Anyone have problems with Magellan?

I went to our local Outdoor World to get a hands on look at the GPS models. Whew...lots to choose from.

The Magellan Meridaian look good. The expandable memory looks like a plus.

I read an online review about a waterproff Magellan unit from someone who dropped in the lake and it filled up with water. According to this person, the Magellan company was giving them a hard time about replacing the unit.

Anyone else had a problem with the Magellan?

If you search for "waterproof" in the threads in this forum you will find several discussions on the matter, including this one from not long back.

My sense is that the Meridian is pretty good about resisting our unintentional efforts to drown them, but there are several reports that they don't always keep water out. I feel fine holding my MeriPlat while crossing a creek or something, but if I were going kayaking (or anything increasing the odds of a dunk in the drink) then additional precautions are probably a good investment. I think this is true of most all GPSr units, not just Magellans.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

My Meridian has taken a few plunges and no problem as of yet. It fell into the hull of my boat during a rough day at sea and I didnt realize until later that it was completely submerged in saltwater for a few min. No problems. When I take it out in the kayak I put it in a ziplock because there is a stong possibility that it will get flipped.

"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

><DARWIN>

L L

I called customer service because my platinum would not turn on. The Rep. sugested I send it in for replacement, even though he knew it was over a year old and the warranty expired. They returned to me a reconditioned unit that looked like new and it only cost me postage to send my old unit to them

I think you will find that some garmin owners have had the same problem with water entering the case, but if you check the seal every time you change the battery, you should be fine. Ive washed my platinum under a tap a few times to clean mud off it with no leaks. As for which model, well that depends on how much you are prepared to spend. The colour screen models are the most expensive, but can be difficult to use in direct sunlight, but the grey screens can be hard to read if there is a lot of clutter on the screen. The base models have a smaller basemap, with less detail though a detailed map can be added. I have a platinum, and have found it a great investment, as there have been more firmware upgrades for it(base model yellow and green have a different firmware), plus with the larger basemap memory, I have been able to get mine upgraded with a marine basemap(base models do not have enough memory for this upgrade).

In the end, even if I had a base model unit I would still be very happy, as the SD card feature allows storage of so much information, such as waypoints, track logs, routes etc. Whenever I run out of memory for anything, I just copy it to SD, and keep on going, its excellent

Magellan customer support is VERY good. I have experience only with the Map 330. It is VERY accurate. While the region mapping is "limited" to 8meg, I have street level maps of the entire central coast (of California, Monterey-Salinas down to Santa Barbara), greater LA area, SF-Bay area, and greater Pittsburgh currently loaded.

I only warn you that when your hosts in a city you are visiting get lost, and you whip out your GPS and give them directions... icon_smile.gif

Using the com port to transfer data is kinda archaic, but we're still talking only a couple minutes or less for a set of waypoints, and maybe four for a regional up load. The interaction with MapSend Streets is flawless.

Now the downside.

1) Mapsend Streets is REALLY clunky, non-intuitive software. You can get the job done with it, but it is really last-century software. No upgrades, free or otherwise, so I figure the maps are a good five years out of date.

2) I had a heck of a time installing the current firmware updates. THIS software does not interact with the unit well. I'm no novice, but finally had to send the unit to the factory to have the work done. As stated above, support was great...they did the firmware free and even covered the postage to return the unit! Five Stars! HOWEVER, the new firmware map is about 75 feet off! Where the track used to follow highways just about lane perfect, it is now offset.

Waypoints seem to be accurate on the map screen, and absolute location is DEAD ON, love that WAAS!

Not that I don't look longingly at the new units (Oh, for an easier way to navigate the menus, and get to street locations), the Map 330 really does everything I need, and I can't justify spending the bucks on anything new, and the Map 330 IS versatile and very user-configurable.

The Platinum is a super GPSr! Have a 128 mb SD card in it and I've barely began to fill it with topo and streets maps. Only shortfall is that Mapsend allows you to load only so much into the card at one time.

Love the intuitive way to navigate to any screen in the unit. Also got a windshield mount that works really well.

