Military GPS's

Guest tmateam

Guest tmateam

Curious.. I was looking through Ebay last night (I already have a Mag Map 330, but was bored), and came across several ads for what were described as military-grade GPSR's. (Magellan 2000 "military calibrated", Scout M, Magellan 1000M, etc.) I understand about the different signals that consumer and miltary-grade GPSR's receive. And, it sounds like only the military and other authorized people can use the GPS units that give an accuracy down to a meter. But, are those units the actual ones that receive this other signal?

Examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1288487544

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1285239048

Just curious. Sure, it would be "neat" to have a unit that was so accurate that no one could ever dispute the coords you put for your cache. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by tmateam:

Just curious. Sure, it would be "neat" to have a unit that was so accurate that no one could ever dispute the coords you put for your cache. icon_smile.gif

Well, I checked the specs on the Trimble Scout (one of your examples). It's only a 3 channel, has an SA off accuracy of 25 meters, and lasts 4-6hrs on 4 AA batteries. I think the $280 its up to could be WAY better spent elsewhere icon_smile.gif

Just another case of "let the ebay buyer beware".

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 23 October 2001).]

quote:

But, are those units the actual ones that receive this other signal?

No, certainly not the same as military units.

These model/style of Magellans were probably running around in the gulf war (~1990) and as far as I'm aware failed the EOW rollover back in 1999.

Military units (capable of military signals) aren't that accurate that they can't be disputed.

Cheers, Kerry.

Note that the military GPS receivers need to have a current encryption code entered before they will give you the improved reliability and accuracy. Getting DOD to send you updated codes for the unit you buy on eBay will not be easy.

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

Note that the military GPS receivers need to have a current encryption code entered before they will give you the improved reliability and accuracy. Getting DOD to send you updated codes for the unit you buy on eBay will not be easy.

Somehow I don't thing one is going to find a P code receiver available on Ebay, which reading the specs of the the ones advertised don't even come close.

"Course/Acquisition (C/A) capability

(No Precise (P), and/or Encrypted P (Y) code compatibility)"

DOD encryption key codes would be next to impossible unless one was a U.S Federal Agency or with the capability of making application through a Foreign Military Sales procurement policy (for countries with a memorandum of understanding).

Cheers, Kerry.

[This message has been edited by Kerry (edited 24 October 2001).]

quote:

I was looking through Ebay last night (I already have a Mag Map 330, but was bored), and came across several ads for what were described as military-grade GPSR's. (Magellan 2000 "military calibrated", Scout M, Magellan 1000M, etc.)

Military grade could also mean that the unit complies with some type of military standard for rugidness. I know of some civilian radios that claim to do just that.

------------------

Vince

0H/2F