Any insight on the new Gekos?

Hi, I've been borrowing my cousin's old GPS (2 decimal points only) for quite some time now and looking to buy my own. I know Garmin has the new Gekos out, but don't know if they're any good. I'm not into all the bells and whistles, just a good cacher and get me to my car if lost. :-)

Any information or recommendations are greatly appreciated!! Maria

I got my Geko 201 last week. I think its the perfect unit for geocaching. The 201 has some bells and whistles, but not as many as the Venture. The Venture is now my husbands toy......it's just too complicated for me to wrap my mind around. Or maybe it's just that I don't think I have the time to sit down and figure it all out.........ya! That's it! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, the Geko 201 will get you there, get you back, make routes etc. It doesn't have the maps like the Venture, but we don't use that anyway....Another difference is the Geko gives you less space to name waypoints. The Venture has like 8-10 spaces for a name and the Geko only gives you 6 spaces. This is something I can live with.

The 201 takes the same cable as all the other Garmins, so I can still download caches/waypoints. and also uses the same Garmin AC adapter. The games on the 201 are not the sit on your butt games.......you need a big open space outside to play.

I'm very happy with the Geko......it's tiny and lightweight. For backpackers obsessed with weight, it would be perfect. The cheapest I found the Gekos were at GPSCity.com. The 201 is $119 and their 101 is $89.

Adapters can be found on ebay for $9.99

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

Originally posted by Geo-Johnson's:

I got my Geko 201 last week. I think its the perfect unit for geocaching.

I been geoCaching by using oziexplorer only...... no GPS. going to buy one soon, was thinkin e-trek, but is Geko 210 was WAAS enable, making more accurate.

I was wondering what was the average accuracy of are using these units?

coffee.gif

Don't get the Geko 101 unless you don't care about having a connection to your computer for downloading and uploading waypoints, tracks and routes. The 101 does not allow you to communicate with your PC.

Haven't checked out the 201 yet but it has the nice form factor of the 101 with the addition of a cable. Without actually trying it out I would say it would be a good replacement for the Garmin eTrex if it functions the same.

As an aside, Cobra Electronics is coming out with a new GPS receiver with 16 channels and should be around the same price range. If you aren't in a hurry it may be useful to wait on the release to see how they work out.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I unpacked my new Geko 201 last night. It was JUST what I was hoping for. I ran around the back yard and it worked great went to the front yard and it worked great, added some waypoints that are close to my house and it got me to all of them. its a great little pieces of equipment and it's just what is need for GEOCACHING. It does not have maps, it does not sing to you, it does not drive the car for you but it does hold LOTS of way points, it does point the way you want to go, it does have a lot of G-WIZ things to get WOWS from other people. So I give a big YES to anyone looking for a good, cheap, easy to use GPS !!!!!!

(I only work for cash)

I have a Vista but recently decided to get a second GPS to loan to people or to share "the controls" when caching with a group (I'm a church youth group leader). I looked at the Geko but didn't like the fact that it ran on AAA batteries (I hate AAAs and try as much as possible to choose electronics that use AA batteries). Based almost solely on that factor I bought a used etrex Yellow.

quote:
Originally posted by boomhwr653:

When I bought my Legend, the counter guy said that the Gecko is replacing the basic. He told me that he will not be able to get a basic after April.

Maybe were he works they are going to replace the Std e-trex with the Geko 101. THere are a couple of things I do not like about the geko 101

No computer interface, AAA batteries- Garmin says you can use AAA lithium on the manual (No one makes a AAA lithium)

If the batteries die in the 101 you only have 30 min to replace before you lose the way points.

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hartless:
Originally posted by Geo-Johnson's:

I got my Geko 201 last week. I think its the perfect unit for geocaching.

I been geoCaching by using oziexplorer only...... no GPS. going to buy one soon, was thinkin e-trek, but is Geko 210 was WAAS enable, making more accurate.

I was wondering what was the average accuracy of are using these units?

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/coffee.gif

Keep in mind, the 201 does not include the data cable if you are going to want to hook it up to your computer you will need to purchase the cable, a $38.00 option. You would be better of with the Venture which include the cable.

I bought my Geko 201 over a month ago specifically as a new geocacher. Love the thing-even got comments from some co-workers about how strange my cell phone looked. Not enough buttons...heh. Like the size-using AAA batteries doesn't bother me, like the weight, like it's simplicity, it's color makes it easy to spot, like that it doesn't have an external antennae my hubby can chew off, and since I have small hands, it really works well for me. I also like that it is WAAS enabled, and don't really care that it doesn't come with the download cable link for the pc. For what you get with its capabilities, this is the best value I saw at Galyans when I bought it.

The Geko 201 is one I am considering - but a review on Amazon has me concerned, so maybe someone with a unit already could allay my fears. The review said the power button is situated such that it could easily turn on the unit if you 'threw it in a backpack'. I have a 'walkman' radio that eats batteries because of that same problem - not that I 'throw' it in a backpack, but the power button sometimes gets pushed just jostling the pack. So...does the 201 have this problem?

"I took the road less travelled by, and that has made all the difference"

I have a Geko 201, and I think that the comment about the power button would apply to anything.

The power button is lower (not recessed, though) than all the other buttons, so accidentally turning it on isn't something which has happened to me (yet). I have had it in shirt and pant pockets, and none of the buttons have exhibited a problem with accidentally being pushed.

"Geocaching: the perfect sport for introverts!"

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

Tracking. It will be interfaced through a ham radio and transmit coordinates periodically.

If all goes well, I really won't need it, but should the main parachute deploy prematurely (not an uncommon occurance), it could drift for miles.

George

then it might work with a rc model sailing plane as well? how do you manage to get the interface and the coordinates back to the pilot?

greez