If you can make a GPS, what features would it have??

Guest Geoffrey

Guest Geoffrey

My GPS ideas:

1) My first GPS would have motion sensors in it, so that it could record your movements, even when it lost the signal for a few seconds. If it did lose the signal, the motion sensors would help it to regain the signal. Motion sensors would help even if you baby stepped a tenth of a mile per hour.

2) I would have a camcorder GPS, where i could zoom in on a cache location from a distance. It would have an electronic compass too. Would help if you could zoom in from an open field toward a cache in the trees. The LCD swing-out panel could show a GPS map screen, and show your position on the screen. Then if you aim your camcorder at something, it could tell you the name of the mountain or stream your looking at. That would be better than slipping your Garmin into the camcorders view to record your GPS position on the videotape.

3) The GPS would use rechargable Lithium-ion battery packs like on camcorders. you could swap-out the depleted battery and put a fresh one in, without the GPS shutting off, especially if you swapped batteries in less than 10 seconds.

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 03 August 2001).]

Guest k2dave

The ability to download HUGE maps in a standard format (like how you can sync maps w/ win ce and MS streets).

Multiple waypoint 'folders' so you can just have the set you need. i.e. hiking set (trailheads, water, leanto's), Geocaching set, driving set. This way you don't have to scroll through all your waypoints to find the one you need.

Combine the memory to one big pool so your only limit on waypoints is the total available memory.

long file names for waypoints

Touch sensitive screen to allow a virtuail keyboard (like on the palm)

Different modes (Hiking, Geocaching, driving, boating) that show diffrent user defined fields.

Decimal degrees (not of this decimal minute crap - more of a rant about this site that casuse me to have to switch back and forth between the 2)

an option to point to the waypoint relitive to north instead of track.

Ability to see the sunrise and sunset times for any day entered.

Switch to ft instead of miles when you get close.

rechargable batts ONLY if you can take that out and use standard batts since rechargable batts are only good if you can recharge them - on multiday hikes rechargables sucks.

extreme battery saver - blanks out screen - powers down receiver for 10 sec at a time and whatever else it can get away with and still function. - press a button and the screen pops on.

audible alarm - voice directions

voice reconition

color screen

that quadrifier? antennia (you know - not hte patch ant. that doesn't hold a lock when a pigon flies overhead)

IR or bluetooth communications w/ pc (or pda)

Lightweight (actually make it negative weight - about (-)20 lbs - that will make my pack soooo easy to carry (as long as I don't let the gps go - oops)

Mine has some of this but I included what I would like to have in a gps if I have it already or not.

Guest Geoffrey

I had the Garmin GPS 3, the original one. It only had an 8 hour Batt life with alkaline batts. I was able to get over 31 hours of use with the lithium throw-away batts. If i could use the sony Info-Lithium camcorder batteries, i could get over 50 hours of use on my GPS 3plus, then charge the Battery pack on the charger, or just have a couple spares. I like to have the Batt Saver turned off on my GPS, I get a better tracklog.

Battery Drain of some GPS units:

http://joe.mehaffey.com/bat-5.txt

Comparing batteries: http://joe.mehaffey.com/battry2.htm

Guest rediguana

In no particular order:-

* a common open mapping standard so map data can be upload to any gps unit that supports the standard

* almanac data for major stars/planets/etc so I can at my current location select say Mars, and the GPS spits out a bearing and elevation angle - actually having a map of the sky built in would be pretty cool

* an easier way of entering waypoint info on the go - its too time consuming otherwise - a notebook is the best option i've found yet, and update the waypoint info when uploaded to pc - even perhaps a cellphone keypad for alphanumeric entry

* more customisable display variables/screens

Cheers Gav

Guest BigDoggie

Hmmm... blus-skying. I like that.

When in use, about the size of a paperback book but only 1/4" thick, with a hi-res color screen that takes up almost the entire size. When not in use, folds in half, so as to be pocket size and protect screen.

Easy data input... part of the screen turns into touch screen, or fold-out keyboard, or voice recognition.

Built-in magnetic compass with good resolution.

A variety of display modes... numerical, directional, map, etc.

Good battery life with multiple audio and video warnings of low batteries, starting about 4 hours from the drop-dead point.

Guest Dwarf

Here's a good one. You know those little keychain flashlights that you squeeze and they are SUPER bright for being so tiny? Why not put one right in the end of the GPS. This way you can take a look under that rock for nasty critters before you go reaching up in there! Not to mention just having a handy flashlight around just in case.