spedo accuracy

Guest highboy

Guest highboy

does anyone know how accurate the spodomoder is on a gps unit. I have a garmin emap and my friend as a lowrance. whenever we use them in a car on the highway the gps says 70 mph and the car says 75 mph. this is true for several different cars.

Guest Nemesis

You can expect an accuracy of around 0.1 mph, this is far better than any car speedo. For maximum accuracy, ensure that you are driving in a perfectly straight line when you take your measurement.

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest Iron Chef

With the help of my local police force (who thought that the gps speedo was wicked cool), we tested out the accuracy of the Garmin eTrex Venture and found it to be right on. The error was maybe + or - 0.1 mph if at all. So really the difference was quite nominal when compared to what would show up on their radar after a few tests. I found out that my truck's speedo was off by +3 mph, so it looks like i can get everywhere 15 seconds faster now! ;~P

-Iron Chef

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 02 June 2001).]

Guest Silver

I would think that any device that can tell you your position within 30 feet, anywhere on earth would have to be pretty accurate. icon_smile.gif

I have my Garmin GPS12 in a cell phone holder on my dash and it reads exactly the same speed as my speedometer.

Because the speedometer can be affected by anything the changes the relationship between the original tire size (like new tires, under - or over-inflation) and the speedometer gearing (or electronics), I would trust my Garmin over my speedometer.

Silver

Guest Silver

I would think that any device that can tell you your position within 30 feet, anywhere on earth would have to be pretty accurate. icon_smile.gif

I have my Garmin GPS12 in a cell phone holder on my dash and it reads exactly the same speed as my speedometer.

Because the speedometer can be affected by anything the changes the relationship between the original tire size (like new tires, under - or over-inflation) and the speedometer gearing (or electronics), I would trust my Garmin over my speedometer.

Silver

Guest floatch

us a very accurate speed in terms of 0.01 miles/hour. I tried riding around the neighborhood comparing my bike computer speed to my Magellan 315 speed, and they were very close to agreeing. I think the difference was about .5 miles/hour. The reason I say I'm a geek is because I couldn't just ride my bike to enjoy the weather, I have to consult two different computers as I ride to satisfy my curiosity. Any other bike geeks out there that combine geocaching with mountainbikes? Makes for a really fun search!

------------------

Magellan was the MAN!

Guest Monz

quote:
...Any other bike geeks out there that combine geocaching with mountainbikes? Makes for a really fun search!

[/b]

Yeah... bought a ram mount for the vista and it is always on the bars... tend to use the sight 'n' go feature a lot on the bike when off-roading, gives you a course deviation and correction so you can follow whatever trail you like and still manage to get to your destination (or I could just look up and see the pub I suppose hehehe)

Guest kbraband

I mostly road bike (not mountain) and the GPS mounted on the handle bars is great for that. I find that my Cateye bike computer indicates slighlty higher speeds and longer distances traveled by about 4% compared to the Garmin eMap, so I probably need to adjust the bike computer. Also, it's way cool to have the eMap on board, because other cyclists see it and know that it's the biggest, baddest bike computer on the road.

Guest c_oflynn

Hey floatch! I've got a mag 315 as well!

I bike, but don't have a bike computer. Don't really need it. But I am a geek icon_wink.gif I've got a few designs for homemade bike computers, but never got around to making them. So I combine biking + GPS + electronics

, what fun!

-Colin

Guest c_oflynn

Hey floatch! I've got a mag 315 as well!

I bike, but don't have a bike computer. Don't really need it. But I am a geek icon_wink.gif I've got a few designs for homemade bike computers, but never got around to making them. So I combine biking + GPS + electronics

, what fun!

-Colin

Guest c_oflynn

Hi again, just thought of this;

I'd think that the GPS would be more accurate than a bike computer. The on-board one will be accurate, BUT it won't account for slip. So if your wheel is spinning, but your not going anywhere the GPS would be more accurate. However on city roads will perfect traction then it would seem the bike computer would be more accurate. Hmm, just my $0.02 (plus applicable tax).

Colin

[This message has been edited by c_oflynn (edited 21 June 2001).]