Foriegn Mapsource CD's

Guest mkral

Guest mkral

I'm going to the French Alps in October. I thought about buying the France Mapsource CD, but when I went to look at the specs, it claims 64% of all roads are covered & the area inhabited by 45% of the French population. Well, seeing that 20% of th population lives in & around Paris, this does not give me great hope that the CD would be even remotely useful to me. Has anyone used a foreign Mapsource Product (preferably France, but any info would be good at this point) & have any thoughts they'd like to share.

thanks,

Mark

Guest Khao Mun Gai

I just got the MetroGuide for France. I have only loaded Paris specifically so far, but am still having fun playing with it so will be happy to check the rest for you. What would you specifically like to know?

Guest mkral

Peter,

thanks for the link, buit when I go there & pick the France MEtroguide, there is no link for "more detail" that I can see. Maybe I am missing something?

Guest mkral

Khao,

thanks that would be great. The area I am interested in is the French Alps. Specifically a city by the name of Megeve, about 40 miles sould of Geneva, Switzerland. Also, , but primarily Megeve.

Thanks a ton.

PS-How do you like the France guide so far?

Guest Khao Mun Gai

I will load that part of France and tell you what I think - probably tomorrow (Sunday).

In the meantime, I was blown away with the level of detail in the Paris map. I have only played with it a bit so far, but it appears to have EVERY street in Paris - as many as you would find in Paris Practique par Arrondisement.

Long day - more feedback tomorrow.

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by mkral:

Peter,

thanks for the link, buit when I go there & pick the France MEtroguide, there is no link for "more detail" that I can see. Maybe I am missing something?

It's not a link, but on the right side of the map you can pick the map display size and also choose between 'More' and 'Less' detail.

Looking at the MapViewer for the area of Megeve, I see the N212 highway going through town and about a dozen local streets shown that tend to converge on the town center. There are also two smaller 'suburb' communities about a km away to the east and northeast.

[This message has been edited by peter (edited 28 July 2001).]

Guest mkral

Peter,

I got to learn to look closer before I speak. You were right. I went back & the link was right there, but for some reason I didn't see it there this morning. Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Khao,

I look forward to your observations on the actual product,

thanks,

Guest Khao Mun Gai

OK - I found Megeve and Chamonoix on a real map and loaded the appropriate file onto the GPS.

While it appears that all town/city names and major roads are properly represented, the data for these two towns themselves is quite lacking.

For Chamonoix only the town name is indicated along with a single main (numbered) road passing through.

For Megeve the town name is indicated along with appx. 6 main (numbered) roads which cross through the general area.

In neither case are any actual village roads or place names indicated.

This was both surprising and disappointing, as the data for Paris proper is FANTASTIC with detail beyond my expectations. You are likely correct - their 64%/45% numbers are probably very strongly skewed by their excellent coverage of Paris.