Backwards Magellan

I've just got a Magellan Meridian Platinum after usine an e-Trex Summit for just over a year. To say I'm pleased is an understatement, it's a fantastic bit of kit.

However I noticed a strange thing today. For some reason the compass started pointing in completely the wrong direction, like 180 degrees out.

I tried re-calibrating it 3 times with no luck. Only after I took out the batteries and started from cold did it start behaving again.

Has anyone else seen this?

Even with this one "blip" I wouldn't change it for anything at the price. Fantastic!

I have noticed in the car that the engine or electronics effect the compass so I rely on the map screen set to north up to to keep on track. Did the "Compass Orientation " get switched to GPS course? or was it your magnetic personality

quote:
Originally posted by MACpa:

I have noticed in the car that the engine or electronics effect the compass so I rely on the map screen set to north up to to keep on track. Did the "Compass Orientation " get switched to GPS course? or was it your magnetic personality

I noticed the effect when I was walking well away from anything metallic and the compass set to Magnetic North. With it switched to GPS course it behaved OK (as long as I was moving!).

quote:
Originally posted by jasbo:

Mine has done it a couple of times usually after having it clipped on my belt and running or if it gets jostled around a lot - it must have something to do with the compass, but mine always behaves if I just turn it off and back on.

Ah! This sounds like what might have happened with mine. I've had it wedged on the car dashboard and it has fallen off as I've gone over a bump in the road. I don't know if the events are linked but I'll look out for some sort of correlation if it happens again.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Here is what I was doing:

Driving in the car, the Platinum plugged into the cig lighter via the power cable. When I would stop, I would just undo the cable (and the Platinum would complain about losing external power). It was during one of these disconnects that it seemed to flip orientation. Once I started turning the device off before connecting/disconnecting, I haven't had the problem since. Could be unrelated to the above though, but that is my story and I'm sticking to it!

--Marky

I've had my MeriPlat for less than a week, and I'm noticing "issues" with the compass. For example, West is dead-on, East is off by about 5-10 degrees, north is off by 30, and south is off the other way by 10 degrees or so. I've tried calibrating about 5-6 thousand times - inside, outside, picnic table, ground.

Anyone else had any compass issues like this?

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

Just putting forth my own findings:

If you have an active way point and you switch to compass mode (using the "fluxgate") the compass arrow will point to your destination.

this mignt not change even if the unit is powered down.

I have not tried to change the compass setting to "GPS course" (why did I buy it?)to see if it would make a difference.

First.

Make sure you have no active waypoints or routes.

So, I pissed someone off again did eye?