What model GPS is everyone using?

Guest Gweebaroo

Guest geofred

I have been using my Emap for about a year and a half and think it is wonderful. I have the Mapsource Streets & Topo CDs. In reviewing the products, after owning one for quite awhile, the Emap still looks like a great buy. The memory chips make changing maps--cross country driving--very easy and you get great detail. I live in Colorado and can put half the state on one 8mg.

I think, but don't know, that other Garmins will only go to 20mile detail. With my chip I get to 120ft. I like that feature alot.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by geofred:

I think, but don't know, that other Garmins will only go to 20mile detail. With my chip I get to 120ft.

Actually, they all zoom in to 120 foot scale, which is what I think you mean. A limit of 20 miles wouldn't be very useful in most instances!

Guest Quinnow

I was using the Garmin IIIPlus, but now I am also using the Garmin Vista. Not sure which one I like better yet, but will know soon when I use them to lcoate a cache. whichever one does the best job will get the job!

Moun10bike hasn't posted that he has a Vista yet...why?...ohhhhh, I forgot, his didn't come yet! icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

I was using the Garmin IIIPlus, but now I am also using the Garmin Vista. Not sure which one I like better yet, but will know soon when I use them to lcoate a cache. whichever one does the best job will get the job!

Moun10bike hasn't posted that he has a Vista yet...why?...ohhhhh, I forgot, his didn't come yet! icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Moun10Bike

UOTE>quote:

Originally posted by Quinnow:

Soon the taunting will end! icon_smile.gif UPS tracking says my Vista is on its way (currently en route to Denver, should have it up here in Washington by Thursday)! Whoo-hoo!!

Guest Moun10Bike

UOTE>quote:

Originally posted by Quinnow:

Soon the taunting will end! icon_smile.gif UPS tracking says my Vista is on its way (currently en route to Denver, should have it up here in Washington by Thursday)! Whoo-hoo!!

Guest mcandyman

I just purchased the etrex vista form gpsnow.com for 299.00 I prefer to buy from REI but why spend 350 plus tax when you can get it for 304 online? It works great but I haven't had a chance to see how long it runs on a set of batteries yet. I'll post something when I find out.

-mark

Guest Kickaha Ota

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Actually, they all zoom in to 120 foot scale, which is what I think you mean. A limit of 20 miles wouldn't be very useful in most instances!

I think I can see the confusion here. All the Garmin units I know of will zoom in to a 120-foot scale. However, the basemap in just about all Garmin units is only accurate to a 20-mile scale. In other words, if you zoom in to anything more detailed than a 20-mile scale, then the displayed positions of roads, landmarks, etc. won't always be accurate. (The locations of waypoints and tracks are accurately displayed, so you can still find caches. But don't count on the cache being just east of Sixth Street because it shows it that way on the map.)

Many Garmin units allow you to use Garmin's Mapsource software to download more detailed maps to the unit; if you're in an area that you've downloaded a detailed map for, the displayed positions of roads, landmarks, etc. will be accurate all the way down to the 300-foot scale. Some units (like the eTrex Vista) have the extra memory for detailed maps built-in; other units (like the eMap) require you to buy a memory card.

If your Garmin unit says "overzoom" just below the scale indicator, then you've zoomed in beyond the resolution of the map. If it says "mapsource", then you're using a downloaded detailed map.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha Ota:

I think I can see the confusion here. All the Garmin units I know of will zoom in to a 120-foot scale. However, the basemap in just about all Garmin units is only accurate to a 20-mile scale.

Ah, I wondered if I had misunderstood. As for the accuracy of the Garmin basemaps -- is the 20 mile scale the case for areas outside of the US or North America? Inside the US, I have always seen 3 miles as the max zoom before getting the overzoom warning.

You forgot my good old Garmin GPS 38... icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

I was curious and had nothing better to do so I tallied up the thread so far and here is the totals.

Garmin III+: 8

Garmin eTrex: 6

Garmin eMap: 6

Magellan 315: 6

Garmin Etrex Summit: 4

Garmin 12: 4

Magellan 330: 4

Garmin III: 3

Garmin 45: 3

Lawrance/Eagle GlobalMap 100: 2

Garmin Street Pilot Color: 1

Garmin 12Map: 1

Garmin 12XL: 1

Garmin 40: 1

Magellan TrailBlazer: 1

Magellan GPS for Palm V: 1

Magellan GPS for Handspring: 1

Lawrance/Eagle GlobalNav 212: 1

The above number are totals by model and if you said you owned two GPS than I counted both. I don't claim these are exact I did not double check the numbers real carefully.

And if you care the totals by brand are:

Garmin: 38

Magellan: 13

Lawrance/Eagle: 3

Later

Matt

You forgot my good old Garmin GPS 38... icon_smile.gif

quote:

I was curious and had nothing better to do so I tallied up the thread so far and here is the totals.

