New Mac GPS sofware, looking for interest

I am finishing the development of a Mac based GPS application, similar to EasyGPS that would allow Mac users to manage waypoints, etc. without having to use VPC (yeah!). To be honest, I was only writing it for myself, but it seems that there would be others who might be interested in just such a program. So I am asking, "would you be interested?"

If so, send me a quick email letting me know the following:

1. What kind of mac are you using

1a. are you using a keyspan usb-to-serial adapter

2. Operating system

2a. Would you like a Mac OS X version

3. What GPS Unit (brand and model #) do you have

4. What features you would like to see, beyond managing waypoints, routes, and tracks

5. Would you be willing to pay a nominal fee (like $5-$10)? You won't hurt my feelings if you say no, honestly.

I would not be interested in competing with either GPSy or MacGPSPro. Both of these are excellent programs that are well supported by their authors and I would encourage everyone to look at them, and buy if it fits their needs. It just bugs me that PC users can get EasyGPS for free, but there is nothing one the Mac side that does this simple task.

Of course, EasyGPS is free because they are using it to advertise for their other software that costs. Something I am not interested in, thus my question about willingness to pay a small fee.

I look forward to your comments.

Karl

-+ Silent Yellow Dog Team +- icon_smile.gif

This is something I would definitely participate in. Currently, managing waypoints is one of the few reasons remaining that I boot up my PC for.

1. I mainly use a PowerBook G3 (FireWire), but I have access to various newer Macs at my workplace (G3 Blue&White to iMacs and iBooks to current G4s)

1a. I am using a Keyspan USB-serial adapter (forgot the model, I can check it when I get home)

2. Mainly Mac OS X 10.1.3. I try to avoid classic/9.x as much as possible.

2a. Mac OS X version? Yes, Cocoa if possible (think of the services possible!)

3. GPS V, eTrex Legend, Mag315

4. Perhaps if the application were able to download satellite photos and overlay the tracks/waypoints onto it. There's a windows app (I can't remember the name off the top of my head) that did something like this.

5. $5-10 is well within the range I would be willing to offer if the application suits my needs - if it's Mac OS X based, it would be a big plus.

---

Lawrence

I would put something funny here, but not now.

As much as I love VPC (now that the kinks are worked out as far as GPSing) I would definitely love to see such a program for the MAC -- especially OSX.

I have a GPSV and I use OSX on a Tibook550. I'd pay money for such a program. VPC works nicely for me but I have to admit it WAS expensive investing in VPC, Windows 2K, etc.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/26453_300.jpg

You betcha!

I'm a newbie to the Mac world, so I don't have much in the way of accessories or baggage, but I am interested in getting my Garmin GPSMAP 76 hooked up to my Mac(667 Powerbook.) $10-30 is reasonable and even more attractive if it's OS X (I'm on 10.1)

Mike Tomsu

Brookfield, WI

I would certainly be interested, even if all it did was allow me to import the *.loc files. I might pay a couple of bucks for that.

Add route management, mapping, etc. And I'd definitely pay for this! icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, I run OS X almost exclusively. And I have the Keyspan adapter, although is anybody else wondering why Garmin doesn't make USB cables now that pretty much any computer made has USB?

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

Add route management, mapping, etc. And I'd definitely pay for this!

Just FYI, GPSy and MacGPS Pro have route management, mapping (to what extend I don't know), and much more. They are super programs at a great price. So you can get that now.

But I don't think they can handle simple transfer of .loc files or the new .gpx files. Which is what I am interested in doing.

Have been looking at the different formats used in GPS waypoint programs in linux and with easy gps. They are a MESS. Almost all of the input/output files (.loc included) are similar but slightly different formats. Apparently there is a waypoint standard emerging called GPX (XML based). Have heard that easygps is going that way. Would recommend you take a look at the different IO file formats before you make up a new one.

See topic labeled "Linux App that reads EasyGPS based XML files?" There is a guy who is looking at doing the same thing via a perl script.

Hate to see two people inventing the same wheel at the same time.

quote:
Originally posted by northmill:

Have been looking at the different formats used in GPS waypoint programs in linux and with easy gps. They are a MESS. Almost all of the input/output files (.loc included) are similar but slightly different formats. Apparently there is a waypoint standard emerging called GPX (XML based). Have heard that easygps is going that way. Would recommend you take a look at the different IO file formats before you make up a new one.

