What model GPS is everyone using?

Guest Gweebaroo

Guest Nostromo

I have the Garmin eMap. I like it but wish I had purchased the 8 meg memory module, auto charging cable, pc connection cable and map CDs as a complete bundle. That stuff is expensive purchased seperately.

I am going to buy the rubber case with the vinyl cover, since it is supposed to protect it from moisture.

Im using the etrex for now, its getting returned tomorrow for the Magellan 330x package with maps !

[This message has been edited by Dino (edited 02-06-2001).]

Magellan 315. I like the way I can easily bounce between WGS84 Lat/Long and Australian Grid 84 UTM on the position screen. Makes it easier to use our topographic maps.

Plus I got it at the right price.

I'm yet to get into software but I believe Oziexplorer is compatable.

Guest ecbraun

I have tried the Garmen eMap and the Magellan MAP 330.

The Magellan MAP 330 was far superior to the eMAP. And at less than half the price, it's my pick.

I tested both units under the same conditions.

In my hotel room (2nd floor of 3 story building facing N): the 330 found 6 satellites and locked in with no problem, eMap found no satellites.

In an airplane: (in a window seat) the 330 followed right along, the eMap never found a signal.

In the car: the 330 performed excellent, the eMap had trouble keeping the signal unless I held the device under the windshield.

I picked up the 330 at REI for $250 and it included a coupon for the $50 map CD.

The eMap was almost $400 and the software was an extra $150.

REI also gives a patronage refund.

I returned the eMap and software when I tried to upload the map data for Portland (OR) into the eMap. I recieved an error that there wasn't enough memory. I even reset the device to erase the memory. I did get data for LA to load, and it was pretty impressive.

-Erik

Guest MountainLion

I use an old Garmin GPS12. It works really well. I routinely use it in my Camry, in valleys, etc. with no problems. I think the key is the12 channel-parallel reciever. It seems to me that anyone considering buying a GPS unit for this sport should make sure they're getting a -parallel- reciever. But then again, since I'm using an older GPS, I have no idea what the cost difference between a parallel and a multiplexing reciever is these days. BTW the functional difference between these two is well explained in mcb's post in the General forum/pinpoint location thread. IMHO compasses and altimeters are just luxury add-ons for a GPS unit . My husband's compass from his boy scout days works just as well (and a new one is just 7-15 bucks). Besides, this way we each have something to carry. icon_smile.gif

Guest MountainLion

I use an old Garmin GPS12. It works really well. I routinely use it in my Camry, in valleys, etc. with no problems. I think the key is the12 channel-parallel reciever. It seems to me that anyone considering buying a GPS unit for this sport should make sure they're getting a -parallel- reciever. But then again, since I'm using an older GPS, I have no idea what the cost difference between a parallel and a multiplexing reciever is these days. BTW the functional difference between these two is well explained in mcb's post in the General forum/pinpoint location thread. IMHO compasses and altimeters are just luxury add-ons for a GPS unit . My husband's compass from his boy scout days works just as well (and a new one is just 7-15 bucks). Besides, this way we each have something to carry. icon_smile.gif

Guest DrunkenBard

I've been using a Magellan 300, and I just picked up a Lowrance GlobalMap 100 that seems great except for its habit of munching batteries.

------------------

I just purchased a Magellan for my handspring. I have never used a GPS before, but I am a handspring freak and the more toys for it the better. Anyways, I placed my first cache today in San Antonio Tx with my kids and we had a blast. I set several waypoints and it was very accurate. I am also able to download maps into my Handspring, so I get GPS and map navigation. I like the GPS plot mode the best. Only place I have waypoints are my office, home, church, the stash we created (on geocaching.com) I like it a lot. Negative is that at night with my handspring in back light mode, my batteries do not last long.

Guest Quinnow

By far the best GPS out there would have to be the Garmin III Plus...reason being that When I bought it and came home with it, I sat in the livingroom for an hour playing with it. Then came in my wife, she asked me how much it cost and I told her...she hasn't spoken to me since!...ahhh, nice and quiet!...Thank You Garmin!

