Adding detail to Garmin eMap

Guest Seamus

Guest Seamus

nal maps are often a great help to navigation, keeping me from having to switch back and forth between the unit and a paper map. At least in the Baltimore and DC areas.

I actually live in Frederick County, Maryland, and have a great many rural routes and backroads-type areas accessible to hide caches in. While the pre-programmed data in the eMap is great for urban and suburban settings, it usually doesn't take long before I find myself wandering around in the "big grey spaces" between state highways.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with any of the software packages and/or memory card options available for the eMap, for uploading more detailed maps into the unit.

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

Frederick, MD

Guest Robereno

I've been using the Emap with an 8 meg card and the topgraphic map from mapsource.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo.html

Seems to work really well though I've only had it for a couple of weeks. I've considered trying the Delorme maps. Not sure how they work with the emap. They don't specify what GPS device they are compatible with, just a generalized statement that they work with most units.

[This message has been edited by Robereno (edited 04-15-2001).]

Guest peter

I second Robenero's suggestion to go to the MapViewer in Garmin's Cartography section on their website to see what level of detail is available in a few areas with which you're familiar. Be sure to zoom in and set to 'More Detail' in order to see all the information that's on the maps.

As to the DeLorme products, note that when they say their maps are compatible with various GPS units, that means you can connect the GPS and see where you are on your PC monitor (or Palm/CE device with Solus). The maps cannot be displayed directly on any GPS screen.

DeLorme does support up/download of routes, tracks, and waypoints with many GPS models - but no maps.