What model GPS is everyone using?

Guest Gweebaroo

Guest Gweebaroo

I'm just getting started here and am excited - the first trip is already planned. This is just what I needed - another hobby (lol). Anyway, I have been using the ETrex Summit for about 8 months now and combined with DeLorme Topo USA I'm excited about future treasure hunting trips. Let's spread the word and populate this new game!

I use the eTrex , though now I wish I had the eTrex summit (with the altimeter and compass). I'll probably end up purchasing an antenna since I hear that other units get better reception (and we're very woody in the Northwest). Is there an external antenna for the eTrex?

Welcome aboard!

Side note - I answered my own question, and found an antenna for the eTrex - Pretty pricey ($65 US) but it does work with a variety of GPS units, including the eTrex.

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 12-20-2000).]

Guest Mike_Teague

I use a Garmin GPS III and an Etrex...

Jeremy, where could you even hook an external antenna to on the etrex? Garmin does not even make an external antenna for it...

It fits in the place where you put your serial port connector. The car power adapter also fits in the slot, and I believe there is a serial/car power adapter combo out there.

It's that rubber cover on the back of the eTrex up at the top. There are 4 copper connectors there.

Reading the site, it looks like the external antenna is powered by the batteries in the eTrex.

Jeremy

I'm using my Garmin 12XL that I've had for 3-4 years now. Still works like a charm so I have no need to replace it (unless I can stumble across one of thos III+ units for $99). It doesn't support uploaded map images, but that's not a necessary option anyway.

Guest Mike_Teague

Jeremy.. I think you might want to doublecheck before you buy that antenna.. All the info I can find on the web suggests that the etrex does not support an external antenna... The Emap does, evidently, perhaps they got them confused when they wrote their ad...

Also the wiring diagram in the manual only shows Power, Ground, and data in / out... nothin bout antenna...

Guest discofever

antennas for the eTrex, with the exception of the Tri-M Big Brother Re-Radiating antenna, which is both expensive and you have to hack it slightly to make it portable.

magellan trailblazer (1994) until it started flaking out. a garmin gps III+ now.

btw, the magellan antenna egg (if you've seen on you'll know it looks like the l'eggs pantyhose egg) works great with the garmin gps III+.

I ordered the Garmin eMap a couple days ago. Should be getting it some time today. I've already got a stash put together and a spot picked out to plant it. All I need is to get the device.

------------------

Guest Richard Amirault

Well, found my first Cache with my "ancient" Garmin 45 (old 8 channel unit)

But I happened to find a close-out at Wal-Mart that I couldn't pass up, so now I'm using the Garmin III (not the III+) and it's great!

Guest swangner

I'm using the Magellan GPS Companion for the Palm V. Decent performance, although I had to write my own software for it to get all the features I wanted in one place.

I used a Garmin III+ on my first cache hunt. I picked up and etrex real cheap icon_smile.gif when Office Depot closed them out. I will probable use that for the next hunt. I sort of felt like I was cheating icon_wink.gif using the topomaps in my III+.

Matt

I used a Garmin III+ on my first cache hunt. I picked up and etrex real cheap icon_smile.gif when Office Depot closed them out. I will probable use that for the next hunt. I sort of felt like I was cheating icon_wink.gif using the topomaps in my III+.

Matt

Guest Jim Reese

I currently use a Garmin GPS45 (oldie but goodie). However, I just ordered a GeoDiscovery Geode which plugs into the springboard socket on my Handspring Visor. Makes moving map display, electronic compass, etc. It also uses the FAA augmentation system which should increase the accuracy significantly.

I'll report back as soon as it arrives and I get to play with it...

------------------

---Jim

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:

Where does an external antenna mount on Etrex???

There is no way for an external antenna to mount on an eTrex unit. The web site I listed earlier was in error.

Jeremy

Guest justincredible

Originally I was going to get the Etrex model (yellow one, $100). Read it had trouble under trees and heavy foliage. Was then going to get the Magellan 315. I thought it had a compass, it does not.

Question: I'm a beginner but want a unit that will work well ( <= $150). Any ideas? Does the Magellan 315 work well for people? Anyone had any trouble with it? What does the Magellan 315 have that the cheap [yellow one, $100) ETrex does not? Are the "extras" worth it?

ThanX

Guest andysolo

cant feature, but i think you can get around this "problem" by making multiple waypoints w/the etrex-i think jeremy told me this when i was deciding between the two. i've had no problem w/the 315 under tree cover, or any trouble with it at all. i've had it about 2 months and I like it alot.

i managed to pay 124$ incl. shipping and tax, via staples.com, e-mail me and i'll explain how to do it...i posted about it awhile back and would rather not be redundant...

andysolo@mindspring.com

andy

[This message has been edited by andysolo (edited 01-08-2001).]

Guest jeremy

I really like my eTrex, but I'd probably buy the 315 now that I've been cache hunting for a while, especially out here in the Pacific Northwest where the trees can get pretty thick.

The eTrex is pretty good though - The only time I've really had a difficult time was in a narrow valley with lots of trees. If you're patient you can still get coordinates.

Of course, It makes it that much more challenging. It's hiding a cache where you really want a good fix on your position.

Jeremy

Guest donovano

The Magellan 315 does not have a compass, but it does have a direction finder. It displayes a compass face with a sun and moon icon. You point the icon towards the sun or moon (whichever is appropriate) and then your compas is correctly oriented to north. you do not need to be moving for this and while not as good as a real compass, it does help with general directions.

quote:
Originally posted by justincredible:

Originally I was going to get the Etrex model (yellow one, $100). Read it had trouble under trees and heavy foliage. Was then going to get the Magellan 315. I thought it had a compass, it does not.

