EasyGPS Problems

Guest dmurray14

Guest dmurray14

Hello,

I am having big problems with EasyGPS. I made my own Magellan 315 Data Cable, and am trying to upload waypoints to my GPSR. Every time I do it, it just sits there saying, "Connecting to Magellan GPS..." and then after about 10 seconds tells me that "No Data was recieved from the GPS." I have NMEA off and the baud rates right, and I have tried it with the reciver on and off (there really arent any directions on what the correct way to do it is) and still nothing. I know the cable works because I can turn NMEA on and go to HyperTerminal and watch all the data come in. What's wrong? Thanks!

Guest arffer

In the easygps preferences, make sure that you have the GPS type set to the correct model for your GPSR. Also, the fact that you can see NMEA data in hyperterminal means that the receive data and ground wires in your home made cable are okay, but it doesn't prove that transmit data works.

I also have a home made cable, and it sometimes gives me problems. Every time I start to use easygps with that cable, the first step I take after starting the program is to click on GPS Version info which is under the GPS menu. This option talks to the GPSR and asks it to transmit back its make, model, and software version number. If this step works, then I know for a fact that the GPSR and easygps can talk to each other. WHen it doesn't work, I know my cable needs reseating...

Guest dmurray14

I know my cable needs reseating...[/b]

Well, I was able to check the continuity of the transmit wire, and it is working. Also, it seems to be seated fine. The GPSR is properly identified. Any more ideas?

Guest arffer

quote:
The GPSR is properly identified

Was the proper identification in response to clicking on GPS and then GPS Version Info in easygps?

If it was, then you have confirmed that easygps and your 315 can communicate just fine with each other, and I'm at a loss as to why you can't upload waypoints. If easygps can ask your GPSR for its version and get a valid answer, then there is no good reason why waypoints can't be uploaded.

Sorry...

Guest dmurray14

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

Was the proper identification in response to clicking on GPS and then GPS Version Info in easygps?

If it was, then you have confirmed that easygps and your 315 can communicate just fine with each other, and I'm at a loss as to why you can't upload waypoints. If easygps can ask your GPSR for its version and get a valid answer, then there is no good reason why waypoints can't be uploaded.

Sorry...

I'm sorry... that was my fault. What I meant by properly identified is that I identified my GPSR in the setup. Also, now every time I do it, it says the GPS could not understand the transmitted data instead of GPS not responding. Any other ideas?

Guest TNRonin

I'm not getting anywhere with easygps either. I can get it working with my delorne program without any problems. I follow all the instructions that easygps gives me on the screen and still nothing. It won't work with that free usa photo prog either. Though I do like the fact that I can down load images from the sats. I'll keep working on it as well.

Ronin

Guest jeremy

Try contacting Dan at Topografix. He's pretty helpful. The only thing I can think of is that you may either not have your gps unit plugged into the right com port, or you have some kind of synching program that has latched on to that com port (like a palm synch or windows cd).

Jeremy

Guest TNRonin

Jeremy, I can use the gps with the delorne program. I have allowed the easygps prog to check the port, it works fine. I have nothing else attached that would get in the way. I'm not doing a lot of way point management so it is not crucial. I'll contact topografix. thanks

Ronin

Guest dmurray14

quote:
Originally posted by TNRonin:

Jeremy, I can use the gps with the delorne program. I have allowed the easygps prog to check the port, it works fine. I have nothing else attached that would get in the way. I'm not doing a lot of way point management so it is not crucial. I'll contact topografix. thanks

Ronin

Ronin,

Same thing with me - nothing else running. I'd be interested to hear what you find out - if you wouldn't mind, please forward their responses to hockeydanFL@hotmail.com Thanks!