Garmin GPSMAP 76

Guest devildog

Guest devildog

Hi, have just joined the group and am wondering if anyone has heard anything good/bad or have any experiences with the new Garmin GPSMap 76. It looks like a decent box - supporting an external antenna and have a decent amount of memory. Any opinions? Thanks.

Guest mcb

I'm also very interested in the GPSMAP 76. I am looking for a unit with WAAS support to replace my III+. Everthing I have read so far has said it is a very solid unit an the WAAS support works well. It is very flexible in setting up the amount of and types of data displayed. If you have an older unit then the 8 MB of map memory will probable seem huge but if you compare it to the Vista and eMap then it is a little lacking. The only time this memory size would be a real problem would be if you are using the MapSource Metro CD. You can only load one metro area in 8MB. However if you are using MapSource Roads & Recreation then you can get half the state of Ohio with MapSource TOPO it would be about 2/3 of that.

If you are into reading newgroups then check out the GPS newsgroup: sci.geo.satellite-nav There has been several threads talking about the unit.

The biggest complaint I have seen is that it is a bit large. But the screen is suppost to be very nice and the key layout is also good.

I alway suggest down loading the PDF manuals off the manufacture's website. It is a good way to get an idea of what features the unit has. I know Garmin and Magellan have all there manual online for download.

Hope that help

mcb

Guest devildog

Well, I've got one on order and should receive the next day or so. Size isn't too much of a factor. I'll be using it primarily in a marine environment with an external antenna. But also remove and carry for travel. This is my first gps so we'll see if it is fairly idiot proof.

Guest devildog

Received my GPSMap 76 today. Looks pretty good out of the box. I'll do some playing this weekend and see how it goes. I have a friend with a Garmin 45 so we can do some rough comparisons on signals, etc.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I'd like to hear how well it works for the marine use. I have a GPS 48, from 1998 and love it, can sail to Nantucket in the fog without too much anxiety. I just delivered a boat for a gentleman that is silly rich, when I bring it back south this fall, I'll get a nice tip. (he bought my GPS and a hand-held VHF in the past) The WASS looks WAAY cool, better than plugging into a differential antenna.

Guest devildog

I did some familiarization this weekend. Screen looks really good. I did have a question. The date and time never did get synch from the satellite. There is no way to manually change the date that I can see. Is this a normal occurence? Is it a software bug or just something with the satellites? It's annoying because you must manually change the date anytime you want to check moon phase, fishing time, tides, etc.

Guest mcb

That is very strange about the date being wronge. You can adjust the time by selecting a time zone or off set from GMT in the setup. This will only change the hour but the minutes should be correct. This may also help with your date if you are only off by one day. You may just be several hour off of local time making you GPS look like the date is ahead or behing by nearly half a day.

Let us know if you figure it out.

mcb

[This message has been edited by mcb (edited 07 May 2001).]

Guest devildog

Spoke with Garmin. They had me do a system reset. Still no luck - date and time still wrong after reacquiring satellites. Garmin said to return. Called TVNav Darryl is shipping a replacement out today. The mystery continues. Good customer service at TVNav.

Guest devildog

Received my replacement GPS and it worked fine. The date and time came into synch as soon as satellite fix acquired. I should be able to mount on my boat this weekend and begin some field trials.