Just found my first cache today using a

Garmin color map. A little heavier than the hikers ones, but more useful to me when i'm driving in strange cities. and it still gets the job done. (that and a compass)

Had a great time icon_smile.gif

Just found my first cache today using a

Garmin color map. A little heavier than the hikers ones, but more useful to me when i'm driving in strange cities. and it still gets the job done. (that and a compass)

Had a great time icon_smile.gif

Guest winnebago

quote:
Originally posted by philgolden:

I recently bought a Magellan 315. I mean real recent. From all the research I have done, that being alot, I found that FOR THE MONEY it is probably the best one on the market for general GPS'n. ($119.00 at buy.com with a coupon)

If you want to use your GPS ONLY for travel and vacationing, then I don't recommend the 315 -no hwy mapping. But if you are like most of us, and need a GPS for caching, 4X4 trail riding, horseback riding, hunting, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, etc... your money is best spent with the 315. Lots of waypoints, routes, and legs...Rugged and waterproof - and at 7.0 ounces WITH batteries, it even floats. Great for dense areas... Hope this helps! Help protect our environment while caching!

The Magellan is not waterproof. It is water resistant per the new claim from Magellan. I found out the hard way. KAPLOONCH !! Although it is an excellent unit(315), I recently upgraded to the Magellan Map 330. For the money(250$ with software) ,it can't be beat. Look out Garmin!!

Guest jmarkantes

I'm currently using the 12MAP and totally digging it! I use it a lot for roadtripping and some hiking and boating. I love the R&R mapsource! It gets down to the tiny, barely passable "roads" that we often end up on! It's also fairly small (for a mapping unit) and rugged, which is great when hiking.

Jason http://markantes.com/jason

I just picked up a Garmin III on eBay using it for Jeepin. Might have to try this Geocahing thing since I have a few places nearby. icon_wink.gif

------------------

Now where the hell am I?

I just picked up a Garmin III on eBay using it for Jeepin. Might have to try this Geocahing thing since I have a few places nearby. icon_wink.gif

------------------

Now where the hell am I?

Guest Krepism

quote:
Originally posted by Hamster:

Hahahah, that brings up a whole new topic. Women and Geocaching. I'd be interested in knowing how many women are involved in the sport (not being dragged, but actually going willingly)

My wife goes with me all the time. She even has the habit of goes for another cache when we have decided to call it a day. She even went out and bought the all the items we needed to plant our Geocache. And... She has been searching up and down for places to plant one. So I have also noticed in Utah that there is about 30-70 split. Strange for Utah, but I am glad to see it.

Last fall I purchased a Garmin E-Map. Used it first for 4 wheeling in the forests of southern Ohio. Have added a 32mb memory chip so that I can have 4 regions in memory at once. (I live on the border of two regions so I needed at least at 16mb chip.) The combo power cord/data cord is great for the car!

Can't wait to create my first GeoCache with it! I may even employ my jetski to hide another one later this year.

Happy Hunting!

Guest dhill00

I purchased an eTrex at Wal-Mart two days after I saw the CNN story about Geocaching.

So far it has worked well. The first time I went hunting a cache, I stood directly over it and the unit told me I was three feet away. Not bad.

I have seen mixed reviews on the eTrex reception which makes me wonder if the quality is inconsistent. Although I have not used it in dense forest yet.

All-in-all, for the money, I think it is a great value.

One word of advice I have seen repeatedly and agree with totally is to buy a compass to use when you get close. It will save you a lot of wandering around.

Happy Caching!!!

[This message has been edited by dhill00 (edited 02-21-2001).]

Guest BigFig

I'm using a Garmin GPS III - and love it.

I was using Loran C for land navigation - great if you don't need to get any closer

than half a mile icon_smile.gif

Guest BigFig

I'm using a Garmin GPS III - and love it.

I was using Loran C for land navigation - great if you don't need to get any closer

than half a mile icon_smile.gif

Guest thepuck

P>The Good:

+ I must say, even back in ?94 it was quite accurate & would lock onto the satellites very quickly.

The Bad:

- Has an awful ?RED? LED backlighting.

- It ?EAT?S? six AA batteries in less than two hours.

- When you have it on for more for more than 15-20 minutes it generates quite a bit of heat too.

- Huge.

- Had I known of the bad points (or had actually use this one) I probably would have never purchased it.

- Stopped working in summer of ?98.

Fast forward to May 2000: I purchased the Magellan 315, which is currently using the v3.07 firmware.

The Good:

+ I really like this small easy to use, customizable, very accurate & nice large display unit.

+ Battery life is very, very good (12-14 hrs).

+ Outdoors it will be up and ready to go with 4-8 satellites in 30-40 seconds! I?ve even had it lock onto 2-5 satellites in two to four minutes indoors!

The Bad:

- Some text is really, really small on a couple of screens.

- That?s the only bad point I have found for my use.

June 2000: Two weeks after getting the M315, I also decided to get the Garmin eMap & currently using v2.63 firmware.

The Good:

+ Battery life is also about the same as the M315.

+ Love the ?Trip Computer? screen!

+ Nice GPS info screen ?Acquiring Satellites?.

The Bad:

- The base map isn?t really that accurate.

- Satellite lock is somewhat slower than the M315 (not much though).

- Not as customizable as the M315.

Here are two great accessories for the eMap:

The 'Euro Design Phone Holder' made by Samsonite. The model number is: 727G

The Phone holder is a long flexible neck design. It mounts on the windshield or any smooth surface with its ?Super Suction Cup? adapter. It also comes with a screw-in disc to mount on any other surface. It was $19.95 at Target.

Custom-Fit 'Leather Case' also made by Samsonite for the Nokia 2100 series phone. The model number is: GXM 940G.

The Leather case fits the eMap precisely with the full-length clear plastic window to see the screen and buttons. It was $9.95 at Target.

I sometimes use either the eMap or the M315 in conjunction with my DC290 digital camera to record the GPS info on my photos in certain areas.

-- Wrong year on the Eagle AccuNav Sport.

[This message has been edited by thepuck (edited 03-04-2001).]

I was curious and had nothing better to do so I tallied up the thread so far and here is the totals.

Garmin III+: 8

Garmin eTrex: 6

Garmin eMap: 6

Magellan 315: 6

Garmin Etrex Summit: 4

Garmin 12: 4

Magellan 330: 4

Garmin III: 3

Garmin 45: 3

Lawrance/Eagle GlobalMap 100: 2

Garmin Street Pilot Color: 1

Garmin 12Map: 1

Garmin 12XL: 1

Garmin 40: 1

Magellan TrailBlazer: 1

Magellan GPS for Palm V: 1

Magellan GPS for Handspring: 1

Lawrance/Eagle GlobalNav 212: 1

The above number are totals by model and if you said you owned two GPS than I counted both. I don't claim these are exact I did not double check the numbers real carefully.

And if you care the totals by brand are:

Garmin: 38

Magellan: 13

Lawrance/Eagle: 3

Later

Matt

Guest streamer

I'm using the Garmin 12 which is very user friendly and it's only a few dollars more than the eTrex. I read up on the eTrex and the M315 too. But, it sounded like the eTrex had signal trouble under trees (not good) and the M315's wasn't very user friendly. The Garmin 12 has been just great! Ideal for a new geocacher!

Guest Anton

Greetings!

I have been using the Garmin 12MAP since it came out. I was having trouble deciding between on of the car-dash models with a prism shape (didn't like it) that show maps on the screen, and the 12XL with a handheld shape (liked). Then Garmin came out with the 12MAP and solved my problem. The 12MAP is a handheld model (flat, not prism), and it takes the MapSource CD maps. It's also much more rugged than many other models, making it good for outdoor use.

The next decision was about using my Palm Vx with a GPS. That took a lot of thinking, but then I found the Rand-McNally Streetfinder (also make a Palm III model). This unit is made by Magellan, and is now also sold directly by Magellan. It is also sold with two different map CD sets: Rand-McNally and Magellan MapSend.

The problem was that the Streetfinder software only puts your location on the map displayed on the Palm - no lat/long, altitude, or other GPS functions. Then I found the GPS Pilot company software called Compass. This is great shareware that gives all the usual GPS functions when used with the Palm Vx and the Rand-McNally GPS. I hear it also works with other arrangements whereby you connect a GPS to a Palm. The price is $20, and well worth it. Yes, I always pay for shareware I use and like. That company also makes other GPS-related software for pilots and map-makers.

GPS Pilot - Compass GPS software

http://gpspilot.com/

Now let's hope Garmin will add position averaging and an external antenna connection to the next model in the eTrex series! The external antenna I put on my dashboard to use with my GPS 12MAP in a dashboard bracket really makes a big difference - picks up more satellites with better reception. If your GPS takes an external antenna, and you haven't decided to get one...just do it. Using external antenna will knock you out!

Anton, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]

Guest rharkins

t up to the window.

Found my first cache today, and plan to hide a couple in the next week or so.