Hate to see two people inventing the same wheel at the same time.

I have been studying the file formats too. The .loc file that EasyGPS creates is a propriatary binary file, the .loc that Geocaching.com generates is an XML, and the .gpx is also XML. Yes, it is quite a mess, but that is what the GPX standard is trying to solve.

I am not exactly sure what the 'linux' app they are talking about will do. Reading wapoints from a file is pretty easy, but they haven't talked about what they are going to do with it (xfer to a GPS, add to a database, etc.).

BTW, I am not talking about inveting a new file format, just creating an application to read the existing formats and xfer to a GPS.

A couple of things...

If you are going to do an app that does .loc manipulation, consider putting in some of the features of GeoBuddy that I know Mac people would love to have...

• MacGPS import/export

• merge multiple .loc files into one

As for my needs...

G3 Pismo PowerBook

Garmin eMap, eTrex, StreetPilot III

I'll buy a KeySpan adapter if I can use my Mac for wyapoint mgmt.

If you want some hints on the binary .loc file format that EasyGPS (not ExpertGPS) uses, just shout.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

+ MacGPS import/export

+ merge multiple .loc files into one

I am not familiar with the MacGPS import/export. If you have info on that file format, please send it right along.

I don't plan to support the .loc (binary) format, only the .loc (xml) format. Because I would also support the GPX format, EasyGPS can export to GPX and those files can be brought into my app with a quick import. You can also export GPX format.

Being able to merge... of course!

Karl

-+ Silent Yellow Dog Team +-

quote:
Originally posted by Silent Yellow Dog Team:

I am not familiar with the MacGPS import/export. If you have info on that file format, please send it right along.

Give me a shout offline. I'm out this weekend, but I'll get back with you.

ericc@pobox.com

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

I have a Mac running OS 10.1.3 most the time. Don't have a GPS yet, but soooon! Would be happy to pay for your software when the time comes so keep me informed.

Would appreciate any thoughts on using a Handspring Visor PDA with a GPS module if you have any.

Marc Bergman

I've been looking forward to some Mac software for a while for OSX. I use my iBook in the field a lot as it gets much better battery life, and I use OSX only.

I would be more than willing to pay to use the software on one condition: you add an undo feature to your software icon_smile.gif That is one my complaint with ExpertGPS, no undo. I contacted the author about it, but he said it would be hard to do, and multiple leves of undo would be nearly impossible. Ah well..

Keep up the good work!

Muffins!

Just to keep everyone who has responded up-to date... I am working feverishly on getting a version of the Mac application in good enough condition to start some early testing.

So far, I have it sending and receiving waypoints to my GPSR (Garmin Venture), importing .LOC files that come from Geocaching.com, and yes it work on OS X (and 8.X up)! But the interface is still a bit rough. I hope to have a version that is ready for some of you to start playing around with by next week. I will also setup a web site so that you can track the progress, submit suggestions, and download the latest versions.

Looks like I am going to make it happen, but it will take a little time icon_rolleyes.gif . Please be patient with me.

Cheers.

Karl

How is the progress going with your application? I am looking forward to the first release and am quite willing to kick some money your way. (1.TiBook400, 1a.yes, 2.OS9.2 and OSX.1, 2a.yes, 3.eTrex Basic, 4.just waypoint management would be enought to keep me happy, 5.yes)

Cheers

Nick.

1. TiBook 667; and others

1a. might need to... see 3.

2. primarily OS 10.1.4, occasionally 9.2

2a. Yup

3. Currently have the DeLorme Earthmate (highly UNrecommended!!) - bought it a couple years ago with Street Atlas 6.0... they no longer support Macintosh, so the software is getting dated and the GPS is really only useful with their software... no window, so must be plugged into a laptop or PDA

4. solve the salesman problem? (Actually, I manage that, just fine). Oh, if possible, make your app applescriptable.

5. Possibly, though I've already got GPSy, and they are working on an OS X version. Depends on how you fill in the gaps.

Thanks for developing Mac software!

PowerMac g4 Tower, 533mhz, 1gb RAM.

No.

2. Operating system

OS X 10.1.5

2a. Would you like a Mac OS X version

YES!!!

I am shopping for one now, trying to figure out what will most easily work with my Mac.

4. What features you would like to see, beyond managing waypoints, routes, and tracks

The ability to install firmware upgrades would be amazing (though, I would guess an impossible feat).

5. Would you be willing to pay a nominal fee (like $5-$10)? You won't hurt my feelings if you say no, honestly.

I would gladly pay $10, even more. I pay for all my shareware.

1. Dual G4 1GHZ

1a. Nope using a Manhatten USB converter (its the BEST)

2. OS X 10.2.2 (6F14)

2a. This whole program should be X only.. ( wont be bootable after Janurary... Its a lost cause

3. I have 2 an Etrex Vista and a Legend

4. If possible try to merge a firmware only changeable user details into it... the one Garmin provide on the unit itself can be change in 30 secs flat.. its useless if stolen.

5. Sure.. if u got PayPal consider yourself paid... love to help out to.. im an ADC member and on the list for Adobe icon_biggrin.gif

I am now the owner of a new iBook. I already own a yellow Etrex that I've used with my Linux laptop. I'd like to urge you to release this as open source (OSI certified liccense). See this for more details. As I just posted I would be willing to pay $40 for something released under an open license.

If you want to urge people to contribute money you could simply sell "Pre Compiled" binaries for $5 or something similar and still provide the source for free. Of course, nothing it to stop someone from then giving away the binaries for free later.

Still looking for a web link for update info? - icon_rolleyes.gif

PowerPC 8500/200

Belkin USB card

2. Operating system

Yellow ETrex

5. Would you be willing to pay a nominal fee (like $5-$10)?

Definately

1. Various. Currently my home machine is an 8100 w/G3 upgrade. Plant to get an iBook or G4 desktop (have a g4 at work).

1a. Native serial ports on 8100

2. GPS OSOS9.1

2a. Eventually would like a Mac OS X version

3. GPS Unit: Magellan Meridian Platinum (unsupported by MacGPSpro)

4. Features I would like to see: Obviously, ability to open XML/.loc files. Including comments field for uploading to MeriPlat like EasyGPS would be nice too. Also, the ability to track GPS accuracy and maybe drift, a'la Cetus GPS for Palm, would be a big plus. This would require NMEA. Not critical.

5. I would pay at least $20 to ditch the complexity of maintaining two platforms.

I currently have to FTP my .loc files to a Windows box to upload them with EasyGPS, but install the .pdbs on my Palm from the Mac, where I really live and work. I am basically looking for EasyGPS for the Mac. If this existed, I could dump Windows except for Magellan (proprietary) TopoMap uploading, which I do only infrequently.

--

"I looked for it and I found it

Miles Standish proud:

Congratulate me" --R.E.M.

The original poster hasn't logged in for over two months. It sounds like SYD had a more ambitious plan, and I'm really not trying to "scoop" them, but if all you're looking to do is upload/download waypoints to a Garmin/Magellan from geocaching.com (or a variety of other formats) at least look at gpsbabel.

It works on OS/X (don't use it myself; sorry) and I've heard of users running it with a variety of USB adapters on that OS.

If you're looking for route management, map overlays, waypoint editing and such, this program is not for you. If you just want to quit running EasyGPS for your receiver uploads and convert the files to whatever mapping program you DO use, you'll find it worth the money. And if you don't, refunds are available.[1]

http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net

[1] The program is free. The refund line forms to the left.

quote:
It sounds like SYD had a more ambitious plan, and I'm really not trying to "scoop" them, but if all you're looking to do is upload/download waypoints to a Garmin/Magellan from geocaching.com (or a variety of other formats) at least look at gpsbabel.

I took a look at this and I don't see where the Mac OS is mentioned.

quote:
Originally posted by RedShoesGirl:

quote:
if all you're looking to do is upload/download waypoints to a Garmin/Magellan from geocaching.com (or a variety of other formats) at least look at gpsbabel.

I took a look at this and I don't see where the Mac OS is mentioned.

In the first sentence on the web page. There are a number of people using GPSBabel on OS/X.