Meridian question for Clayjar of other vets

Guest prv8eye

Guest prv8eye

Clayjar,

I'm a rookie hoping to tap into your vast knowledge of the Meridian Gold. (How's that for kissing up? )

When in the cursor mode, WHY doesn't the unit display the lat and lon as you scroll around the map with the cursor?

Wouldn't this make it much easier to set a waypoint without actually going to the site first or using a paper map???

Is this possible?

I'm a fairly intelligent guy but find the instructions, even on the CD, to be even more confusing than programing my VCR.

Every GPS receiver should come with a video.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest ClayJar

No "kissing up" required. I'm a geek and programmer, and when you add my chemical engineering degree, it makes me almost unable to avoid answering good questions.

The main thing about not displaying lat/lon as you scroll is probably the granularity of the maps. The logical assumption they made was that either you want to mark where you are, you want to mark somewhere precisely, or you want to mark a spot to goto and you don't care about precision (since you're using the imprecise granularity of the map screen).

Put simply, they probably thing that since you couldn't get to precisely N 30 23.963, W 91 45.238 on the map screen, you probably don't really care about the precise coordinates.