For an absolute basic unit, the 310 works very well.

Rick

WØYGH

Guest 300mag

Might as well add in my 2cents. Used to have a old mageland trailblaizer xl wich worked very well but loved to munch on batteries and was slow or sometimes very very slow in locking in. Now i am using a new gm100(lowrance) wich locks in very fast and good even inside my house.It's also very accurate.It also likes batteries but not like my older unit. I am testing the (power save) feature to see if it makes any difference.I really like the zoom in or out feature on this unit(up to 2000 miles) but miss the backtrack feature of the old mageland.

Guest Jude from New Brunswick

Me personnaly I have the Magellan 315 and had real good performence from it.Hasn't let me down.Very low in purchusing price,has the hookups for the pc and for in jeep cig litgher.It floats !!! I drop mine overboard on the Restigouche river salmon fishing last summer,recovered it 536 meters down river.I could tell the distance because it recorded its travel.Though I'd lost it for good.Any way I though I'd put in my 2 cents with a tale.

Good hunting people !! JuDE

Guest Confucious

Hamster

Geocacher

posted 02-08-2001 08:40 AM

Etrex Vs. Magellan 315

Has anyone had both units and used them for Geocaching? I'm curious. Did the 315 get you closer to caches that the Etrex?

Yes and this is what was concluded.Etrex has two models to choose from,Etrex GPS & the Summit.Magellan has three models in the same family.The 310,315 & the latest the330.In marine use the320 & 330M.The models that were compared here...Garmin Etrex Summit,my friends unit,purchase two month ago,and the Magellan GPS 315,my unit,that I purchase a year ago.Price $100.00 different,Etrex being more expensive.We followed a trap line with two cabins and three caches along the way.I guess this is were Geocaching comes from.The cabins are on hardwood ridges and the caches are hidden in ceder swamps.The Etrex lost its batteries after the first cache and cabin.The compass on the Etrex take alot off power and had a hard time in the ceder swamp.At the camp that night we discusse on how to minimize the power of the Etrex.It turn out that the rest off the trip,the Etrex was only good for waypoints brgs and distances like all the other gps.Without the compass feature on it,my friend couldn't continue the trail has he expected to.The Magellan 315 had to continue the line and find the two cache and last cabin.See,this is the way I use My Mag 315,is in conjonction with a Silva Ranger compass and a topo for the three day outting.My friend would have nothing better but to guide me along my line with his new GPS and I would have love for him to.But given the right equipement and knowledge of how to use the GPS,compass and topos,it would have done ok.That last night in camp,we concluded that the Etrex was a lot of bells and whistles for the price and that the Mag 315 was more of the way to go.Don't get me wrong,I have some bells and whistles on my GPS that are turn of,and don't use them at all.Keep your GPS simple and use it with a real compass and topos.Always keep extra batteries on long trips,the cold weather plays a facter in the life of a battery.Well,there is really no comparison here.It's how you are going to use your equipement and buy according to the needs of what you are going to use it.Commonsence prevaled here in this situation.

Confucious

Guest reductch

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

It fits in the place where you put your serial port connector. The car power adapter also fits in the slot, and I believe there is a serial/car power adapter combo out there.

It's that rubber cover on the back of the eTrex up at the top. There are 4 copper connectors there.

Reading the site, it looks like the external antenna is powered by the batteries in the eTrex.

Jeremy

Do you have any experience with the GPA-02 from Wolfe's GPS (www.gpscables.com)? I sent an email to Ron Wolfe the owner and he says that it will work with the e-trax. I would be very interested in your thoughts.

Guest EraSeek

I'm have a Garmin gps45XL and really like all the features on it, but need to upgrade to something from this decade. I here they can see through trees now! mine don't do that so well! I was looking at the etrex but it sounds like that may have reception problems too. Is the Summit any better? Isn't it basically the same unit with goodies? If it is better then the etrex in regards to blocked reception let me know, I may go for it.

Guest Snowtrail

I decided against the Summit because as a gadgethead, I have a Sunnto watch with all the works (digital compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and it still tells time). Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but for now, I don't see the need to.

As for the other line of discussion, I am one of the female geocachers. I like hiking, backpacking, and technology. This is a nice match for my hobbies. My husband doesn't care too much about it, he claims the Army "hiked him out", so he doesn't enjoy it anymore. I don't mind finding some of the easy dayhike caches locally, or even on a long weekend out of town by myself.

