Maps/waypoints vs. crumb trails GPS3+

Guest ibtc

I need help understanding waypoints compared to crumb trails. I can only keep 10 crumb trails in my GPS 3+. If I could load more crumb trails into my unit, it seems as if wouldnt have to purchase & download maps into my unit. Waypoints take you straight line to your destination- which we know wont work in reality (on a highway). You can use a crumb trail and have NO map features at all and get to where you are going- assuming you've been there at least once, and loaded it in your unit. Also- when i load crumbtrails in my GPS, it actually loads LOTS of waypoints along the way, why im not sure. my thoughts are that Crumb trails could be utilized more if your unit could handle more than 10.

I hope someone can understand what I'm trying to say, and lets discuss

eek.gif

Guest gstrong1

ibtc. I think you're talking about routes, not crumb trails.Crumb trails show you where you've been,& will just keep on loading till the alloted memory area is full & then start writing over from the beginning. Routes show you where you're going.It has to load waypoints along the way to show you direction & distance to destination. In other words, if you plan a route that heads down a trail & then has to take a 90 degree turn down another trail, you have to have a starting point, a turning point & a finishing point. This for each turn you take. A bread crumb trail, just records the path you took, so doesn't have to have waypoints to show you where to go.I hope I've explained close to correctly.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

'ibtc' is correct that the 10 Saved Tracklogs (sometimes called breadcrumb trails) can be used in some cases to substitute for a map. In fact, when I only had a GPS12 (no mapping capability), I created a tracklog that showed all of the major highways in the SF Bay area. That way I could always see my position and bearing relative to the main highways. Currently, with my eMap, I use several of the Saved Tracklogs to show the locations of local bicycle trails and display them on top of the MapSource maps. Note that tracklogs can be created in two ways - by physically travelling along the path or by using a 3rd party program like GARtrip or Ozi to draw the track on a scanned/downloaded map and then upload it to your GPS receiver.

However, the Saved Tracklogs have several disadvantages compared to a real map. They aren't labeled with a name the way streets and highways are in a regular map; they can't be set with individual zoom levels to control when they are displayed (e.g. on the regular maps the main highways show even when zoomed way out, but small streets only appear when zoomed in); and only limited details can be included given the limitation of 250 points in each of 10 tracks.