"D" in black sat bar on Garmin Legend?

wkendrvr

quote:
Originally posted by wkendrvr:

Looked through the manual icon_eek.gif and couldn't find an answer to this. After a while, I get a few capital D's in the black sat bars on my Garmin Legend. Does this indicate that those are the sats used for determining position or? Just Curious...

I do believe that the D's indicate you have the "WAAS" enabled and it is telling you which sat signals are being augmented. You should also see a WAAS satellite number (33 or above) displayed somewhere on the Sat status page.

The jury is still out on whether it actually helps us finding caches or not. You can turn the feature off on your unit if you wish.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

The "D" DOES mean you either in the process of getting WAAS corrections or have already recieved the corrections.

If the D is in the middle of the bar, this means it hasn't gotten the WAAS corrections YET but is getting them now. And if the D is at the bottom of one of the satelites it means THAT satelite has already recieved corrections. You will not see accuracy go down significatly though untill more satelites have all got WAAS corrections and have had them for around 10 minutes. As for geocaching, in most cases you should just turn it off because recieving WAAS corrections in trees is much more difficult and uncommon. But If you did have WAAS in the trees, it WOULD improve accuracy.

Hope this helps, take a look on garmins website on one of their newer models (rino, Map76) MANUALS and they have good explanations icon_smile.gif

When WAAS is enables the GPSR gets signals from the WAAS satellite (35 here in the east) that contains differential information for all the other satellites in the sky. Once the differential information is decoded for a given satellite the D appears in the signal bar. In order for WAAS to really be effective you need 4 or more sats with differential information for several minutes.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.