Cable for Magellan Meridian to PC

pamap

quote:
Originally posted by PAMAP:

Does anyone know if you can purchase a cable converter to take the supplied Magellan Cable and convert it to something other than Com/Serial connection? Some of the newer laptops do not have Com/Serial ports. Any recommendations/Ideas???

There are USB/serial converters. Belkin makes some. They also have a USB PDA Adapter which I havn't tested for GPS, but sure looks like a nice form factor.

I have heard from others (but haven't tried myself) that the PDA converters are the same as the USB-serial adapters, and would serve the need. Often they seem to cost $13-14 while the USB-serial adapters are around $30. I wonder about that.

At any rate, I bought one of the $30 thingees for my MeriPlat, and it's working well.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

I have heard from others (but haven't tried myself) that the PDA converters are the same as the USB-serial adapters, and would serve the need. Often they seem to cost $13-14 while the USB-serial adapters are around $30. I wonder about that.

At any rate, I bought one of the $30 thingees for my MeriPlat, and it's working well.

Max

Was the $30 thingee faster through the USB compared to the serial? I have a MeriPlat too and have been considering the same purchase...

Is there any kind of set up one has to do to make this work (besides installing drivers) with either the GPS, the computer, or the GPS software? (I'm running Windows XP, if that makes a difference.)

I purchased an "iConcepts" PDA USB adapter (same physical look as serial-USB adapter) and it doesn't work with my MeriPlat. I suspect the reason this one doesn't work is because it seems to be desigen specifically for PDA's. If that's the case I'll dish out the $ for an adapter that does work. But before I do want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Thanks for any info anyone can give...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei.

"The indoor life is the next best thing to premature burial." -Edward Abbey

I would not be surprised if you had to change a com setting, but I wouldn't expect you would have to do more than that in most cases.

Try taking a look in device mangager at your Ports (COM & LTP) entries. I have one there that says "ATEN USB to Serial Cable (COM3)" Make sure that the COM setting there is not conflicting with any other com settings.

FWIW, I read someone's claim that the PDA adapters were identical to the USB adapters. Guess I can only offer it as rumor; I'll be interested to know how you make out.

Max

Unable to wrestle my iConcepts serial-USB adapter into shape I went ahead and got the Belkin adapter - and it works like a charm! I'm once again able to find myself with my GPS!

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei.

"The indoor life is the next best thing to premature burial." -Edward Abbey