Why doesnt direction work?

Guest mxjohn

Guest mxjohn

I know this has been asked before. Nut why does it seem that the direction doesnt work right. It really makes it tough searching for caches when you are under .01 mile and it keeps jumping all over the place. I mean I turn around 180 and walk 5 feet and nothing still says I am pointing in my original direction. Am I supposed to run at top speed through brush to get the darn thing to update? it gets tough I mean the error says like 3 feet sometimes 6 strong satellite signals and all even in the trees and rain. What is up.. something I am not understanding here.. Thinking about buying serial cable and downloading update to 3.14 Anyone have any thoughts?

My Equipment

Magellan GPS 315 Software Rev 3.07

A pair of eyes that dont work that well.

Guest jeremy

This is a complicated one, but here goes -

On the cheaper gps models, direction is determined by the direction the GPS is moving. It takes a data point every so often and does some mathematical calculation as to the obvious direction you're going.

So if you're at point 1 and go to point 2, it will know you're roughly going, say north. But if you're twirling around in circles there's a time lapse where it's giving you your direction based on where you were a few minutes ago.

Whatever the case, here's a trick. When you get close (like within .1 miles), take out your compass, and line the north on the compass with the north on your GPS unit. The direction arrow will basically help you face in the direction of your cache. Don't worry about magnetic north since you're close enough where it won't really matter.

When you're around 20 feet, might as well turn your GPS unit off and start looking.

Now if you have an internal electronic compass (for Garmin, that's the eTrex Summit and Vista), as long as you have that feature turned on it will always point you the right way.

Jeremy

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I used to sell GPS units, best advice I could give you is to play around with it. Take it while you walk the dog, or just walk around the block. After a few days you will see the light. There IS a learning curve. Oh, and read the book a few more times, I have 2 GPS, a handheld and a mounted unit, I still keep the manuals handy.

Guest mxjohn
Originally posted by jeremy:

This is a complicated one, but here goes -

On the cheaper gps models, direction is determined by the direction the GPS is moving. It takes a data point every so often and does some mathematical calculation as to the obvious direction you're going.

Ok well that make sence other than if I am reading right it says it updates every second. It is just something I am not used to this was my first day ever with a GPS and my first geocache. I know it works I might supplement my gear with a compass I have that I havent used since I put up my DSS dish 2 years ago. I think the other guy that posted had a point too. I have to learn it. I also want to get the latest update to 3.14 from 3.05 I want to get that reading to change from .1 mile to switch to feet. That will be cool. Plus with learning that MS streets and trips stores GPS waypoints! Cool.. heh..

MXJohn

Guest MadGPS

quote:
Originally posted by mxjohn:

I know this has been asked before. Nut why does it seem that the direction doesnt work right. It really makes it tough searching for caches when you are under .01 mile and it keeps jumping all over the place. I mean I turn around 180 and walk 5 feet and nothing still says I am pointing in my original direction. Am I supposed to run at top speed through brush to get the darn thing to update? it gets tough I mean the error says like 3 feet sometimes 6 strong satellite signals and all even in the trees and rain. What is up.. something I am not understanding here.. Thinking about buying serial cable and downloading update to 3.14 Anyone have any thoughts?

My Equipment

mxjohn

try this in a field,with no obstructions in the sky,set up a cache in the middle of the field and play with the darn thing.Walk away from it and to it.You will see what is going on.Also,the Mag315 has an "averaging" feature that should be more accurate stopped that when you are moving around in the bush.You won't drop your GPS exactly on the cache,but it should bring it into view of about ten fts + or - .Yes,you should get the cable for updates,waypoint management and so on.Keep at it,go for it,don't give up !!!

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

Guest MadGPS

quote:
Originally posted by mxjohn:

My Equipment

mxjohn

try this in a field,with no obstructions in the sky,set up a cache in the middle of the field and play with the darn thing.Walk away from it and to it.You will see what is going on.Also,the Mag315 has an "averaging" feature that should be more accurate stopped that when you are moving around in the bush.You won't drop your GPS exactly on the cache,but it should bring it into view of about ten fts + or - .Yes,you should get the cable for updates,waypoint management and so on.Keep at it,go for it,don't give up !!!

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

Guest mxjohn
Originally posted by GeoMonkeys:

Something we have learned, that seems to increase our success rate at finding caches, Is to put the gps down. When it gets to 0.nn Meters ( we are in metric Australia) from target,walk around without the GPS.

Totally awesome idea I am learning my Gps I burned up one whole pair of alkaline batteries figuring it out today. I also got the cable and downloaded the 3.14 firmware. Two things I discovered that have changed. The GPS witht the 3.07 update said I was having the EPE of 3 feet (BOLONEY!) I did the update and it was telling me 20 feet. Much more believable using it in a huge field with 7 sats locked. If I sat a while perfectly still the EPE error would go down and it would be almost right on. i think I need to equip myself with a compass as well amd make sure the GPs is set to magnetic not true north. The other feature that I noticed that I gained was when the GPS got to .1 mile before it would go no lower. now it goes down into FEET!!! It was telling me a I was off by five feet and I was on top of it. That is highly acceptable to me. I guess there is a slight learning curve and the update to 3.14 makes the GPs give me more true readings. i am totally pleased now.

mxJohn

Guest Cape Cod Cache

mx John,

You are getting the picture. Good Man! GPS is a tool, you must learn to use it Grasshopper ! Use the simulator mode to add legs to imaginary destinations on the Lay-Zee-Boy. Or in 'real mode' on your dashboard on the way to work. I still think a walk in the park is a good way to fly. I can use my hand held now with a few more looks (at the screen) than my tv remote control. I run boats for a living by the way, bad GPS equals swim for help.

Guest ericdb1

Yeah MxJohn, that 3.14 update is pretty nifty. I have a 320 and when we first started hunting we overshot nearly every cache that we looked for, (up to seven now). Now when I get to within .001 of a mile we get out the compass and also slow down. This seems to give the GPS a chance to gather the needed information and gets us very close, usually within 10-15 feet even under dense tree canopy. Once you get this close you just have to start rooting around until you find it.

Eric icon_smile.gif

Guest ericdb1

Yeah MxJohn, that 3.14 update is pretty nifty. I have a 320 and when we first started hunting we overshot nearly every cache that we looked for, (up to seven now). Now when I get to within .001 of a mile we get out the compass and also slow down. This seems to give the GPS a chance to gather the needed information and gets us very close, usually within 10-15 feet even under dense tree canopy. Once you get this close you just have to start rooting around until you find it.

Eric icon_smile.gif