Magellan GPS 315 for $40 at K-Mart!!!

Guest Rubbertoe

Guest Rubbertoe

Giddyup!

I stopped by the local K-Mart today to see if they had any GPS stuff hidden away, gathering dust - and, to my good fortune, they did.

There was an eTrex (basic) and a Mag 315 sitting in the bottom of the glass case behind the counter.

Scanned the eTrex for a price check... $119. dadgum. Scanned the 315... $60 *clearance*

DING DING DING We have a winner!

So, I quickly snatched it out of her hands before she could realize what a deal she was giving me, and ran out the door with it. (After I paid for it, of course.)

And now, I was just checking on the www.magellangps.com web site to see what I could learn about this unit - and there is a $20 rebate offer!

*insert picture of me smiling really big here*

$40 bucks for a spankin' new 315. I suggest you all run down to the nearest K-Mart today and see if you can pick one up. ( But not if you are just gonna turn around and sell it on eBay - that'd be bad, mmkay? )

Best of luck to you all...

Toe.

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

....Scanned the eTrex for a price check... $119. dadgum. Scanned the 315... $60 *clearance*

Toe.

I ran right out to my local K Mart, and the people at the sporting goods counter were completely incompetent. I waited about 15 minutes for a clerk, and finally called to store on my cell phone to ask where the person was... when he showed up, I asked what kinds of GPS receivers they had he said "We don't carry those." I pointed at the eTrex in the case and said that they at least had that one. It rang up at $119, but when I asked if they had the Mag 315, he said "We don't have it." I was a little skeptical about his knowledge in the area already, so I made him search a while. No joy. icon_frown.gif

I guess that's what I get for showing up at 8:30 P.M. and asking questions. rolleyes.gif I'll go back tomorrow when there's somebody competent at the counter.

-- Mitch

Guest PneumaticDeath

quote:

....Scanned the eTrex for a price check... $119. dadgum. Scanned the 315... $60 *clearance*

Toe.

I ran right out to my local K Mart, and the people at the sporting goods counter were completely incompetent. I waited about 15 minutes for a clerk, and finally called to store on my cell phone to ask where the person was... when he showed up, I asked what kinds of GPS receivers they had he said "We don't carry those." I pointed at the eTrex in the case and said that they at least had that one. It rang up at $119, but when I asked if they had the Mag 315, he said "We don't have it." I was a little skeptical about his knowledge in the area already, so I made him search a while. No joy. icon_frown.gif

I guess that's what I get for showing up at 8:30 P.M. and asking questions. rolleyes.gif I'll go back tomorrow when there's somebody competent at the counter.

-- Mitch

Guest Rubbertoe

On a side note, the unit that I got has firmware revision 1.03 - which is apparently VERY old, seeing as there is a 3.14 available on Magellan's web site.

But still, $40 bucks... can't complain. Plus, that gives me the extra jack to buy one of those expensive PC<->GPS data cables, and I can upgrade that way, I imagine.

Anyway - just wanted to mention that, in case that would make anyone think twice.

Toe.

Guest JonBoy470

That's awesome! A GPS315 for $60 is a real find, even if it has been sitting in the display case for a couple of years! :-)

I myself have a GPS315 and can't stop raving about it.

------------------

----------------------

-Jon

Magellan GPS315

Guest cache_ninja

my firmware is really old as well, 2.02 i think. it still works really well. i love it. word of advice, if you havent taken the protective sticker off the screen yet, leave it on, my screen it scratched all over.

Guest Rubbertoe

Another note on the 315... I didn't manage to find any more of them at K-Mart, but I did find an online retailer who has the PC data cable. Now, I don't mean the $40 data/power cable - I'm talking about the el-cheap-o $19 PC<--->315 cord.

www.gps4fun.com

Can't wait to get it... gonna update my firmware asap. Although, even this old revision kicks the *** of my old Eagle Explorer icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, sorry for the spam if we aren't supposed to mention URLs for gps sales and stuff - just throwing it out there if any of you need just the regular ol' data cable.

Toe.

Guest Rubbertoe

Another note on the 315... I didn't manage to find any more of them at K-Mart, but I did find an online retailer who has the PC data cable. Now, I don't mean the $40 data/power cable - I'm talking about the el-cheap-o $19 PC<--->315 cord.

www.gps4fun.com

Can't wait to get it... gonna update my firmware asap. Although, even this old revision kicks the *** of my old Eagle Explorer icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, sorry for the spam if we aren't supposed to mention URLs for gps sales and stuff - just throwing it out there if any of you need just the regular ol' data cable.

Toe.

Guest ClayJar

My MAP 330 stays in its protective self-adjusting plastic case (Ziploc bag, that is) while I'm on the hunt (at least when there's a finite possibility of liquids). I'm one of the half the world who thinks the Magellan interface is more comfortable than the Garmin one (and I have no click-stick tongue.gif ). Of course, the Magellan/Garmin preferences are reminiscent of the "boxers or briefs", "Free Software vs. Open Source", and "moon landings vs. flaming idiots" debates; I'm not even going to touch it.

