HELP - Preferred serial settings for PC -to- eTrex transfers

Guest Rubbertoe

Guest Rubbertoe

I recently bought an eTrex Vista, and for the life of me I can't get it to accept uploaded maps of any substantial size. I can get it to *maybe* accept a 300k topo map now and then, but as for an 8 meg MapSource chunk - forget it.

I've updated firmware with my current settings, and uploaded and downloaded waypoints and tracks in various software pages without incident... but I CAN'T GET A dadgum MAP INTO THIS THING.

Pardon my frustration... ANY tips that you might have on getting a good communication going on between the PC and an eTrex Vista would be GREATLY appreciated.

My current com settings are 115200, 8-n-1, xon/xoff

Thanks much...

Rob

You may need to provide more detail about the specific problem for someone to help you. I have not reached the maximum memory for my Vista or GPSV, but maybe your memory is full. I would think it would give a prompt though. The Mapsource users manual has good detailed instructions on transferring data to your GPS, including maps.

The steps mentioned:

• File/Save to device/serial port
  • What to save/maps (make sure this is checked)
  • communications settings/com1
  • baud rate/automatic
  • save
Guest Rubbertoe

Yeah, I guess I should add what else I've done... sorry for my lack of detail.

GPS set to Garmin, upload speed set to auto (which uses 115200 automagically) - and the port settings I listed earlier.

In uploading a new map set, it also automagically deletes anything that is in memory - so I'm sure it's not a matter of it being full.

Weird thing is, I've installed the software on two completely different PCs with the same results.

icon_smile.gif thanks for the help so far folks

Guest Rubbertoe

Yeah, I guess I should add what else I've done... sorry for my lack of detail.

GPS set to Garmin, upload speed set to auto (which uses 115200 automagically) - and the port settings I listed earlier.

In uploading a new map set, it also automagically deletes anything that is in memory - so I'm sure it's not a matter of it being full.

Weird thing is, I've installed the software on two completely different PCs with the same results.

icon_smile.gif thanks for the help so far folks

Guest Geoffrey

The Vista has a separate memory for the Maps, and the Waypoints/Tracklogs has a shared memory. I have had a Garmin fail, so it is possible that the unit is defective.

I have heard that when all else fails, you should try setting the baud rate in the MapSource preferences to 9600. If that works, move the baud rate up one step at a time.