Comparison Shopping: Help!

Guest DillyDally

Guest DillyDally

is or that brand because, they "track 12 sattelites but only on two channels". Or something. I know, I need a 12 parallell channel reciever, but beyond that it's over my head. All I want is a reliable, fast, waterproof, cheap GPS unit. Is that too much to ask? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

DH

Guest cache_ninja

the prices at that place are average, if you look around i think you can do better, in terms of what you are asking, it seems like the regular etrex or the magellan 315 would be good choices, there's lots of info on these in the forums, pull down the tab on the upper right and choose "show all" to view older topics etc..as i've said on here numerous times, i'd go w/the 315.

c/n

Guest Cape Cod Cache

DD, this is the oldest question about GPS... It's the same as "What kind of computer should I get?" Figure out what you will use it for, budget, and the future. I used to sell GPS units,and in side-by-side tests,I found Garmin to be my pick. I have a GPS48,I need the navigational aids; you may not. My computer is used for CAD, I NEED a big monitor,huge memory, screamer of a chip, while others can get by with less to e-mail, surf and process info... Go to a few distributors, ask to see the units in action. Bottom line... Get the best you can afford that is comfortable to YOU and your needs. Best of luck CCC

Guest doc_api

Having just gone through the same dilemna myself, I found the best way to compare products was to go to the maufacturers website. As I am sure you have noticed already, the Question "What is the best GPS?" inevitably starts a "Ford vs. Chevy" type battle in the forums. All I got out of this was that the units are pretty close in terms of usefulness.

The Garmin website, at www.garmin.com Seems particularly useful because it allows you to do side by side comparisons of their products.

The magellan website at www.magellangps.com isnt bad either.

FYI I ended up getting the Magellan 315- Better antaenna (supposedly), individual status bars for sattelites, and automatic averaging.

Here's a comparison page onthe 4x4 books site noted above.

http://www.4x4books.com/gpscmpm.htm

The trick with saying which is best is that's different for different people. My needs/uses for a GPS are likely not the same as yourself so the "best" unit wouldn't be the same one for each of us.

A good example of that is the Garmin units vs Lowrance from the table on the page I posted above.

The Globalmap 100 from the list has shorter battery life & is much less waterproof than the Garmins. On the flip side it has a lot more storage for waypoints,tracks & routes. If I was a camper/boater/white water rafter etc no way would I want that Lowrance.

However I drive mostly mountains & backcountry exploring for photography & searching out deserted mining & lumber camps my unit spends most of it's time plugged into the dash & recording hours of slow driving between downloads. So my Lowrance is perfect for me.

Kind of long winded eh? Hope this helps some.

Guest DillyDally

Wow, I hadn't expected such a response! Thanks for the helping hand guys. Basically, I really really really really really want to get into geocaching. That's all. I mean, I like to go hiking and stuff, but it's usually nothing my head can't handle (as far as not getting lost goes). So, the GPS unit that I would need would really be used mainly for geocaching. My concerns are mainly speed, ability to get a signal, and $$$. Does anybody know about some of the "other" brands of GPS units? Eagle or some such? Any "cheapies but goodies" out there? Thanks again guys!

DH

Guest bigethespe

seems to me that a "cheapie but goodie" would be the garmin etrex - i bought one a few days ago and found my first cache the same day. walmart had them for $119 on sunday (feb 25)

Perhaps you can post to the forum for Texas and ask if anyone can take you along on a hunt? You could get a good test drive that way and decide what one you want to use.

Jeremy