Guest ClayJar

Best way to avoid condensation (for me) is to zip it up in the car by the A/C vent (very dry air). Of course, if you have to change batteries on the way (and you didn't put spares in the bag -- a good idea if it's raining), you may want to think about something like silica gel or Damp-Rid. Of course, if you wanted to look special, you could carry a little CO2 cartridge to flush the air out of the bag, but that might make you look odd. (Not that you wouldn't be used to looking odd while geocaching...)

Guest rusty

quote:

Now, I don't mean the $40 data/power cable - I'm talking about the el-cheap-o $19 PC<--->315 cord.

I bought my power/data cable for the 315 at Gander Mountain for $24 regular price right off the shelf.

Regarding the water issue - My Magellan 315 has been underwater more than once and it floats if you drop it. According to the manual it's housing is waterproof although it doesn't give a depth rating. I've had it maybe 2 feet under by accident a couple times, no problem.

Rusty...

Guest Jebediah

The 315 is not waterproof, according to Magellan, but 'weatherproof'. Their warranty does not cover damage through moisture ingress from rain or water immersion. I find plastic bags to be a clumsy and inadequate means of addressing water resistance issues. If my outdoors compass needs no plastic bag, why should my outdoors GPS receiver?

When I bought my Magellan I did not realize that there existed a standardized water resistance rating test, IEC 529. For some time, Magellan did not report the results of IEC529 testing of their receivers, so there was no way of giving an objective standard, short of anecdotal reports. In my emails to them they did say that all their outdoor handheld models 310, 315, 330M, etc. have the exact same water resistance abilities, and that my 315 was not designed to withstand more than a light rain or accidental contact with moisture.

Magellan reports the IEC-529 rating of their 330M as IPX2. This is five standards short of the IPX7 water immersion rating and covers only "protection against falling water drops when enclosure tilted up to 15 degrees." In contrast the higher IPX3-7 standards range from spraying water, splashing water, water jets, powerful water jets, and finally, temporary immersion in water to 1 meter depth. If Magellan handheld receivers like the 315 met the IPX7 standard in average lot batch-testing, you can be sure that the company would advertise that fact.

Lowrance makes a small outdoors GPS receiver rated IPX2. They include a ziploc style bag with each one, a rather telling indictment in my view.

Now that it's possible to design and produce IPX7 rated receivers, my hope is that the next generation of Magellan and Lowrance will be so equipped and the warranty amended to suit, increasing the competitive pressure on Garmin.

[This message has been edited by Jebediah (edited 04 July 2001).]

Guest Jebediah

Of course, personal experience gives one statistical example. My personal experience is that I ended up with a dead GPS and no recourse for replacement. What difference does it make if it 'floats' if it won't prevent water entry?

My source is the Product Support reply to my numerous e-mails, and you can also consult the website specs for the 315 and 330M, where the 315 is listed as 'weatherproof' and the 330M is rated IPX2 under 'Specifications, Water Resistance'. Ask Magellan if ANY of the 315, 330M line meet IPX7 water immersion rating. www.magellangps.com

[This message has been edited by Jebediah (edited 04 July 2001).]

Guest abreuma

Was at a local Super Walmart today and they had the 315 marked at something like $119 with a "was $147" sign on it. Still deciding what unit I want so I didn't buy it, but thought I'd pass the word along.

Guest cleenjeep

I bought a garmin 12 for kayaking, I didnt really know it was so dependable, until i realized I am constantly splashing it with nasty river water, dropping it, dropping it in the river (3 feet under) at a portage, and exposing it to rain. I guess that is good enough for me. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another of these for any reason, full price, on sale, or ten bucks more than the store next door. I love it! Now of course, it spends more time geocaching than kayaking, since I do that more often!

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest Ron Streeter

I checked with 3 local KMarts shortly after this thread started. None were left. One clerk said they had one that was originally $250 that went for $100...don't know which one.

Then the other day in Antioch, CA a KMART I went to had this take on GPS units.

Me: Do you have any GPS units on clearance?

Clerk: We don't have any at all.

Me: What about those in the glass case?

Clerk: Oh we have those, but they're not on clearance.

Me: What are the prices on those?

Clerk: They're all the same price.

Me: How could they be, there are 3 different models there.

At this point she rattled off the prices on three separate Garmin models from $120 up to $250. They had 4 of each model for a total of 12.

Clerk: We don't seem to stock the brand our customers want.

Me: Thanks !

Is this the reason Wal-Mart is beating K-Mart?

Guest jaeger

quote:
Originally posted by Jebediah:

The 315 is not waterproof, according to Magellan, but 'weatherproof'.

When I bought mine a year or so ago. They listed it as waterproof. Mine was in the water twice and splashed a lot of times. It then spent maybe 20 hours under a foot or so of water (don't ask). It was full of brackish water sloshing in the case! Magellan replaced it no questions asked. It did take a couple weeks though, I thought that was good enough service. I wish they had let me upgrade to the 330 for the difference in price, but they said no.

Maybe they stopped listing it as waterproof because they had to many returns for warranty replacement. I wonder what their warranty policy is now. I would guess it might depend on whether you bought it before or after they started listing it as weatherproof.

