ExpertGPS vs. Ozi Explorer

pizzachef

I have not tried Ozi at all. I started with EasyGPS and then moved up to purchasing ExpertGPS when I found that it did virtually everything I wanted it to. That was 4-6 months ago and Dan Foster (Topografix) has steadily put out new versions with added features. The latest feature, currently in beta test, allows you to import a digital map or photo and calibrate it to display waypoints, tracks, and routes onto it.

Lou Catozzi

Originally posted by pizzachef:

Anyone have a specific preference? Or are they pretty comparable? I've tried the trial of ExpertGPS but the maps have holes in them until you buy it, and I haven't tried Ozi yet, but probably will.

Thanks,

-pizzachef

[/quote

I like Ozi for same reason Raouljan does. Before I knew about geocaching, I often used old (early 1900's) scanned maps to find old house foundations and other long gone landmarks with my GPS. Plus, I can take a scanned map and edit it in photo software and delete / change colors to make them more readable if I print them out.

I have not used ExpertGPS so I have no input there.

Me and that dog are gonna take a walk in the woods, and only one of us is coming back...

I'm casting a vote for ExpertGPS. I haven't used Ozi Explorer, but I will tell you about EGPS.

For starters, I wouldn't want to be without it. I can...

download tracks from when I ride my atv. I now have trail maps of my favorite riding areas. I have given these maps to others who don't use a gps and they really appreciated them. One time there was a place I wanted to ride to that I found on the map. I didn't want to just mark a waypoint and find it so I used the draw tracks button and made myself a trail. When I downloaded it to my gps, I followed the tracklog just like I had already been there. Deja Vu?

Research cache locations before I go. All you have to do is download the waypoint using the link on the cache page and it will find the correct aerial or topo map and show the waypoint. Then I download all waypoints into my gps. No more button punching icon_cool.gif

Before my Garmin V, I used it to make routes for my basic Etrex. You can use Mapblast with it to download routes into your gps. It will point you to every turn. Check it out here!!! It works very well.

Use the "Waypoint Data Downloads" to find interesting places and visit them.

I just can't say enough in favor of ExpertGPS. The 'waypoint data' and the 'Mapblast' feature alone has been worth the cost of the program.

Hope this helps.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

I'm casting a vote for ExpertGPS. I haven't used Ozi Explorer, but I will tell you about EGPS.

For starters, I wouldn't want to be without it. I can...

download tracks from when I ride my atv. I now have trail maps of my favorite riding areas. I have given these maps to others who don't use a gps and they really appreciated them. One time there was a place I wanted to ride to that I found on the map. I didn't want to just mark a waypoint and find it so I used the draw tracks button and made myself a trail. When I downloaded it to my gps, I followed the tracklog just like I had already been there. Deja Vu?

Research cache locations before I go. All you have to do is download the waypoint using the link on the cache page and it will find the correct aerial or topo map and show the waypoint. Then I download all waypoints into my gps. No more button punching icon_cool.gif

Before my Garmin V, I used it to make routes for my basic Etrex. You can use Mapblast with it to download routes into your gps. It will point you to every turn. Check it out here!!! It works very well.

Use the "Waypoint Data Downloads" to find interesting places and visit them.

I just can't say enough in favor of ExpertGPS. The 'waypoint data' and the 'Mapblast' feature alone has been worth the cost of the program.

Hope this helps.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

So from what KYtrex says I guess they both do about the same thing, I also make ATV maps with mine!

But now I am wondering, does ExpertGPS come with any maps, and if so, what quality? Ozi does not have any maps except for a rather lame world map, just good enough to do some very basic stuff.

Also, Ozi does only save to it's own format, what about ExpertGPS?

Me and that dog are gonna take a walk in the woods, and only one of us is coming back...

OziExplorer and OziExplorerCE

I use OziExplorer because the CE version works so well with my ipaq and my navman sleeve. with the exception of projecting a waypoint it does everything I need it to do. And the authors answer support questions within 24 hours.

Never tried ExpertGPS so I have no comment

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

OziExplorer and OziExplorerCE

I use OziExplorer because the CE version works so well with my ipaq and my navman sleeve. with the exception of projecting a waypoint it does everything I need it to do. And the authors answer support questions within 24 hours.

Never tried ExpertGPS so I have no comment

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

"Muga Muchu" (forget yourself, focus).

I agree with KYtrex. ExpertGPS is great.

brdad, ExpertGPS doesn't come with any maps. Instead, use the program while you're online and it will download the proper maps and aerial photos to your drive. You can then use them without being online. You can download them in different resolutions so that you can zoom in and out instantly.

It's great to be able to look at a map/photo and click on any spot to have it add a waypoint to your listing (which can then be downloaded to your GPS). Great for making routes.

Or, do the reverse. Enter a list of coordinates, click on the photo, and they are added to the photo. I used it at the GPSGoldrush. Before heading out the door I had an aerial photo showing every cache's location and where the heaviest concentrations were; everyone else had a list of numbers.

I was hesitant to buy it, but I am glad I did.

(Haven't used Ozi, sorry. And "no" I don't work for them.)

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

Anyone have a specific preference? Or are they pretty comparable? I've tried the trial of ExpertGPS but the maps have holes in them until you buy it, and I haven't tried Ozi yet, but probably will.

I looked at both Ozi and ExpertGPS a year or so ago. I ended up purchasing ExpertGPS if for no other reason that it was "simpler" to use, in my opinion.

Here;s some pros and cons of ExpertGPS that I can think of off the top of my head:

Pros:

Sucks topo/aerial maps off the internet & caches them on your hard drive. Great if you have broadband. No need to find, convert, and pre-load maps.

Works natively with Geocaching .loc files. No conversion needed.

Imports/Exports several waypoint formats, including ASCII comma-delimited.

Beta version lets you create and callibrate your own maps from images (I think Ozi REQUIRES you to do this).

The TopoGrafix folks are GREAT to deal with for support.

Cons:

It occasionally crashes on the 2 machines I've used it on (Win98/WinME).

Importing mapblast driving directions can be a bit taxing at times (mostly mapblast's fault).

While I rarely use it, the "help" file is (to me) a bit confusing.

Two of the items I'm chomping at the bit over that are supposed to be "in the works" are a PocketPC version, and the ability to import/export Magellan Meridian "flat-ascii" waypoint/track/route files.

Honestly, I think it's the best $60 I ever spent on software...

alexm

One of the things I have found interesting is to download 1:250,000 DEMs (Digital Elevation Model) from

http://edc.usgs.gov/glis/hyper/guide/1_dgr_demfig/states.html

There are several programs that will stitch the individual maps togeter to form a larger coverage area.

Once a map of a desired area is generated, it can be loaded into Ozi. Corner registration is a snap because the map contains "+" marks.

I used this to generate a GIS map for a rural fire department by driving the roads and taking trackmaps. Once the trackmaps were uploaded to Ozi the result was a graphic representation of the topography of the fire district related to the roads. This helped in identifying problem areas (e.g. a S/W facing canyon with restricted road access) and choke-points (e.g. areas with a single in/out).

Not much to do with geocaching... but pretty cool and shows the flexability of Ozi.

Well, they both sound really good. I like that you can import a scanned map into Ozi Explorer, but it seems that Ozi doesn't have maps already associated with it. ExpertGPS uses maps from the web, so I don't have to worry about finding the maps. With Ozi, I'd have to find a map, calibrate it, THEN I can use it for all the cool stuff that it does. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I think I'm gonig to go with ExpertGPS since it uses the format that's already associated with Geocaching.com, and it's already got all the maps..I just have to let them download as I need them.

Thanks for the info everyone!

-pizzachef

quote:

I think I'm gonig to go with ExpertGPS since it uses the format that's already associated with Geocaching.com, and it's already got all the maps..I just have to let them download as I need them.

One little piece of ExpertGPS that bugs me a bit though... ExpertGPS gets it's maps from TerraServer. I'm guessing if TerraServer goes belly-up some day, We're all without new maps. ?

And as a side note, ExpertGPS is about $15

cheaper, I think around $60 versus Ozi's $75...

alex

I use both OziExplorer and ExpertGPS.

ExpertGPS map downloads are not available in Canada, so it gets used mainly for waypoint management, something it does far better than Ozi.

OziExplorer is great for using topo maps purchased on CD, or downloaded Toporama maps stored on my hard drive, something that ExpertGPS does not do.

If I had to choose only one of them it would be Ozi, for the ability to use the "moving map" feature with my own digital topo maps.