Question: I'm a beginner but want a unit that will work well ( <= $150). Any ideas? Does the Magellan 315 work well for people? Anyone had any trouble with it? What does the Magellan 315 have that the cheap [yellow one, $100) ETrex does not? Are the "extras" worth it?

ThanX

Guest rbarron

I bought an eTrex Summit recently and I'm happy with it, for the most part.

I've tried to download track data from it using DeLorme's Topo USA 2.0 but I always get an error. When in Garmin mode it almost never works, not even the current location reading. I know the device is hooked up OK because when I switch everything to NMEA output it works like a charm. But that's useless for downloading the tracks. If anyone has an idea I would love to hear it.

Robert

Guest jeremy

There may be no current support for the eTrex summit with the Topo waypoints.

It's a guess, but an educated one. We've been investigating the Garmin protocol and it varies quite a bit between models. I do have a Topo map but haven't yet used their GPS software.

Jeremy

Guest rbarron

Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. I suspect you are right. I'll start a new thread asking about software that people KNOW works with eTrex Summit. I'm anxious to get working with this thing!

Guest MaasNeotek

I use the Garmin GPS12 - A friend and I bought it and an eTrex at the same time... the verdict? The eTrex is getting returned this weekend.

It's slow to update, slow to aquire, and requires a STUPID proprietary connector to attach to PC Serial....

PS - Why no 'Canada' listed in the regional groups below? icon_smile.gif

Guest MaasNeotek

I use the Garmin GPS12 - A friend and I bought it and an eTrex at the same time... the verdict? The eTrex is getting returned this weekend.

It's slow to update, slow to aquire, and requires a STUPID proprietary connector to attach to PC Serial....

PS - Why no 'Canada' listed in the regional groups below? icon_smile.gif

Guest philgolden

I recently bought a Magellan 315. I mean real recent. From all the research I have done, that being alot, I found that FOR THE MONEY it is probably the best one on the market for general GPS'n. ($119.00 at buy.com with a coupon)

If you want to use your GPS ONLY for travel and vacationing, then I don't recommend the 315 -no hwy mapping. But if you are like most of us, and need a GPS for caching, 4X4 trail riding, horseback riding, hunting, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, etc... your money is best spent with the 315. Lots of waypoints, routes, and legs...Rugged and waterproof - and at 7.0 ounces WITH batteries, it even floats. Great for dense areas... Hope this helps! Help protect our environment while caching!

------------------

Phil

[This message has been edited by philgolden (edited 01-15-2001).]

I have a Garmin GPS III+, and I love it. Good software from the PC (no mac SW :-(, works well on the water, too (Man overboard, course made good, velocity named good).

I have a convertible, which is also great for GPS (don't need to leave the receiver on the dash, signals penetrate the vinyl roof).

Guest johnvale

I have an Garmin eMap and it works very well.I use the MapSource Metroguide USA software. Today I used the Garmin 27C Remote GPS Antenna in my car for the first time and was very pleased with the performance.

Guest MaasNeotek

Jeremy,

From what I saw at that page, the antenna is for the Garmin III+ not the eTrex. There isn't any external connection capability for it....

Guest DataFerret

I am new to Geocaching, but have had a Garmin GPS12 for some time. I got it as part of a software development project for "location inventory" of exotic plants and have been trying to figure out what to use it for. Now I know! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest DataFerret

I am new to Geocaching, but have had a Garmin GPS12 for some time. I got it as part of a software development project for "location inventory" of exotic plants and have been trying to figure out what to use it for. Now I know! icon_biggrin.gif

I am using a GPS III+ that I stumbled across in a pawn shop last year. (My lucky day!) I've been sold on having a GPS since a hunting buddy used one to walk out of the woods on a very dark and stormy night 2 years ago. He had been tracking an elk he had shot and it was dark before he finished cleaning it. The next day we were able to walk to within 75 feet of it, no problem. Thanks to the military for dropping the wobble last year!

Speaking of Elk Hunting. My little brother alway calls my GPS the GP-S.O.B. He is not much of a gadget person and likes to make fun of my gadgets. None the less I bought him an eTrex for his birthday a few week before he went Bow hunting for elk in Colorado. I think he would have be happier with some other hunting gear but... He called me back after the trip and and thanked for the GPS. He had gotten several miles from his camp and gotten completly turned around in a valley late one afternoon. He said he would have never made it back to camp that night if it had not been for his eTrex and the cheap pin on compass he had. Every once in a while GPS's are not only fun but make life much easier.

Matt

I'm new to the sport of Geocaching but I 4x4/camp/hike alot.

I've been using a Lowrance/Eagle GlobalNav 212 ever since they were first released a number of years ago.

It works greats.

Guest CoastCacher

I have a Magellan 330. It seems incredibly accurate. The connection to the PC to use the MapSend software was a royal pain (details to anyone that wants help. BTW the management of waypoints by the software SUCKS, so be careful or your routes will be rendered useless). BUT...I have detailed info for Los Angeles, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, and my local area uploaded to it, and have used less than half the memory. The screen is small but entirely usable, color would be nice, but at the price and for my uses I can live without it.

I recently acquired the Magellan GPS Companion for my Palm V. The innards of this beast are the same as the magellan 315, but you have the added bonus of being able to use nifty mapping functions on the Palm... Since the output is simply NMEA data, any NMEA-compatible application can give this $140 unit similar functionality to some of the higher-end models. If you take it on a multi-day camping trip, however, make sure you have means with which to recharge the internal batteries on the Palm V. The Handspring Visor and its version of GPS Companion may be better suited for this, as the Visor takes the same standard AAA batteries that the GPS receiver does.