Poll: Which do you own? Magellen or Garmin

jtice

Garmin. Yellow E-Trex and Venture.

Considered upgrading to a Sport Track Pro. After looking it over I learned the following when comparing the ST-pro to the Venture.

* E-Trex has longer battery life.

* E-Trex is easy to use in one hand.

* E-Trex has more pixels/inch in display.

* E-Trex is lighter.

* E-Trex is smaller.

* Loss of lock debate is muddy at best.

Then I learned that Magellan was owned by Thales, a french company. Being a combat veteran, and having a son in Iraq, the decision was made. I do love that Venture! Maybe a GPS-V in my future, but no Magellan.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Considered upgrading to a Sport Track Pro. After looking it over I learned the following when comparing the ST-pro to the Venture.

* E-Trex is lighter.

* E-Trex is smaller.

Then I learned that Magellan was owned by Thales, a french company. Being a combat veteran, and having a son in Iraq, the decision was made. I do love that Venture! Maybe a GPS-V in my future, but no Magellan.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I guess you did not realize that the Magellan Topo software includes all street names, the Garmin Topo softwaer does not, The Magellan will display a projected terrain profile, the Garmin will not. The Magellan has a built in help menu, the Garmin does not.

I have Garmin and Magellan, WIth the changes in Magelan over the past year or so,Magellan sales are on an upward trend for the Company I work for. While Garmin sales are on a decline.

I am now using a Meridian Gold

quote:

Probably. Garmin spec says typical, which means nothing for your Venture, only that the ones they did test lasted that long on average. Neither company guarantees their spec.

Totally subjective, which is how it has to be. But don't make it sound like it's that way for everyone. I find I have no problem operating my ST Pro with my hands, either. I have seen posts, however, where some operators did not like the buttons on the side.

True. However, Magellan has the larger screen size @ 3.22sq.in. vs. 2.31sq.in.

* E-Trex is lighter.

True. Magellan does not indicate whether their weight (6.1 oz) is with or without batteries. Venture is lighter, with batteries, at 5.3 ounces. So, how long would you have to carry an extra ounce for it to become too much of a burden?

* E-Trex is smaller.

True

Agree

Then I learned that Magellan was owned by Thales, a french company.

Magellan was not born in France. It's pretty home grown. I agree that punishing the French goverment by boycotting imported French-made goods is appropriate, but the Magellans we buy are US made by US workers paying taxes in US dollars.

don

*Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

*El Paso, Texas.

I own two Magellan's, an old Tracker and a Meridian Platinum.

I almost never use two hands to operate mine. My partner hates his side buttons, and don't get him started on his "joy" stick...lol

My MapSend Topo program shows all areas around State and National Parks clearly, his Mapsource has many areas darkened to the point he can't read them icon_frown.gif

Give me a big screen I can read from a distance over a tiny screen with somewhat higher resolution any day.

The Garmin is smaller, thats why the screen is smaller too.

Ok, ya got me...the Garmin is lighter, sooooo....DO SOME PUSH-UPS icon_wink.gif

In the end though, all that counts is you use what ever brand you choose, and have fun....

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

quote:
To add my two cents to Cachetrotters two cents:

** E-Trex has longer battery life.

*Probably. Garmin spec says typical, which means nothing for your Venture, only that the ones they did test lasted that long on average. Neither company guarantees their spec.

I run a sportrak map/Legend side by side quite often, and find it somewhat of a toss up as to which runs the longest on a set of batteries. I'd call it pretty much a toss up. With rechargables, I'd definately say any difference isn't worth worrying about.

** E-Trex is easy to use in one hand.

*Totally subjective, which is how it has to be. But don't make it sound like it's that way for everyone. I find I have no problem operating my ST Pro with my hands, either. I have seen posts, however, where some operators did not like the buttons on the side.

I agree on the subjective factor. My personal preference is for the etrex when hiking difficult terrain and using the unit in one hand where I don't want to spend much time or thought on using the receiver. When propped up between the dash and windshield of my truck, I prefer the front mounted buttons on the sportrak. Again, I wouldn't decide over either receiver on button layout as they both get the job done, and both will annoy you at times.

