330x vs. Meridian Gold

Guest masanz1

Guest Hounddog

The Magellan Map330 is an excellent reciever as are all Magellna products I have used so far. My only advice to you is, try not to go paying big dollars for a bunch of features you are unlikely to use. Look at both units and compare them for the application you intend to use most. In the end it's probably more a dollar decision I think. From a MAP330 users standing I say mine is excellent, it does everything a geocacher could want. Except cook me breakfast in the morning.

Cheers

Guest ClayJar

Go for the Gold. The memory card stuff and waterproof-ness are a good enough reason for me to upgrade my MAP 330 to a Gold as soon as the new one's here. (Hee-hee. The "eye" and "cay" letters on my computer are busted; that hasn't stopped my post.)

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by dzmiller:

You can get the 330 at gijoes.com for $180. How much is the Gold? The 330 is a heck of a lot of gps for under $200.

I went to this site and the 330 is still listed for $249.99.

Guest dzmiller

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

I went to this site and the 330 is still listed for $249.99.

It was in their print ad and web site last week for 179.97. I purchased one but have not yet received it. You might ask them if they will still honor that price.

I just pre ordered the gold as an upgrade from my 315. I decided against the 330 because I liked the idea of a memory card to download lots of map area.

Whether or not this is important to you depends on where you use a GPS as some areas have more data to them than others.

With the Mapsend Topo software an 8mb map area is equal to just south of San Diego to just north of LA and stretches just beyond the east/west state borders of California.

In Wisconsin an 8mb map area is 2/3rds of the state. If you imagine that you require detailed maps of an area greater than this, then get the Meridian. Otherwise, the 330 with the free Mapsend Streets software or the 330X that is usually $50 more and has the software included(instead of a coupon) plus the vehicle mount, cig adapter etc is a good deal.

Guest ClayJar

Basically, if you're going to be caching near water, and there's a significant chance that some may find its way to your unit, get the Gold.

If you go on cache trips involving significant travel or distances and multiple caches, or if you live in a complex area, get the Gold.

If you don't care for the waterproofness or memory capabilities of the Gold, however, the MAP 330 is an absolutely great receiver that I own and would recommend in a heartbeat. (Since both the conditions above apply to me, I will be upgrading for love and country... I love geocaching enough to brave rain or bodies of water, and I go all over a big chunk of the country.)

Guest ClayJar

Actually, no, it is not certified to be able to take a splash (or a dunk, or a stream). There is an overview of IPX levels at the bottom of this testing application form. Splashing water is IPX4!

Some people have dunked their Maggellans with no ill effects, but they don't have to survive even a spray to be IPX2. IPX7 is one meter of water for 30 minutes, which should cover anything a floating GPS receiver should ever encounter.