Garmin III+: 8

Garmin eTrex: 6

Garmin eMap: 6

Magellan 315: 6

Garmin 12: 4

Garmin III: 3

Lawrance/Eagle GlobalMap 100: 2

Magellan GPS for Palm V: 1

Magellan GPS for Handspring: 1

The above number are totals by model and if you said you owned two GPS than I counted both. I don't claim these are exact I did not double check the numbers real carefully.

Garmin: 38

Magellan: 13

Lawrance/Eagle: 3

Later

Matt

This thread is definitly crusing along, so I though I would update the tallies.

Garmin III+: 9

Garmin eTrex: 9

Garmin eMap: 7

Magellan 315: 7

Garmin 12: 6

Lawrance/Eagle GlobalMap 100: 5

Garmin III: 4

Garmin Vista: 2

Magellan GPS for Palm V: 2

Magellan GPS for Handspring: 2

Garmin 48: 1

Garmin 45xl: 1

Garmin II: 1

Magellan 310: 1

GeoDiscovery Geode GPS Handspring: 1

Garmin: 51

Magellan: 17

Lawrance/Eagle: 6

GeoDiscovery: 1

Later

mcb

P.S. Where are all the Garmin II+ users. That was my first GPS. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I sold it icon_frown.gif when I bought my III+ but I thought I would see a couple geocachers out there still using the good old II+. I like the feel of the buttons on it much better than my III+.

P.P.S. Has any one tried a cache hunt with one of those Casio GPS watches. I think those are the ultimate geek toy and despite my geek status with my "girlfriend with two rings" I can't justify the price tag. But they look pretty cool. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by mcb (edited 20 April 2001).]

Garmin III+: 9

Garmin eTrex: 9

Garmin eMap: 7

Magellan 315: 7

Garmin 12: 6

Lawrance/Eagle GlobalMap 100: 5

Garmin III: 4

Garmin Vista: 2

Magellan GPS for Palm V: 2

Magellan GPS for Handspring: 2

Garmin 48: 1

Garmin 45xl: 1

Garmin II: 1

Magellan 310: 1

GeoDiscovery Geode GPS Handspring: 1

Garmin: 51

Magellan: 17

Lawrance/Eagle: 6

GeoDiscovery: 1

Later

mcb

P.S. Where are all the Garmin II+ users. That was my first GPS. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I sold it icon_frown.gif when I bought my III+ but I thought I would see a couple geocachers out there still using the good old II+. I like the feel of the buttons on it much better than my III+.

P.P.S. Has any one tried a cache hunt with one of those Casio GPS watches. I think those are the ultimate geek toy and despite my geek status with my "girlfriend with two rings" I can't justify the price tag. But they look pretty cool. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by mcb (edited 20 April 2001).]

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:

I am now a happy eTrex Vista user (though I am also keeping my GPS III+ for external antenna use)! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:

I am now a happy eTrex Vista user (though I am also keeping my GPS III+ for external antenna use)! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Chazhenry

Does anyone know anything about the Brunton Mult-Navigation System GPS? I ran across one at a good discount at a local store that is going out of business, but I can't find anyone that is familiar with the unit. I've been to the Brunton web site, but the information there is pretty limited compared to Garmin. I'm particularly interested in the Map Storage features (compared to the III+ or the Vista).

I just read a Newspaper article about this sport a little over a week ago, and I think I've now justified buying my first GPS receiver, so its just a matter of making a decision. This thread has provided quite a bit of information. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Chazhenry (edited 23 April 2001).]

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by Chazhenry:

Does anyone know anything about the Brunton Mult-Navigation System GPS. ... I'm particularly interested in the Map Storage features (compared to the III+ or the Vista).

This unit is also marketed under the Silva name and is available at our local REI stores. Seeing it next to the eTrexs and Magellan 315/330s makes it look huge. As for map storage, it's very simple - it has no maps. Seems about equivalent to the eTrex Summit, not the Vista, but at a much higher price.

Guest Mongoose

Being brand new to this sport I ordered a Garmin ETrex Legend this weekend. I have not seen anyone comment on this model. Does anyone else out there have it ?

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose:

...Garmin ETrex Legend... Does anyone else out there have it ?

I had been using a Garmin 38. It worked great in finding caches. I just upgraded to the Legend and am VERY happy with it. The display is much sharper than the 38, and the receiver is much better - it even acquired lock inside my house. I didn't want the barometer or electronic compass, but I did want some mapping capability. I also wanted the multiple routes and tracks that the Legend has. You should be very pleased with it.

Bob

Guest Mongoose

Perhaps we will meet sometime, We are moving to Phoenix in January. My wife says the hiking there is great.

Are there anymore features on the "Legend" that you like over your other models ?

