geocaching hunt itself.

I see something on the Delorme web site about a new product for handhelds called Xmap. I have not been able to find out any real details about what this program does. I get the idea it is basicly Solus 4.

Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Garmen (& Women) Group:

I've stored 2-300 waypoints in my gps and still have room for more. And I have some downloaded and saved on a laptop. I wish there were some way to have folders on the gps that would allow quicker access. Examples might include folders on geocaching sites (placed/found), family, office, upcoming trips, etc. Maybe others have solutions I've not considered yet.

You could assign icons by topic. At least you could then sort by Icon on the computer. If the manufacturers would add search by icon in addition to search by "nearest" or by "name", that might help in the field.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

You could assign icons by topic. At least you could then sort by Icon on the computer. If the manufacturers would add search by icon in addition to search by "nearest" or by "name", that might help in the field.

Alan

I have only used Geoniche briefly on a borrowed Palm OS 3.5 device so I don't know for sure, but it does support Palm catagories and it has icons, so the program may already have this ability. If so that would be a nice start for a program that is shooting to be more powerful then a standalone unit.

Dan

quote:
Originally posted by root72:

Please, Please, Please may I have GeoNiche for version 3.1? I was unlucky enough to buy a Geode by Geodiscovery.com and to say the least, it is lacking.

Well the results of the poll pretty much go along with that. It shows that a lot of people are stuck with 3.1 You can pretty much see how many have 3.5 or higher by looking at the poll too. I doubt anyone with 3.5 would vote for 3.1 support.

This is annoying to developers because now they have to support old versions of the Palm OS. That either requires two versions of the program, or conditional statements up the wazzu depending on what version of the OS the user has, leading to bloatware. If I had a time machine I would go back and beat Handspring with a wet noodle until they put a flashable rom in all Visors... But I don't...

I am lucky I am going to get a new Visor Pro in a week or so, but I would like to be able to have my friends with Deluxes use this program too. I mean I am going to be selling my Deluxe to someone, and it very well might be a geocacher.

Dan

All I can say is wow! This program is worlds better then Nav Companion! After I got my Visor Pro this morning, the first thing I did was snap in my GPS and see if Nav Companion was any faster. Not that I could see. Once you get a few waypoints in that thing it becomes a real dog. Even with double the processor speed I did not really notice a difference.

Then I downloaded Geoniche and had it guide me to a waypoint. Wow talk about fast. I have only used it with a GPS for a few minutes, but that was enough for me to run online and register it. Magellan should dump Navcomp and just ship this instead.

This weekend I will give a real test and then write a review of it.

Dan