Garmin etrex legend

kcny

Updating the firmware usually doesn't clear user data, like waypoints. However, occasionally, when he changes how memory is used, like when the maximum number of waypoints is doubled, everything gets messed up in the flash memory of the Vista/Legend (or whatever). Hence a reset is required, which clears everything, including the almanac. The latter is the reason for requiring longer time to relocate its position after this upgrade.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by BMX Cruiser:

I just upgraded my Legend to 3.1 as well. It took a good 25 minutes to find it's location again. Also the upgrade wiped out all my waypoints and routes. Is this normal?

I upgraded my Legend software to 3.1 the other week. I actually read the upgrade instructions before I upgraded, and noticed the following:

WARNING: If your current software is version 2.50 or lower, this software will clear all unit data including alamanac (sic) information. Backup all user data before upgrading. After installation is complete, place unit with clear view of sky for 15-30 minutes to reacquire almanac data.

When I first got my Legend, until it discovered where it really was, it showed its location as Taiwan. After the 3.10 upgrade, the initial location was somewhere in Kansas.

Garmin's 3.1 instructions seemed to be very clear. Instructions recommended saving waypoints. After upgrade set Legend outside and took the dog for a walk. When I returned the Legend had the Satellites and had updated it self. I did have to correct the battery type. Up grade seemed to very seamless and no blue death. I am impressed.

Siskiyou