Garmin Legend and the Lost External Power BUG?

I have a Garmin Legend and noticed when I put it on my truck dash weged in window I get a message that says lost external power then in 30 secs in shuts itself off. It does this wether I am using alkaline or nimh batteries. It also seems to do it when it is hot outside anyone else experience this? I have solved the issue by using the cigarette 12 volt adapter. So to me it is not just the heat but heat and a software issue? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks again!

quote:
Originally posted by Lonny007:

I have a Garmin Legend and noticed when I put it on my truck dash weged in window I get a message that says lost external power then in 30 secs in shuts itself off. It does this wether I am using alkaline or nimh batteries. It also seems to do it when it is hot outside anyone else experience this? I have solved the issue by using the cigarette 12 volt adapter. So to me it is not just the heat but heat and a software issue? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks again!

There is a known problem with the Legends' battery contact. Intermittent shut off when used on a mountain bike is one symptom experienced. I contacted Garmin support and Garmin UK are mailing me a replacement connector to fit into my Legend. Your Legend may have the same/similar problem. I suggest you contact the Garmin support people, explain your problem. Hopefully they'll send you a new battery contact and see if it cures your problem.

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

quote:
Originally posted by Lonny007:

I have a Garmin Legend and noticed when I put it on my truck dash weged in window I get a message that says lost external power then in 30 secs in shuts itself off.

I've seen similar behavior a couple times with a Garmin eMap. Both times it was a hot sunny day and I was using the unit inside a clear plastic AquaPac waterproof bag while sea kayaking. The unit was very hot inside the AquaPac and I kept getting intermittent 'lost ext. power' messages even though I was using internal battery power. Most of the time it would start the 30 second countdown and then abort it after a few seconds, but a few times it made it to the end and shut down. Cooling things down by splashing water on the AquaPac or putting it in the shade solved the problem both times.

This is a separate issue from the battery contact one - in neither case was there any vibration or jarring of the unit when it gave the 'lost power' message and in the case of intermittent battery contact the units shut down immediately - not after 30 seconds.

Thanks Motley but that is a different issue I fixed a time ago with foam inserts behind the metal. I believe this is a heat and battery software glitch because if I use the cigerate adapter the problem goes away. Would be nice if Garmin would look into this. I see I am not alone Peter anyone else?

I just bought a new legend on june 18th and i to am seeing lost external power with a 30 sec. countdown. this is what i have figured out so far. the first day home was sunny and hot and with fresh batteries from home i set the unit out to aquire sats and 10 min. later when i checked the unit was off, tried again same thing. went to buy new batteries tried again this time on front deck and worked fine not realizing then the front deck was shaded and a little cooler then out back. went out caching yesterday worked flawless even under heavy cover with shade of course. today bored and home with new baby i sat outside to see how accurate i could get this thing and thats when i started having problems with the message about every minute or so. my conclusion is there must be some sort of shut down caused by excessive heat. post here if anything has been discovered on this matter.

thanks, kirklyn