Guest bob_renner

quote:

Perhaps we will meet sometime, We are moving to Phoenix in January. My wife says the hiking there is great.

Why wait until January? Move here in July so you'll know immediately whether or not you can stand the heat!

Your wife is right. There are all sorts of hiking opportunities here. Winter hiking in the desert and summer hiking in the mountains.

quote:
Are there anymore features on the "Legend" that you like over your other models ?

Are you from Slidell, LA or Slidell, TX?

The Legend lists both of these cities in its database.

Bob

Guest Mongoose

Bob,

We have to wait until Jan because that is when I am retiring from the Navy. Then I have to find a job!

Anyways, We live in Slidell LA. The Legend has a data base built like a search engine ?

I doubt the heat there can be much worse than stewing in this humidity, at least that is what my wife says.

Guest bob_renner

quote:

...The Legend has a data base built like a search engine ?

Press the find button, select Cities, select By Name, then start spelling the name.

quote:
...I doubt the heat there can be much worse than stewing in this humidity, at least that is what my wife says.

I agree with your wife, but it's still HOT.

Bob

Guest cliffy

I'm still using an old Magellan GPS 2000. Just started Geocaching and already found a couple of caches. One last week that took me thru 2 hours worth of dense forest and mountainy terrain. That old thing takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'......lol I gotta admit I'm really eyeballin' the Garmin E-trex Legend at the local store though.

Guest mkral

Can anyone who has used both offer any suggestions on the Garmin III+ vs. an extex (any model) I've got it narrowed down to those 2, but now I'm not sure which would make the better buy.

thanks,

Mark

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by mkral:

...Garmin III+ vs. an extex (any model) ...

Check http://www.garmin.com . They have a product comparison chart to show all the differences.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 25 April 2001).]

Literally just bought a MAgellan315. Hasn't picked up a position yet. Anyone know where to get tips & faqs on this stuff. User manual is good for using it, but not in detail.

Tia,

yt

Guest Mag315

Tia

you are probably not setup properly.Go to setup and initialize the unit and continue down the list for to the correct time and dates,etc.

Mag315 icon_smile.gif

Guest Mag315

Tia

you are probably not setup properly.Go to setup and initialize the unit and continue down the list for to the correct time and dates,etc.

Mag315 icon_smile.gif

Guest gstrong1

I have been going out on cache hunts with both my III Plus & me eTrex Vista to try to get a good comparison.It seems like when in dense wooded areas,the III Plus is superior,probably because of external antenna.When I reach a cache,the III Plus is usually right on the mark,where the Vista can be off as much as 40 ft.After setting the Vista down at the spot for a few minutes,it seems to settle down & hone on to the right numbers.The Vista is much more compact & being waas compatable is nice but you also sacrifice up time,2 batteries in the Vista vs 4 in the III plus.If I had to pick the one I want to take with me for all around performance, I'll take the III Plus.But both are great units.Just my opinion.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest mkral

Gary,

thanks for the hands on. That was pretty much the kind of info I was looking for. I've got my III+ on order.

Bob, thanks for the Garmin chart, that also shed some light on things.

Mark

Guest Jaspo

Here's my two for the list.

I haven't seen this one yet:

Magellan ProMARK X-CM capable of centimeter level accuracy (post processed) and will be used to place a 'survey grade' cache in eastern Iowa in the near future. Are their many other 'survey grade' caches out there?

My other 'everyday' gps is a Garmin II+

Guest ImaSham

I'm using the Magellan 315 and so far I am very happy with it. Having never used anything else I can't really make any comparisons but so far I have had absolutely no problems and I haven't once said "I wish it could do ...X"

I am sure impressed with the accuracy, especially of my velocity when I am in my vehicle. It ALWAYS matches my speedometer.

I don't believe I have ever had a lock on less than 5 satellites.

This is great fun!

Guest Scoundrel

I am using the Magellan GPS Companion for the Handspring Visor Deluxe. I find that having the ability to copy/paste cache info from the website into the palm OS and review it while trying to find the cache site is very handy. I don't have a lot of experience with different GPS units, but I'm told that this combo makes for a very feature-rich GPS.

[This message has been edited by Scoundrel (edited 29 April 2001).]

Guest muffinx

I am very, very new to this and puchased a Magellan Map 410. It was a closeout so I think I went for price. I found my first cache today and it had me within 20 feet of the target. BUT it cannot download street maps, only major roads and landmarks, I believe the Magellan Map 330 can download. I was told by Magellan this units purpose in life was for Marine usage. If I get another one, I now know better. I do like the variety of navigation maps and positioning indicators.