It just gives me an excuse to get more gadgets icon_smile.gif

Guest Snowtrail

I decided against the Summit because as a gadgethead, I have a Sunnto watch with all the works (digital compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and it still tells time). Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but for now, I don't see the need to.

As for the other line of discussion, I am one of the female geocachers. I like hiking, backpacking, and technology. This is a nice match for my hobbies. My husband doesn't care too much about it, he claims the Army "hiked him out", so he doesn't enjoy it anymore. I don't mind finding some of the easy dayhike caches locally, or even on a long weekend out of town by myself.

It just gives me an excuse to get more gadgets icon_smile.gif

Guest Quinnow

This is turning out to be a very nice thread.

I am hoping that as people get the new Vista that they will show their opinions here on how it works and responds. I want one in the worse way and have been tossing back and forth the idea of getting on the waiting list. But I want to make sure that it is worth the money before I do so.

So please for those of you that are buying the unit, drop some feedback on here for us cowards that lack the nerve to jump right in with both feet to buy one. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-29-2001).]

Guest Quinnow

This is turning out to be a very nice thread.

I am hoping that as people get the new Vista that they will show their opinions here on how it works and responds. I want one in the worse way and have been tossing back and forth the idea of getting on the waiting list. But I want to make sure that it is worth the money before I do so.

So please for those of you that are buying the unit, drop some feedback on here for us cowards that lack the nerve to jump right in with both feet to buy one. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-29-2001).]

Guest emato

I am using an eTrex (my first GPS unit). Nothing to compare it to, but so far it's been great. Works in the car on the dash, hanging around my neck (although I usually hold it while hiking) and even can pick up sats. from upstairs in my townhouse! Of course I live in the 'flatlands of Florida' so ...

It's great on canoe trips! I wouldn't canoe the Everglades anymore without it! It's small, light, bright icon_wink.gif the yellow color has been very helpful locating it in the dark as well as in the sawgrass when dropped!

I am just starting to check out various software programs for waypoint entering/editing so have no opinions on that yet.

Oh, and as to the question of females - well, count me in on that too. I love hiking, camping, canoeing and just about anything and everything else that can be done outside. The army didn't burn me out on hiking (or maybe I've since forgotten) and the FL sunshine keeps me outside.

Happy Trails!

Guest emato

I am using an eTrex (my first GPS unit). Nothing to compare it to, but so far it's been great. Works in the car on the dash, hanging around my neck (although I usually hold it while hiking) and even can pick up sats. from upstairs in my townhouse! Of course I live in the 'flatlands of Florida' so ...

It's great on canoe trips! I wouldn't canoe the Everglades anymore without it! It's small, light, bright icon_wink.gif the yellow color has been very helpful locating it in the dark as well as in the sawgrass when dropped!

I am just starting to check out various software programs for waypoint entering/editing so have no opinions on that yet.

Oh, and as to the question of females - well, count me in on that too. I love hiking, camping, canoeing and just about anything and everything else that can be done outside. The army didn't burn me out on hiking (or maybe I've since forgotten) and the FL sunshine keeps me outside.

Happy Trails!

Guest Silver

I like the Garmin GPS-12. It has a large display and all the buttons can be used 1-handed while hiking. I bought it for a little over $100 on a military base.

It has a dataport for up/downloading waypoints and routes. It also has an external power port to connect to a 12V power source. I bought the connectors and soldered it together myself. You can get "try before you buy" connectors at http://pfranc.com for all the Garmin units.

I like connecting the unit to my car's 12V supply while I am driving to a cache site. Then I unplug it and continue on to the cache using the unit's batteries. Saves a LOT of battery power.

The GPS-12 is a good 12 channel receiver that hasn't let me down yet. Two smilies icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Guest Silver

I like the Garmin GPS-12. It has a large display and all the buttons can be used 1-handed while hiking. I bought it for a little over $100 on a military base.

It has a dataport for up/downloading waypoints and routes. It also has an external power port to connect to a 12V power source. I bought the connectors and soldered it together myself. You can get "try before you buy" connectors at http://pfranc.com for all the Garmin units.

I like connecting the unit to my car's 12V supply while I am driving to a cache site. Then I unplug it and continue on to the cache using the unit's batteries. Saves a LOT of battery power.

The GPS-12 is a good 12 channel receiver that hasn't let me down yet. Two smilies icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif