Which GPS do you suggest? Etrex Legend or Magellan Sportrak Map?

Hi Everyone,

I think I'm about ready to part with my old Etrex and buy either a Etrex Legend or Magellan Sportrak Map. So, I'm looking for some good advice on which one to buy.

I'm assuming that I'll have to buy one new, so with that in mind, which one should I go for? The main reason I want to switch over to a new GPS is because I'd like to have a detailed built-in map. Which of these GPS's has a better map detail? I'm also curious which GPS has is more accurate and can handle thick tree-cover. The Sportrak Map has a Internal Quadrifilar Helix, which I've heard is better??

From what info I can get from the internet, it seems as though the Sportrak Map is the way to go. Any opinions on this?

Thanks for any help!

capn i have a legend and i'm very happy with it. as far as tree cover goes i haven't had any major problems with it. i have read some logs here from other legend owners complaining about tree cover on certain caches but i've found them after those logs and haven't noticed a problem. maybe i'm just lucky but i've been back in some pretty dense trees and it doesn't seem to bother mine. i hope this helps.

"If you mess with a Porcupine you might just get the quills. LOL I just had to say that"

I had a Legend and a Venture, and got rid of both. The build quality was lacking for such an expensive investment..

Therefore, I wouldn't get the Legend, nor would I get the Sportrak. I would spend the extra money and go for either a GPSMAP 76 or a III+. They are both built a lot stronger than the Legend and do about the same things. You will like what you get too.

Using Opera 7.1

I'll disagree about the build quality of the Legend. I think it's great.

I originally bought a yellow eTrex, much like yourself, and a base SporTrak so I could compare the feel of the two brands. While the SporTrak had more bells and whistles, I couldn't get past the chintzy screen it seemed to have. It wasn't perfeclty flat, like the Garmin -- you could see some waving in it. And the Garmin user interface was much easier to get along with.

I also found little difference between the patch antenna (eTrex) and the quad helix antenna (SporTrak) in terms of performance. I rarely lost a signal with either when geocaching.

In the end, I chose eTrex, but not the Yellow version. I upgraded to the Legend and have no regrets.

I like the buttons on the side. One thing you'll love on the higher-end eTrex's is the joystick on the front of the unit.

As far as detailed mapping goes... I can't tell you one way or the other on that. I'm happy with the Legend's basemap, and I plan to buy the mapping software soon.

So if it's between the Legend or the SporTrak Map, I'd go with the Legend. But, as Cornix pointed out, there appears to be a pretty good deal on the SporTrak Pro, which has more memory.

Good luck.

I have, and carry most of the time both a sportrak map, and etrex legend while hiking, caching etc. I also even have an old GIII+, which should keep volks_ev71 happy.

Of those units, my favorite is the Legend, primarily because of the higher res display, smaller size, and better track recording/moving accuracy. My own experience is that the eTrex's tend to take a beating a little better as well. You could make a pretty good argument for either unit however.

Regarding basemaps, the Legend has quite a bit more detail in it's basemap than the Sportrak map. When compared to the pro, they are a little more comperable. If you're interested in downloadable maps, for most US areas I find the Garmin maps quite a bit better than the magellan offerings, both street map and TOPO. It can vary by area though, so you might want to try and view the different products looking at the region you'll be in most of the time.

Finally, regarding the reception issue, there are a lot of good arguments for both, depending on where and how you'll be using your receiver. The Legend, has virtually the same characteristics as your old yellow when it comes to reception. The gain and filtering on the Sportak is set up a little differently. I tend to agree with the people who argue the magellan system works a little better in heavy tree cover, fairly flat terrain. I also however agree with the people who say the eTrex works better in most moutain/canyon type terrain with or without trees. If you'll be in both types of terrain on a regular basis my personal recommendation would be call reception a toss up, and weigh you decision on other factors that are of importance to you.

Regarding M5 Drivers experience with getting the display fixed on his Garmin, that's nice to know. When I broke the plastic cover of my sportrak the first week I got it, I ended up having to pay to get it fixed, as I've mentioned on my webpage, where you can also find more ramblings about the different units. (See profile for the link)

As one last input, as I mentioned in another post, the deal flying J is offering on the sportrak pro at the moment makes it the best bang for the buck in my opinion. It's the one I personally would choose if I could get it for that price.......

quote:
Originally posted by Searching_ut:

I have, and carry most of the time both a sportrak map, and etrex legend while hiking, caching etc. I also even have an old GIII+, which should keep volks_ev71 happy.

Of those units, my favorite is the Legend, primarily because of the higher res display, smaller size, and better track recording/moving accuracy. My own experience is that the eTrex's tend to take a beating a little better as well. You could make a pretty good argument for either unit however.

Regarding basemaps, the Legend has quite a bit more detail in it's basemap than the Sportrak map. When compared to the pro, they are a little more comperable. If you're interested in downloadable maps, for most US areas I find the Garmin maps quite a bit better than the magellan offerings, both street map and TOPO. It can vary by area though, so you might want to try and view the different products looking at the region you'll be in most of the time.

Finally, regarding the reception issue, there are a lot of good arguments for both, depending on where and how you'll be using your receiver. The Legend, has virtually the same characteristics as your old yellow when it comes to reception. The gain and filtering on the Sportak is set up a little differently. I tend to agree with the people who argue the magellan system works a little better in heavy tree cover, fairly flat terrain. I also however agree with the people who say the eTrex works better in most moutain/canyon type terrain with or without trees. If you'll be in both types of terrain on a regular basis my personal recommendation would be call reception a toss up, and weigh you decision on other factors that are of importance to you.

Regarding M5 Drivers experience with getting the display fixed on his Garmin, that's nice to know. When I broke the plastic cover of my sportrak the first week I got it, I ended up having to pay to get it fixed, as I've mentioned on my webpage, where you can also find more ramblings about the different units. (See profile for the link)

As one last input, as I mentioned in another post, the deal flying J is offering on the sportrak pro at the moment makes it the best bang for the buck in my opinion. It's the one I personally would choose if I could get it for that price.......

That's about all the info I needed. Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif