Waypoints, Edit multiple waypoints

I am looking for software that will let me edit multiple waypoints simultaneously. What I want to do is to change the Icon and whether or not the text will show up on the GPS/map. I have a GArmin GMSmap 76 and Garmins lame Mapsource software and several other map programs like EasyGPS but none of them will let me select multiple waypoints and set the attributes all at once. As it is you must edit each waypoint separately and that can be a real pain when you download them by the hundreds.

Remember this: A friend will help you move; but a good friend will help you move a body.

Originally posted by bodisafa:

What I want to do is to change the Icon and whether or not the text will show up on the GPS/map. QUOTE]

If you can detail for me what fields are involved, I can check if you can do it with CacheMaps. If not already supported, I can add that feature.

Another point is the output format you need for your Garmin GMSmap 76. Is this format supported by GPSBabel? If so you can create it from CacheMaps.

So, it can be done. Just give me the details.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

-- there is no spoon --

I have sortof the same problem.

When downloading caches from the site, they all have the regular waypoint symbol,,, I want to change their symbol to the geocahce one. But I have to do one at a time.

FORMAT: I would like to use the format that EasyGPS uses. (.loc) Sence that is the program I do all my easy, enicial, quick editing in.

I believe EasyMPS (yep, MPS, not GPS) will do what you need. It also combines multiple .loc files into a single file quite nicely. The developer, Ian, is very responsive to inquiries. Check it out. Best yet, it's free!

EasyMPS

97740_3100.gif

"I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once." - Daniel Boone

I am using garmin's MapSource and DeLorme Street atlas maping programs. Depending on what i am doing i download the needed icons (waypoints) to the GPS unit or to the map programs. When for instance i download an entire regions' geocaches (usually several hundred) i am forced to manually change the icon and the waypoints properties (text display on/off) manually. This is a real pain. If i can set these properties and save them in the Garmin format I can download them to the GPS or mapsource with the properties intact and i think I can do the same for Delorme but i'm not sure.

thnx.

Remember this: A friend will help you move; but a good friend will help you move a body.

Anders is right, GPS Trackmaker will allow you edit them all at once. It's free and worked great once I updated a .dll also provided as a free download on the same site. It will not read the .loc file directly (at least I cannot get it to do that), but it can accept the output from your GPSr for edit and reload.

The selection process of the waypoints to edit is still a little cumbersome, but is manageable. For example, in the few minutes I have played with it, I cannot find a way to select all waypoints beginning with "gc", but other searches work almost as well.

Here's the site: GPS Trackmaker

97740_3100.gif

"I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once." - Daniel Boone[/i

Use the 'deficon' feature in GPSBabel when writing to either your Garmin serially or when creating the mapsource file to change all your waypoint icons on the fly.

If the input is a gpx file with Groundspeak extensions (i.e. you're a member using pocket queries) GPSBabel can create different icons for different cache types. From what I can gather, though, programs like Spinner allow you more control on the icon creation and the renaming...

http://www.p-terminator.nl/geocaching/gartrax.php?lang=english The previous link is the answer to my own question. THIS IS IT! it works and is easy to use. All the things i asked for in one easy to use program AND ITS FREE!. This is What Garmin's MapSource has needed from the begining. They are fools if they dont buy this software from this guy. It imports EasyGPS format and many more and exports to Garmin Waypoint and .mps format .gps and more and it lets you edit multiple waypoints simultaneously i.e. you can change the symbol for 500 waypoints and set their display properties at the same time. too cool!