"Junk" is relative without specifics. My initial GPS experience was also military (navigator on submarines) and i am very pleased with my magellan (Mergreen).

1. I get good and rapid satelite tracking compared to my etrex (yellow) or older magellan (2000).

2. Finds are generally within ~30' of posted coordinates, this is about the same for my etrex.

3. No problems with watertightness during cleaning or occasional dunks in lakes, puddles, ...this is also about the same as my etrex.

4. Very good customer service when returning for minor repairs. They always seem to send extra goodies back with the unit. I haven't tested this with the etrex.

5. I like the use of SD memory cards for maps, waypoints, routes...

6. Fairly rugged, fell off the top of my truck at ~60mph onto the highway and survived with only minor scuffs (the coffee cup that also fell did not survive).

I've had a Magellan GPS315, and now currently have a Magellan SporTrak Pro, and my young son now uses a Garmin ETrex yellow. I'm completely satisfied with the quality of all three. My GPS 315 finally died (due, I think, to vibration from many hours mounted on an ATC250R). Only had the ETrex for about a month, so I can't really comment on long-term quality yet.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!

Arizonakober just look around these forums. People all over the place have had alot of problems with Magellan GPS units. I have known other people personally who have had nothing but problems with Magellan. Although some have no problems whatsoever, the amount of problems that do exist means that buying a Magellan unit is a crap shoot. To each their own.

If it isn't hard, it isn't worth doing right?

Lowrance if you do not own a Magellan and have never had one then you have never had a problem with one.Your reply is therefor an opinion and carries no weight. As a user I find the Meridian range the finest navigating aid for hiking and treking on the market. The expandable memory alone is one of the best reasons for this conclusion.

My comments are based on facts, and therefore have ALOT of weight. If you are having a good experience with Magellan, more power to you. I made the decision not to buy Magellan for all the failures I have seen over the years. I have used Magellan GPS, but have not owned one. That does not make my comment invalid.

Lowrance, I did look around in this and another forum before I spent my money to buy a Magellan. I looked for features and compared. Some people are having problems with their GPS units. There is no popular brand that stands out as clearly more reliable or less reliable than any other brand. Like computers, TVs, cars, etc. everyone has a brand they like and some, like you, have a brand they hate. Unless you can substantiate your claim with hard facts, your opinion is just that, an opinion.

Unless you have some special insight not available to the rest of us, I personaly think it is irresponsible of you to classify an entire product line as "junk". One of my HP Officejets had to be sent back to the factory and HP sent me a replacement. That doesn't make Hewlitt Packard printers "junk".

I ordered my Platinum with a large memory card. The Platinum would not format the card. I called tech support. They were aware that SanDisk had made some changes to their cards made in China. While I was on the phone, they e-mailed me the 5.12 update and helped me install it. Works like a charm ever since.

The best GPS out there is the one that suits your needs. If you need a map, then get one with a map. If you need to take a map of the whole country with you, get one with lots of memory. If you want to trust what it says get one that is trust worthy. Ask a lot of questions, down load manuals (that’s what I did) to see just what they can really do. Talk to a lot of people, and I mean a lot, to avoid a few people’s bias put you off of what you are looking for. Check out the support. A unit may have problems but they might be fixed quite easily. I use to own a Magellan GPS 2000. A piece of crap if you ask me. But I now own a Magellan Sportrack and I love it.

Listen to what people say, do the research, test some if you can, and make the decision your self. Put a little time into it and you will be glad you did.

All manufacturers have models that out perform other manufacturers’ models so no one manufacturers is better all round than any other. The big difference is how they stand behind their products.

The only advice I would give to anyone buying a GPS is make sure it has a date port and can be updated through it. That way if a fix does come out you can easily load it yourself and not have to send it in to be updated.

I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum and a SportTrak Color. My girlfriend and I have used them a BUNCH this summer caching (sometimes in the rain). Not one problem or glitch. Personally I love them.

I read of problems with lines in Garmin's eTrex models and the rubber strip coming loose. Doesn't mean that ALL eTrex units have the problem. I have recommended Garmin to friends based upon their needs.