Guest Jebediah

nce.

I would certainly consider buying another Magellan if they introduced an IPX7-rated, waterproof product. But the bar has been raised. Whether Magellan responds to it or not largely depends on customer demand for improvement.

Let me ask you the question - if Magellan offered you a choice in their new line of an IPX2 receiver (test of water drops) or IPX7 rated receiver (spraying water, splashing water, water jets, powerful water jets and actual immersion), which one would you buy?

I thought so.

[This message has been edited by Jebediah (edited 17 July 2001).]

Guest Cermak

Mine is also listed as water proof. The User Manual on page 59 says:

Housing: Waterproof construction, wraparound rubber armor.

Now I am not saying they didn't change it because I am sure they got quite a few back (I know I have sent several back for the stor I work for) and figured they were losin some $$...

Scott

Guest BX Tale

My GF wanted one so went went to K-Mart to look for one. The first one my GF almost got into a cat fight with the lady behind the counter. What a bunch of morons that work at K-Mart. We went to a second one. They had no clue what i was talking about. "what's that, GPS I never heard of that" was a common phrase at that K-Mart. The third one, the guy behind the ELECTRONIC counter, said Hell yeah we have those, then the took me to the Crayola crayons section and told me "Na, we ran out". I didn't know what to do, to cry or get mad? Wal Mart rules. I rather drive way upsate to go to one than waste my time going to a local K-Mart. If any find one for $60 local please let me know.

Guest chrome

Here are a few tips when checking to see if your local store has them at $60... (from experience at several stores)

1. Any one store may have a clearance that doesn't apply at another store. (seems odd)

2. Wal-Mart has GPS Units in the sporting Goods section - in the case with the fish finders etc - at every K-Mart I went to.

3. K-Mart has GPS units located in the electronics section with the cameras (again, at every location I visited)

4. Not a single store had them for less than $119 when I checked on this 2 weeks ago.

We went to 6 K-Marts and 4 Wal-Marts.

Guest Rubbertoe

I checked 4 other K-Marts in my area as well, with little results.... one said they DID have one at that same clearance price, and the other 3 - the people had no clue what I was talking about. (But I did check both the sporting goods and electronics area, and didn't see any sign of GPS stuff)

Looks like my luck will only strike once with this deal.

Toe.

If you live near one... Fry's Electronics has the 315X for $89 after mail-in rebate. The 315X is a bundle: it has the 315, the data cable, software and carrying case.

Jose

Guest Cermak
Originally posted by Jose:

If you live near one... Fry's Electronics has the 315X for $89 after mail-in rebate.

Went by there today and nobody knew what I was talking about. Want to get one for my cousin, and this would be a heck of a price! Was the rebate from Fry's or Magellan, if you remember ? Or did it already end. I couldn't imagine it being out long, that's a $90 rebate ($179 at the Fry's in Arlington, Texas)

Scott

Guest Campeon1981

Where can I find this 315x "bundle" package you guys are mentioning? Websites, locally (Ft. Laud, FL), etc?

Are there different kinds of packages that contain parts or pieces that other packages do not?

Humor the newbie! icon_wink.gif

Guest Campeon1981

Where can I find this 315x "bundle" package you guys are mentioning? Websites, locally (Ft. Laud, FL), etc?

Are there different kinds of packages that contain parts or pieces that other packages do not?

Guest MNMartian

I just picked up a Magellan 315 three days ago at Wal-Mart for $139.99. I got the instructional video for it there too for $11.88. Best price I've seen so far. I found my first cache today, it brought me to within 5 feet! Love it!

Guest dmurray14

quote:
Originally posted by Cermak:

Mine is also listed as water proof. The User Manual on page 59 says:

Housing: Waterproof construction, wraparound rubber armor.

Now I am not saying they didn't change it because I am sure they got quite a few back (I know I have sent several back for the stor I work for) and figured they were losin some $$...

Scott

Mine, Also, and I bought it yesterday, August 6th. Page 59: Housing: Waterproof (Battery Compartment is Splashproof)

Guest Jebediah

imitating hard or wind-driven rain. It has the same construction and the same water resistance as the 330 (IPX2). If you're serious about the water resistance issue, don't rely on a overlooked line in a brochure - ask the company directly - does it meet IPX7 rating or not, yes or no?

Guest The Play-Doh Kid

quote:
Originally posted by Campeon1981:

Don't know if you have a FRYE'S store in your area but they have the 315X (includes cable and case) for 129.00.

Guest The Play-Doh Kid

quote:
Originally posted by Campeon1981:

Don't know if you have a FRYE'S store in your area but they have the 315X (includes cable and case) for 129.00.

Guest Campeon1981

quote:
Originally posted by The Play-Doh Kid:

Thanks... actually I already bought the 315x off Ebay. When it arrived it had a FRYE'S sticker on it. Go figure icon_wink.gif

Guest Campeon1981

quote:
Originally posted by The Play-Doh Kid:

Thanks... actually I already bought the 315x off Ebay. When it arrived it had a FRYE'S sticker on it. Go figure icon_wink.gif