Sportrak Pro and NIMH batteries.

nathanstl

Okay I just purchased a Sportrak Pro and when reading through the manual I noticed that at several points it says to make sure your using akaline aa batteries. Does this mean they don't recommend using rechargable NIMH batteries? I want to use them because this thing sucks batteries down. I'm on my third set already and I just bought it yesterday. I'm getting more like 5-7 hours out of them, but my digital camera is the same, with normal akalines it doesn't last very long. Now when I use my NIMH in the camera it lasts about 4 times as long!! So I'm hoping for the same response from the sportrak pro.

nathanstl

I use them in mine, and its been great.

quote:
Originally posted by nathanstl:

Okay I just purchased a Sportrak Pro and when reading through the manual I noticed that at several points it says to make sure your using akaline aa batteries. Does this mean they don't recommend using rechargable NIMH batteries? I want to use them because this thing sucks batteries down. I'm on my third set already and I just bought it yesterday. I'm getting more like 5-7 hours out of them, but my digital camera is the same, with normal akalines it doesn't last very long. Now when I use my NIMH in the camera it lasts about 4 times as long!! So I'm hoping for the same response from the sportrak pro.

nathanstl

quote:

nathanstl

Wow! We've logged 28 caches, several DNFs, and hid 2 caches with our STP, and are still on the 2nd set of alkaline batteries.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

I'm getting more like 5-7 hours out of them....

nathanstl

I think it's time for you to invest in some external power. You should be getting more time. We've done 18+ caches since November with our STPro and Meridian. Both are on their third set. It's silly to drive around the countryside on battery power. icon_eek.gif

Are you using the backlight all the time? Also, make sure the batteries are a reputable brand.

One last thing: it doesn't sound right that NiMH are giving you longer performance times than good alkalines. And, three sets of batteries in 1.5 days?? Are you exagerating a teeny bit on both ends? icon_wink.gif

don

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

quote:

I'm getting more like 5-7 hours out of them....

nathanstl

I think it's time for you to invest in some external power. You should be getting more time. We've done 18+ caches since November with our STPro and Meridian. Both are on their third set. It's silly to drive around the countryside on battery power. icon_eek.gif

Are you using the backlight all the time? Also, make sure the batteries are a reputable brand.

One last thing: it doesn't sound right that NiMH are giving you longer performance times than good alkalines. And, three sets of batteries in 1.5 days?? Are you exagerating a teeny bit on both ends? icon_wink.gif

don

No exageration at all. Although I'm not surprised really, I'm the type that goes in and changes evry single function and setting and I know my device like the back of my hand within a few days. BTW I did go ahead and use the NIMH batteries today because I didnt think it would hurt much and I had the gps on all day. From 10am to 12am (14 hours), plus I used the backlight for about 2 hours between 5-7pm on some night caching. The rest of the time I have been just playing with features and downloading the new firmware ver. 4.03. Oh and as far as NIMH lasting longer than akaline; thats a given they all will. Actually my brand guarantees that they will last three times longer than the average akaline and I've backed that up with my digital camera. I just turned my sportrak pro back on and the battery level is still showing 3/4 and sometimes it will go down to half if I start playing, but I bet its got another 6-8 hours left. I'll see tomorrow. This is great, everyone that has a high drain device should look into getting these. Reuse them 1000's of times and I just got the one hour charger for my car. GREAT!!!!! Cache the Nation! Thanks for all the replies.

nathanstl