Anyone use a Brunton/Silva Multi-Nav Sys??

Guest laurie

I have been reading with interest the entire debate on Magellan vs Garmin to the (almost) exclusion of other GPS units out there.

In my search for a GPS I came across the Brunton MNS (used for $250) and with the exception of the moving map display it *looks* ( from the specs ) to be everything I could ever want in a Geocaching GPS receiver.

Does anyone have any experience with this model especially in comparison to the Garmin eTrex or the Magellan GPS receivers?

Thanks!

Guest topografix

I also believe this could be the ultimate geocaching GPS. I'll know in a few weeks - my new Brunton MNS ships today!

Stay tuned for an announcement about Brunton/Silva GPS and TopoGrafix software soon...

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest offroute

I've spent considerable time with the Brunton MNS. It does lack a moving map, but for backcountry use, and geocaching, I'm certain you'll find it's integration of the digital compass far more useful. Unlike other GPSRs, the MNS will launch the dig compass instantly with the push of a button -showing you the bearing to your waypoint and greatly reducing battery drain. The compass is also much more accurate than most.

You'll also find that the barometric altimeter is generally more accurate and for backcountry users logs a weather trend and makes a forecast based on the previous hours.

Sat lock under trees is very good and the display is very readable. Its LCD is also much more temp resistant, so for those of us who use a GPSR in temps near 0, it is a much better solution.

Besides, $250 is a good deal. The cheapest you'd find a new one for is around $340.

Have fun.

I spoke with someone from REI who does training classes in GPS units all the time and has had extensive experience with the Brunton MNS, as well as all the other units that REI carries.

He indicated that Brunton's GPS is several years behind the game on their unit. It drains too much battery juice, and is too clunky.

My opinion is, go with the two major GPS manufacturers. Brunton/Silva has good experience with the electronic compasses, barometers, and other technologies, but hasn't invested as much time and energy into their first foray into a GPS unit. For the price range you're looking at I would suggest the Magellan Map 330 or Meridian Gold. If you're in an arid climate where you have sparse treecover I'd suggest the eTrex Legend (though we use it here in the Northwest with good success).

The altimeter, barometer, and even the electronic compass is unnecessary for a majority of the geocaches out there, and you should have a magnetic compass with you in any case as backup.

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 16 October 2001).]

Thanks for all the information. I have been out using a Garmin eTrex (basic yellow) unit to get a feel for what *I* would like to have in a GPS receiver.

A couple of observations: The quazi-compass that is part of the basic eTrex will only get you lost. Under any kind of tree cover (I am up here in New England - and all we have is tree cover) the receiver will lose signal (to be expected) hence the quazi-compass won't get updated. If you are navigating using the GPS this will send you around in circles (I went to areas that I knew and this is exactly what happened). The augmented use of a good magnetic compass to determine where North really was should not be underestimated.

That being said - I have had my trusty Girl Scout Silva compass for over 25 years and it has never had a system crash and has not had to be rebooted in all that time (not even *one* battery change - imagine that!). So it would still travel in my pocket.

For me, personnaly I don't find the map display that helpful - instant update/display of my lat/lon coordinates on the other hand is very useful.

So, I guess I am saying that I have decided to get the Brunton. Even on review of Jeremy's post. But I will post a review of the unit once it get's here (should be arriving today or Monday).

Thanks for the very useful help and insight!

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I spoke with someone from REI who does training classes in GPS units all the time and has had extensive experience with the Brunton MNS, as well as all the other units that REI carries.

Just sitting here munching on a bit of crow icon_wink.gif. Jeremy, you were right ...

I got the Brunton - here are things that I like: 1) The menu system - allot of information very easy to get to. 2) I like the fact that the LCD can handle lower temps (I would really like to try some caches in the winter). 3) Tech support - these guy's could write a book on customer service - excellent!

What I don't like: 1) The patch antenna (I know I know ...) 2) (ok this is the biggie) There is a precision issue with the Brunton (their Tech support has confirmed this). If you enter the coords for "a fine and private place" (N 42° 58.987 W 071° 27.556) the Brunton will change the coords to: N 42° 58.986 W 071° 27.556. I could go into painful detail on why I think this is happening but in a GPS receiver that retails for $399 I expect more (heck the Garmin eTrex (yellow) can handle this)

Anyway - I have decided to get the Meridian? Platinum - I still like the compass idea and after a phone call to Meridian's Tech support they say that the Barometer is also an altimeter (but this is the same person that said both the base Meridian and the Gold have a compass - so the data may be suspect). This decision was after reading the Meridian User's manual posted by ClayJar and reading his review. Also, it has a better antenna so should be happier under the trees in NH icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Just sitting here munching on a bit of crow icon_wink.gif. Jeremy, you were right ...

I got the Brunton - here are things that I like: 1) The menu system - allot of information very easy to get to. 2) I like the fact that the LCD can handle lower temps (I would really like to try some caches in the winter). 3) Tech support - these guy's could write a book on customer service - excellent!

What I don't like: 1) The patch antenna (I know I know ...) 2) (ok this is the biggie) There is a precision issue with the Brunton (their Tech support has confirmed this). If you enter the coords for "a fine and private place" (N 42° 58.987 W 071° 27.556) the Brunton will change the coords to: N 42° 58.986 W 071° 27.556. I could go into painful detail on why I think this is happening but in a GPS receiver that retails for $399 I expect more (heck the Garmin eTrex (yellow) can handle this)

Anyway - I have decided to get the Meridian? Platinum - I still like the compass idea and after a phone call to Meridian's Tech support they say that the Barometer is also an altimeter (but this is the same person that said both the base Meridian and the Gold have a compass - so the data may be suspect). This decision was after reading the Meridian User's manual posted by ClayJar and reading his review. Also, it has a better antenna so should be happier under the trees in NH icon_wink.gif