MeriPlat Wrist Strap

Jpjazz

Thanks for the ideas, also the past thread. While these will work, I would prefer a bolt that could be removed without a screwdriver inorder to connect the data cable. I will keep looking for such hardware.

Jpjazz

[This message was edited by Jpjazz on April 11, 2003 at 12:06 PM.]

I found an aluminum thumb screw that I drilled a hole thru to put a ring on it. I'll get a picture of it posted soon.

EDIT: Here is the pic

Thumbscrew.JPG

I bought these thru McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) Part number 94567A120.

I drilled a 1/16" hole in it and put a small keyring thru it. I also had to cut the length down to 3/16" of threads under the head.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

[This message was edited by Stunod on April 11, 2003 at 01:11 PM.]

[This message was edited by Stunod on April 11, 2003 at 01:43 PM.]

That's perfect! Now I am trying to find the link on McMaster-Carr. Is this the part?

Part Number 94567A150 $1.41 Each

Size

#4-40

Length

3/8"

Head Style

Shoulder

Screw Type

Knurled Head

Material

Aluminum

Diameter

3/8"

icon_smile.gif

Oops...I edited the part number out of my original post. I used 94567a120...5/16" long. I also had to cut the threads down a little shorter...about 3/16" (use the screw cutter dies on a pair of wire strippers).

Note: I added this info back into my original post

homer.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Oops...I edited the part number out of my original post. I used 94567a_120_...5/16" long. I also had to cut the threads down a little shorter...about 3/16" (use the screw cutter dies on a pair of wire strippers).

Note: I added this info back into my original post

http://208.55.63.109/images/homer.gif

__"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."__

So if I understand you, the bolt needs more threads added near it's base so it will tighten to the GPS?

No...the length of the threaded part of the bolt (under the head) is originally 5/16". If you thread this into the Meridian, it will bottom out before the head comes in contact with the GPS. You need to cut off some of the bolt so it is only 3/16" long (again, measured from under the head).

homer.gif

BTW - since the Sportrak uses the same power/data cords as the Meridian, I would assume they could also use the same idea Stunod had.

Luckily, my Meridian Color came with a strap, although my wifes Meridian Green did not. I think she lusts after my wrist strap.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I rigged this one up for my MeriGreen yesterday. The screw is off the back of an old computer. One of the ones you'd plug a serial or parallel cable into. Found the hook in my 'junk pile' in my tool box. I used it for some hunts yesterday and it worked beautifully.

mghook2.jpg

--------------------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

Handspring Visor Deluxe

L.O.S.T. - http://www.kjjeep.com

quote:
Originally posted by applezz:

I went to Magellan's webaite yesterday and asked about the Color's lanyard. Specifically if they had a part number that I would be able to order it with. I just received a reply that they were going to just send me one!

DAMNIT!!!! I just went into production (as DustyJacket suggested). Now what am I going to do with 20,000 thumbscrews????

homer.gif