What icon for waypoints?

Guest BKDotCom

Guest BKDotCom

This is a silly question but...

what icon does everyone use in their GPS for geocache waypoints??

Stick with the default "dot"?

I personaly like the "information" "[?]"

The ? lends itself to the mystery and adventure of the cache

I noticed that the new download for Easy GPS for Groudspeak option uses the default dot icon...

just curious.

I'm guessing there is some soft of standards body that defined the waypoint types? What would it take to get a "geocache" type? Seems like that'd be way more common than silly stuff like "parachute site"... Maybe I just don't know anything.

Guest Hard Slate

I like the circle with the x in the middle, on my gps12 I can tell when I'm in the center of the icon.With the dot,the 'you're here' dot looks the same as the icon.

[This message has been edited by Hard Slate (edited 23 July 2001).]

Guest k2dave

I use the private field icon - mainly because I doubt I will use it for private fields.

The dot I use for temp waypoints so I can delete by symbol

Guest PneumaticDeath

I use the skull & crossbones Danger Area (not to be confused with the diamond-in-box Dangerous Area) It's not that i consider geocaching dangerous, it's that I like the piratey feel of it. icon_wink.gif

-- Mitch

Guest PneumaticDeath

I use the skull & crossbones Danger Area (not to be confused with the diamond-in-box Dangerous Area) It's not that i consider geocaching dangerous, it's that I like the piratey feel of it. icon_wink.gif

-- Mitch

Guest Sluggo

I'm with BKDotCom. I use the "Information [?] symbol. I hadn't thought about using two different symbols for "un-found" and "found". But, I think that is a good idea. Maybe we could talk the manufactures into a software/firmware upgrade that would meet our needs. Anyone know any product planning managers at Garmin, Magellen, etc.? icon_wink.gif

Guest Sluggo

I'm with BKDotCom. I use the "Information [?] symbol. I hadn't thought about using two different symbols for "un-found" and "found". But, I think that is a good idea. Maybe we could talk the manufactures into a software/firmware upgrade that would meet our needs. Anyone know any product planning managers at Garmin, Magellen, etc.? icon_wink.gif

Guest jeremy

I talked with Garmin a few weeks back and asked them about creating a treasure/geocaching icon for their next patch/upgrades. They said they'd pass the idea on to their dev team.

I personally use the skull and crossbones waypoint (the pirate theme), and plain old dots for everything else. What I really do usually is just wipe the memory each time I go out and only have a few waypoints in the system, so they're easy to find.

Jeremy

Guest robamy

I also like the "information" "[?]". It took a while for me to decide but I thought this one fit the best from the choices I have.

Let's hope Garmin will make a special waypoint!

Guest tnunnery

Like Bob, I use the mine icon for caches I am seeking. A GeoCache icon would be nice - especially if I am ever in the vicinity of a real mine.

Guest k2dave

quote:
I use the Toll both icon (cent symbol inside a circle) for unfound caches and the Bank Symbol ($) for found caches.

The toll icon was my 2nd choice (as stated above I use the private field icon)- maybe that will become my found icon and maybe the $ one for ones I've places

Guest poppyseed

I'm a piratey person, too. Skull and crossbones lends adventure to the mildest caches, not that I need any encouragement or prompt for excitement.

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

hey how did you get that mine symble

You mean your keyboard doesn't have one?

Actually, I just started up G7ToWin (freeware similar to EZ GPS, except with more features and less headaches), which has a text and graphical icon for most of the Garmin units, as well as Street Atlas USA. I captured the image using Paint Shop Pro, saved it as a gif file, and uploaded it to my domain space. Then I added the ... UUB code to imbed the image URL in the message.

Guest BKDotCom

Woohoo! I was just on Garmin's site and found this:

Changes made from version 2.28 to 2.29:

* Improved WAAS operation when more than one WAAS satellite is visible.

* Added geocache icons.

* Fixed shutdown problem related to low battery.

I'll have to check it out when i get home!

Guest LuvGuppy

I was excited to see that Garmin has added the Geocache icon to the new etrex updates. However, it seems the new basic etrex update does not include this. Ugh! I?m going to e-mail Garmin right now!

quote:
Originally posted by LuvGuppy:

I was excited to see that Garmin has added the Geocache icon to the new etrex updates. However, it seems the new basic etrex update does not include this. Ugh! I?m going to e-mail Garmin right now!

Better yet, a tool for editing and uploading icons would be ideal.

Scott

redd@interbug.com

http://interbug.com/pigeon

If you're a Premium Member and using Pocket Queries, I have a tool that will modify the GPX files to show whatever icon you want for each different type of cache.

GPX Spinner

icon_smile.gif Change the waypoint name to include the cache name, ID, difficulty, terrain, or any combination.

icon_biggrin.gif Change the symbol to represent the type of cache (e.g. a treasure chest for regular caches, a camera for Virtuals, a penny for Micros, or a picnic table for Event Caches).

icon_cool.gif Change the symbol (e.g. to an animal) if the cache contains any travel bugs.

icon_frown.gif Change the symbol (e.g. to a tombstone) if there are several recent "Didn't Find It" logs.

icon_wink.gif Fully configurable!

I plan on adding LOC file support in the near future, but I strongly recommend Pocket Queries - they're much easier.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif