Sportrack Pro -Downloading Map Info

Cap'n

Hi gang,

With the Sportrack Pro, can I load both maps & information from both the - ("Topo" CD and the "Steets & Destination's" CD ) - into the 23 megs of memory together?

What I mean is; Do you have to load information from one CD only @ a time? or can I put information from both CD's into the memory?

I ordered a new one & it came today but I was not here to sign for it so it's @ the US Post Office tonight......

Thank's Paul icon_razz.gif

On the Meridian I'm pretty sure you could do that...you only have one detailed map active at a time, and the Meridian doesn't care if it's Topo or S&D. I would think that you could do the same with the SporTrak, but perhaps a SporTrak owner will tell you that it functions differently than the expandable Meridian memory.

BTW, do you already *have* Topo and S&D? They don't differ all that much and one or the other usually suffices. Some have bought both and regretted the second purchase. OTOH, if you already have 'em go at it.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

You cannot load data from both products. When you load a region, it removes all old data. So if you had data from S&D then loaded data from Topo, the S&D info would be overwritten. Make sense?

Also, I don't believe there's anything on S&D that you can't find on Topo (could be wrong on this point - I've only used Topo).

-----

Memory is a prism through which yesterday's light is passed.

I was the first to reply earlier, but for some reason my post didnt go tthru.

If you have the new 4.0X firmware, you can make a region using each prog (S&D and Topo), and download them both. I beleieve with the new firmware, the new detail map wont overwrite the old one, as long as you dont go over 4 maps total, and you stay within the memory allocation of your SportTrak.

Once you download them, you can switch between them in the Menu->Map Utilites screen.

I know this isnt what you wanted to hear, but I dont believe there is any way to combine data between the two programs. I think the only difference between the two, (other than topo info in Topo), is the amount & types of POI's....

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

Hello All:

Now that I have bought the Sportrak Pro, I have no $ left for map databases. Is there a place I can download the maps off the 'net for free? I'm a newbie so if this is forbidden, just let me know. I would assume there is a mapping database somewhere but just don't know yet. Thanks for the info, and happy hunting.

Squeaker..... icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Squeaker:

Hello All:

Now that I have bought the Sportrak Pro, I have no $ left for map databases. Is there a place I can download the maps off the 'net for free? I'm a newbie so if this is forbidden, just let me know. I would assume there is a mapping database somewhere but just don't know yet. Thanks for the info, and happy hunting.

Squeaker..... icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not sure how the Sportrac handles map up-loads, but with the Meridian, you can only up-load maps using Magellans Mapsend products, I don't think the Sportrac would be any different. From what I have heard, you can't add to the memory of a sportrac,and I don't know if Mapsend will even work with them??

Bob G.

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???

A co worker received a Sport Trak Pro for Christmas as soon returned it after Megellin verified that there was a MAPPING OVER LAY problem in his home area of Ocean and Monmouth Counties in New Jersey.

The error was roughly 500 feet to the north of the actual GPS location. He would stand in his yard and it literally showed him 2 full blocks away - also sat at an intersection then noticed the unit showed him through the intersection already again by 500 ft.

He returned the unit after Megellan told him it would be at least 6 to 9 months before a software fix could be released to solve the problem.

I have two units, a Garmin Street Pilot 3, which I totally love - but it is made for the car NOT for trekking and the Garmin Etrex Vista which is a fine unit filled with many features.

My coworker ended up with the Garmin GPS-5 and is extremely happy and it uses the mapsource software and as with my two units, is very accurate.

Just thought you all would like to know.

Bee

Cap'n,

I was glad to see your post. This is the same question I have, and couldn't find much detail on Magellan's website about this. I have the SporTrak Pro, and both CDs, and have not been able to load maps from both programs. I saw the post concerning the firmware version required, and think I am out of luck (choosing "About.." gives me Rev 3.03 of June 2002).

Does anyone know if there is a work around for this? Can I somehow export POIs from the Streets and Destinations USA program, and then import them into the MapSend Topo program? If so, then I could choose the few POIs from Streets I that I am wanting, and continue to have all the Topo POIs. BTW, there are several on Streets that are beneficial and not on Topo (Hotels and Lodges; Shopping Centers; Restaurants, etc.).

Thanks,

Ken

AKA: LEC (Local Exchange Carrier) Boy

Hi,

icon_smile.gifI received the same version 3.03 & was discouraged also! But alas don't fret!

With your new Pro you should have rec'd a serial port cable for your computer. Go to Magellan's website & go to the Support section & from there go to Sportrack Pro & finally U icon_razz.gifpdates.

They will update your version 3.03 to the New Version 4.03 - free....

Just follow the directions,download the update etc.& connect the PC cable to your computer & to your Pro. Follow directions carefully & it will change your Pro

's Firmware to Version 4.03

I did it (with my son's help) & it worked just fine!!!

Another post said we can download both types of CD info into the Pro w/o problems, Hope So.

Good Luck, Paul

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

If you have an SD card reader and the latest firmware you can put multiple region files from either product (S&D or Topo) on it and use them. You can only have one detail region active though, so you'd need to pick the one that was appropriate for your use.

The Sportrack Pro doesn't use SD cards, so this doesn't help.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Beemaster:

A co worker received a Sport Trak Pro for Christmas as soon returned it after Megellin verified that there was a MAPPING OVER LAY problem in his home area of Ocean and Monmouth Counties in New Jersey.

The error was roughly 500 feet to the north of the actual GPS location. He would stand in his yard and it literally showed him 2 full blocks away - also sat at an intersection then noticed the unit showed him through the intersection already again by 500 ft.

He returned the unit after Megellan told him it would be at least 6 to 9 months before a software fix could be released to solve the problem.

Bee

I've used a Sportrack Pro extensively in the Monmouth County area and have noticed no such error. I've seen a few places where things were a little off, but those were also times it was showing a 100ft+ EPE, so thats to be expected.

I've seen this complaint come up before, and while I'm sure NO map is 100% perfect, most of the time these are operator error. Most (not all, no flames here!) tech support people are about par with burger flippers at McD's. It's a low paying, unskilled, ntry level job. They read off info from a computerized flowchart, and have no real grasp of your problem or the solution. The easy way out is to say "Yup, seems like you have a problem, hopefully it will be fixed in the next update". Just easier then going thru the whole manual with you step by step.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.