As others have correctly stated, get the GPSr (whatever brand) that suits your needs and budget. I truly believe that all brands offer quality units.

Troy

Sindigo

I got a Meridian Gold about 18 months ago, I couldn't be happier with it. It's worked very hard, running all day on the dash of my van hooked up to my laptop, then out caching for the weekend, or on vacation. In fact, I even dropped it on my last vacation whilst out on a friends ATV. I then promptly ran it over with said ATV and it one of the heavy utility ones too. not a scratch.

Most of the caches I've gone after in the UK have shown right down to the last 4 feet on the GPSr, although it seems to be around 20 feet in the USA. Perhapos continental USA is intentionally less accurate on GPS broadcast.

Magellin 315... routinely shows "0" error when I find a chache (check out A Rock In The Woods for a picture).

Sure I would love a Colour unit, with extra memory, but I also SCUBA, and collect model trains... my wife runs my allowance, so there is just no way, until someone invents a holiday where people give each other gifts... Oh, I've heard wild tales of such a thing, but she says they are just rumours.

Seriously - I love my 315 and never have had a problem. Definitly NOT junk.

Like I said, some Magellans come out ok. Alot of them don't however. It's not a problem with the GPS itself, if you get a good one, great. The problem is with the "QA" dept where they are made. I work in Engineering, (electronics), and there are ALOT of variables that make or break a product. Some companies like Lowrance and Garmin simple have a better "QA" dept.

I love my Platinum...does everything I want and then some. I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

I have friends with Gamins and they have had no problems with their GPS's...the only guy I knew that had a Lowrance sold his and got a Garmin....to each his own.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I have 2 Magellans. My main one is a Meriyellow w/ a 64meg card and my back up is a Gps Companion for my Handspring Visor. The Meridian has been great. I've updated the software once from the Magellan website, no problems. I had a problem w/ my Gps companion. I had a lock up while running the update for it, and basicially fried it. I called Magellan, got a RMA # for it and sent it off for repair. About 8 days later I recieved a brand new unit complete w/ software. My Geocaching partner has a platinum and has had no problems either.

Good Luck!

glh

My take on Magellan and Garmin is they are both good companies.

You can't go wrong in buying a GPS unit as long as you know what you want and do plenty of research. Fortunantly I have a co-worker who gave me his input on the various GPS units he looked at.

If anyone gives you blanket advice on writing an entire company off without giving you specifics then that advice is worth next to nothing because they have told you absolutely nothing. This goes for any piece of equipment you are looking at regardless if it is a GPSr, Ham Radio equipment, or buying car.

I've owned my Magellan (Merrigreen) a half a year now. For me it does exactly what I want it to do. I've bought a SD media card and loaded maps for the entire state of NV and CA. I use it for Geocaching, road trips, and marking fishing holes. As for the water proofness of this unit, I would not recommend dunking this unit in water for more than a couple of seconds. The seals of this unit protect it on splashes, but for full on extended dunking... I would NOT recommend it... but most honest folks would say the same about any of popular units.

One other unit I've owned, although briefly is the Garmin Rhino 120. Nice little unit, the feature that folks seem to go ga-ga over is it has the capability of sending and receiving co-ordinances to another Rhino unit (110/120).

The radio for most folks is okay although some people have complained about the sound quality. If you are HAM radio hobbyist, then the radio would appear more like a toy walkie talkie. My biggest gripe and the reason why I returned the unit was my experience with it in a high Radio Frequency environment - specifically the type found at an airport. The Rhino 120 would lock up and have to be powered down (by removing the battery) and powering it up again. The unit worked fine everywhere else I took it... just keep it away from airports (check out my log at Grand Central Station - LAX airport).

Side note: Another Rhino owner had a similiar experience when looking for the same cache.

I wish you the best of luck in finding your GPSr.

----

Chivalry:

A couple of medieval songwriters come up with the idea of chivalry one rainy day... and you embrace it as a lifestyle. You live and die by a code of honor that was trendy when you were a kid.