Guest Chazhenry

Well after a week or so of reading this forum and everything I could find on other web sites, I finally ordered a Garmin etrex Vista on Thursday. I ordered it from GPS4Fun.com on Thursday about noon, and UPS delivered it Friday about 10:00 a.m. I couldn't believe it. I've just started playing with it, but I do believe this is just about the coolest toy I've bought in a long, long time. Now on to finding my first cache. Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

Guest Mongoose

I just got my Etrex Legend last Thursday and havent put it down since. Easy to learn, in fact I hid my first cache about 3 hours ago.

Talk about a cool toy ! It even aquires position in my house in about 45 seconds.

To all you Garmin guys

Magellan for me. From all of the research that I have done, it seems that there are more and better features (toys) on the Magellan units. And the M units have a better screen too. So what's with you guys?

LK

[This message has been edited by tak1 (edited 30 April 2001).]

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by tak1:

... From all of the research that I have done, it seems that there are more and better features (toys) on the Magellan units. And the M units have a better screen too...

I have to disagree with you on the screen. This may have been true with the older G12 family, but the new eTrex Venture, Legend, and Vista have the best screen resolution I have seen in any GPS unit.

Screen Resolution: and size (inches)

M-315 104x160 2.2x1.33

G12 64x100 2.2x1.5

New eTrex 160x288 2.2x1.2

There's a good comparison of all features at http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/mvsg.htm

The features on the two manufacturers seem fairly equal with advantages and disadvantages to both. The real determining factor to which is best for someone, is personal preference and how well the unit operates in the user's hands.

Bob

Guest GuyMcBeerdrinker

I've been the proud owner of a Garmin eTrex Legend for almost 3 weeks now. I got mine from www.freshtracksmaps.com and they matched a competitor's price, excellent service I might add. My question is, is MapSource the only mapping software that is compatible with it? I would like to buy Topo! but, I think I read somewhere that the Legend is not compatible with it, just Garmin's software (MapSource). Can someone verify this for me?

Guest bob_renner

Guy,

The only software that will download maps to the Legend is the Garmin Mapsource. I haven't used this myself. For my needs right now, the base map in the Legend is sufficient. I can always add routes to get the detail I want.

However, if you want to manage waypoints, create routes, view tracks, etc. and do this on a PC, then there are numerous 3rd party programs which will do this. I have a Legend and use TOPO! s/w for this. I can copy the coordinates from the web into a text file, load this into TOPO! and get a map of the cache area. If I want, I can create other waypoints for the drive to the trailhead, and then make this into a route. All this can be downloaded to the Legend with the TOPO! s/w.

There are other s/w packages to do this and I think the Garmin Mapsource will also do this. I already had the TOPO!

Bob

Guest tak1

quote:
[/b]orinally posted by bob_renner:

I have to disagree with you on the screen. This may have been true with the older G12 family, but the new eTrex Venture, Legend, and Vista have the best screen resolution I have seen in any GPS unit.

Screen Resolution: and size (inches)

M-315 104x160 2.2x1.33

G12 64x100 2.2x1.5

New eTrex 160x288 2.2x1.2

There's a good comparison of all features at http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/mvsg.htm

The features on the two manufacturers seem fairly equal with advantages and disadvantages to both. The real determining factor to which is best for someone, is personal preference and how well the unit operates in the user's hands.

Bob [/b]

Thannks Bob, I stand corrected about the screen. Yes Joe Mehaffey does have a really good website. joe.mehaffey.com

LK

[This message has been edited by tak1 (edited 01 May 2001).]

Guest hikesouthwest

The 315 is a great all-around unit. Despite the lack of a "real compass" it far outpreforms my Garmin for cache seeking. I have had two Garmins and find the 315 a far more reliable unit.

quote:
Originally posted by donovano:

The Magellan 315 does not have a compass, but it does have a direction finder. It displayes a compass face with a sun and moon icon. You point the icon towards the sun or moon (whichever is appropriate) and then your compas is correctly oriented to north. you do not need to be moving for this and while not as good as a real compass, it does help with general directions.

quote:
Originally posted by justincredible:

Originally I was going to get the Etrex model (yellow one, $100). Read it had trouble under trees and heavy foliage. Was then going to get the Magellan 315. I thought it had a compass, it does not.

Question: I'm a beginner but want a unit that will work well ( <= $150). Any ideas? Does the Magellan 315 work well for people? Anyone had any trouble with it? What does the Magellan 315 have that the cheap [yellow one, $100) ETrex does not? Are the "extras" worth it?

ThanX

Guest Byron

asn't been mentioned. A Magellan ColorTRAK. It's a little large, but seems to work quite well. It lead me right to my first,(so far only) cach. It also lead me cross country right to a trail junction I wanted to find.

No electronic compass, but I wouldn't rely on an electronic compass anyway. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking, and my primary method of navagating is, and will remain, paper map and magnetic compass. The GPS is used to when I want to save myself a long backtrack and now for geocaching.