Reminder: Waypoint file converter, merger and tool for LOC, GPX and MPS (Mapsource) formats

Huga

Some of you already know, but I see questions popping up from time to time so thought I'd remind y'all.

Having deciphered the Mapsource .mps file format, I've written a nifty little utility that greatly assists users of Garmin's excellent Mapsource product.

Whereas previously to get .LOC files downloaded from this site (or GPX pocket queries) into Mapsource, one had to upload them all to the GPSr then download into Mapsource, my program, EasyMPS will do it for you. (GPSBabel will do a similar thing, but EasyMPS is a bit more specific so users that don't use other formats find it a bit easier to use).

The basic features of EasyMPS are:

* It can import waypoints from .LOC files (both downlaoded from Geocaching.com and saved from EasyGPS and ExpertGPS), .GPX files and .MPS files

* It can export to .LOC, .GPX and .MPS files

* It can export to a temporary file that it then opens directly in Mapsource

Advanced features:

* Command-line scripting to automate common tasks (importing/exporting/opening in Mapsource)

* Can set/change waypoint icons

* Can set/change waypoint display properties (name only, description only etc. in Mapsource)

* Can modify waypoint names in GPX imports (so Virtual caches get a VCxxxx number, Multicaches a MCxxxx number and so on)

* Drag'n'drop functionality

* Option to add an entry to the right-click menu for .LOC and .GPX files to open them directly in Mapsource!

* A few more features that I forget about.

The program is still in active development, and I'm always keen to hear suggestions, requests for featuers, bugs and problems. The more bugs and problems I fix, the better it'll be!

So get on over to www.iancowley.co.uk/caching/ and check out EasyMPS. Sorry for the shameless plug, but it's a handy tool. For conversion to a zillion other file formats, check out GPSBabel too.

Contact me at easymps@iancowley.co.uk with questions, comments, bugs etc.

Happy caching!

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**