Which GPS is better??

seige02

That's kind of a tough question ... I have a Vista ... which I like for certain things because of size and memory ... but the Map76 is a great GPS ... I'm going to get one of the Map76S's when they come out ... well probably after that second production release icon_biggrin.gif ... so it's going to be a little misleading if you're trying to figure out which one you want to get. Not to mention the Garmin vs Maggie thing ... do a search ... there have been quite a few strings on advantages/disadvantages of nearly every GPS out there at one time or the other ... might give you some direction on which way would be right for you. Just remember ... downloadable maps ... can't be used in a Maggie if it's a Garmin product ... and vice versa. So, it gets to be a bigger investment if you want one of each brand ... that's why most people go one way or the other. That's only for downloading maps ... waypoints, tracks, routes and the like can be handled by a whole bunch of different software.

Anyway ... hope some of that helps you with what you're doing.

348_1002.gif

That's kind of a tough question ... I have a Vista ... which I like for certain things because of size and memory ... but the Map76 is a great GPS ... I'm going to get one of the Map76S's when they come out ... well probably after that second production release icon_biggrin.gif ... so it's going to be a little misleading if you're trying to figure out which one you want to get. Not to mention the Garmin vs Maggie thing ... do a search ... there have been quite a few strings on advantages/disadvantages of nearly every GPS out there at one time or the other ... might give you some direction on which way would be right for you. Just remember ... downloadable maps ... can't be used in a Maggie if it's a Garmin product ... and vice versa. So, it gets to be a bigger investment if you want one of each brand ... that's why most people go one way or the other. That's only for downloading maps ... waypoints, tracks, routes and the like can be handled by a whole bunch of different software.

Anyway ... hope some of that helps you with what you're doing.

348_1002.gif

Mix of new and 'old' units on the list.

Comes down to maps, memory, battery time, durability, and functions - all from your intended use.

If you want a unit for hiking you can make it for $100 Etrex, add basemap $200, add loadable map $300. The purpose is the first question.

The Garmin line is very good, the first run can have tech build issues and software updates required. They support their products warranty pretty well. I have not used a magellan in years to no info.

I vote for the Globalmap100 (if I could.)

Why? Because I've seen the way snoilog goes around in circles with his Garmin!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

_ __ ____________________________________________________________ __ _

On my first day of school, my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery -- there I was, surrounded by trees and shrubs.....

On my first day of school, my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery -- there I was, surrounded by trees and shrubs.....

Before we answer the question, we have to know "Best for what purpose??"

I like my Magellan Meridian as an all-around good performer. If I were in a car all of the time, the Garmin V would be a good choice. If I were backpacking the appalacian trail, I would rather have an eTrex Vista. It al depends on what you need.

quote:
Originally posted by Max Wedge:

I've never understood this 'drunken bee dance' everyone talks about in finding a cache. My Gm100 shows me graphically where the cache is in relation to me. Do you use waypoints and a zommed down map, or move the cursor to the coordinates and view a .1 or .2 map when you are close. I find for really close-in that waypoint names/numbers need to be turned off. My Gm100 walks me right to the direct vicinity of the cache

quote:

I've never understood this 'drunken bee dance' everyone talks about in finding a cache. My Gm100 shows me graphically where the cache is in relation to me. Do you use waypoints and a zommed down map, or move the cursor to the coordinates and view a .1 or .2 map when you are close. I find for really close-in that waypoint names/numbers need to be turned off. My Gm100 walks me right to the direct vicinity of the cache

quote:
Originally posted by pvale:

quote:

I've started calling it the hula. But its the same thing. Once you are close you are too slow for the GPS to keep you on track. So you have to wave your GPS around taking readings to watch the distance get closer or farther. Then you take a step and do it again. For me the dance starts at about 14' usually.

quote:
Originally posted by pvale:

quote:

I've started calling it the hula. But its the same thing. Once you are close you are too slow for the GPS to keep you on track. So you have to wave your GPS around taking readings to watch the distance get closer or farther. Then you take a step and do it again. For me the dance starts at about 14' usually.