** E-Trex has more pixels/inch in display.

*True. However, Magellan has the larger screen size @ 3.22sq.in. vs. 2.31sq.in.

In this area, using my receiver primarily for hiking, I very much prefer the eTrex display. It has roughly twice the resolution, which makes visualizing the terrain with topo maps quite a bit easier. That said, on the dash of my truck, I only quickly glance at the display, and don't want nor can I take in as much info without taking my eyes off the road for to long a period of time. In this case, the larger screen with less info of the sportrak seems to be a plus. (I generally use a PDA with mapopolis and voice commands on the road)

** E-Trex is lighter.

*True. Magellan does not indicate whether their weight (6.1 oz) is with or without batteries. Venture is lighter, with batteries, at 5.3 ounces. So, how long would you have to carry an extra ounce for it to become too much of a burden?

As a 6'3" guy who weighs in at anywhere between 230, and 240 pounds, I don't really notice an extra ounce or two. It just doesn't seem to matter.

** E-Trex is smaller.

*True

The smaller size of the eTrex seems to work out a lot better for me. It's easier to keep readily at hand, yet quickly tuck away while doing a hand and foot scramble up a mountain. The sportraks size and shape seems to limit the options on where to clip it. If you use that cheesy carrying case magellan makes, you're also likely to find the clip breaks apart within a journey or two.

**Agree

My thoughts as well. Either unit will work great for you much of the time, and make you mad enough you're tempted to throw it on the rocks at other times. If you're interested in recording tracks however, the reception behavior, and track recording differences of the eTrex generally work out a lot better.

*Then I learned that Magellan was owned by Thales, a french company.

**Magellan was not born in France. It's pretty home grown. I agree that punishing the French goverment by boycotting imported French-made goods is appropriate, but the Magellans we buy are US made by US workers paying taxes in US dollars.

don

The companies are multination. Hard to say for sure who you're supporting with either product. The box for my Legend says designed in the USA, made in Taiwan. My sportrak just says made in China.

As for maps, for terrain data, Garmins TOPO is the only way to go right now, and they have true 1:24,000 scale maps coming available very soon. On the downside, with the Garmin product you may want to load road for the same area, as the road data on the TOPO is old, and doesn't include address data. Magellans TOPO on the other hand tends to be pretty bad for terrain detail, but does offer more up to date road data with address detail. Unfortunately, it's based on the notoriously inaccurate Tiger map database.

As to which unit I think is better, the one in my hand of course. On balance, I prefer my Legend over my sportrak, but if only had one or the other, I can't honestly say there would be any good reason to try and change to the other. Either one seems to get the job done, and they both have things about them I really like, and things about them that drive me nuts at times.

I have an old GPS III.

2 GPS V units.

Meridian Platinum and GPS 315

Best Buy now has Magellan Meridian Platinum, and Sportrak Map units.

Garmins have the best tracklogging, but the Platinum is the best GPS for zeroing on a cache. There was one cache where no garmin seemed to help me, but on the third trip to it, the Platinum took me right to it. Took another 5 or 10 minutes to figure out how to snatch the cache from a swampy area. The signal strength of my Platinum helps me more than any Vista, III, IIIplus, and V, ever did to zero in on any cache. My garmins would all have me jumping 40 feet or so back and forth between large trees. Still the tracklogging of a Garmin is better, except for etrex units. I had problems with getting a good tracklog on a vista, because of trees and stuff. The Vista was great for running until I discovered that it gave me too much trouble around buildings and trees.

I just wished I could have the best of Magellan and Garmin in a single GPS.

FWIW: I am fairly new to this and currently have a Magellan SporTrak Pro. It is always right on and I have come across others with a Garmin ending about 40' away from the cache.

Mapsend Topo is the mapping SW I use & find it sufficient for caching. What I do not like about Magellan is the lack of info on their Web site for firmware or SW updates. Not very friendly site but I can live with it.

"the future is no place to place your better days"- dmb

quote:
Originally posted by Searching_ut:

I didn't vote because you didn't have a box for both. I have more than one unit from both companies, plus a PDA I use in conjunction with the GPS for road navigation.

You might want to check out the Garmin Quie 3600 coming out in June. It is a PDA with full gps capibility and voice routing, 32 mgs of memory and it's also a mp3 player. Sounds like it will do it all. I have a Garmin Vista now for geocaching, and I'm going to get the 3600 for the car as soon as it comes out.

Have a nice day, tmarq

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

quote:

_Probably. Garmin spec says typical, which means nothing for your Venture, only that the ones they did test lasted that long on average. Neither company guarantees their spec._

_Totally subjective, which is how it has to be. But don't make it sound like it's that way for everyone. I find I have no problem operating my ST Pro with my hands, either. I have seen posts, however, where some operators did not like the buttons on the side._

_True. However, Magellan has the larger screen size @ 3.22sq.in. vs. 2.31sq.in._

* E-Trex is lighter.

_True. Magellan does not indicate whether their weight (6.1 oz) is with or without batteries. Venture is lighter, with batteries, at 5.3 ounces. So, how long would you have to carry an extra ounce for it to become too much of a burden?_

* E-Trex is smaller.

_True_

_Agree_

Then I learned that Magellan was owned by Thales, a french company.

_Magellan was not born in France. It's pretty home grown. I agree that punishing the French goverment by boycotting _imported French-made_ goods is appropriate, but the Magellans we buy are US made by US workers paying taxes in US dollars._

_don_

*Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

*El Paso, Texas.

magellan owned by the french!!! no i really want to pirate the map send program too late on the gps thought just spent 250 on it.....

Just ordered a Magellan Meridian Platinum from Harmony Computers

( http://www.shopharmony.com ). The price was $257. Minus the $50 mail in rebate makes it $207 and free shipping to boot. Can't beat that with a stick. I have had Garmin 12 for years and thought it was time for an upgrade. I went looking on the web for info. And came across this deal at Harmony just too good to pass up. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by wfrench on April 26, 2003 at 05:06 PM.]

I have a Garmin III+ that is my primary GPS and a Magellan GPS Companion for my Palm m515 for a second. I mostly use the Garmin because it's much more rugged that the Magellan/Palm combo. On the other hand, the Magellan can get a good lock in places where the Garmin doesn't. I use the Palm exclusively for carrying cache pages with Watcher/GPX Spinner/Pluckit software. Now if I could only be able to download waypoints to the Palm/Magellan from EasyGPS. So far I haven't figured out how to do that witht he software supplied by Magellan.

quote:
Originally posted by GeneralUrsus:

I have a Legend and a Vista. Love 'em both, but I have a slight preference for the Legend.

The Legend is better for flying, than the Vista. The Barometric adjusted elevation can get in the way. The Vista should have Auto Averaging like the GPS 315, so that that can calibrate it's barometric sensor more often.

Ok, the list is like this,

started with a magellan Blazer 12, sits on the shelf

went to Garmin Venture, like it still use it, its on loan to Mom, ( She is just getting into Ggaching)and Daughter used it all the time.

Then Got a Garmin Legend, Old Blue really is a good unit, use it when I am urban caching,

Then picked up a Magellan 2000Xl, Carrie it in the back pack for backup and a on the spot loner, good reception and not too many confusing features.

Was thinking about the sprotrak pro and the Rino 120 came out so Got two of those,, ,,,sorry rino is junk all around wont pick up sat's in the trees and the radio is a real joke, works ok in town and the map is easy to play with. Kids toy period. Is a good unit to place caches with, if it gets a lock with any accuracy then it a sure thing that others will find the cache.

While in the second hand store the other day picked up a Magellan GPS ProMark X, Novilty item mostly just could not resist.

And on the end of the list Magellan Sportrac Pro, great unit good in the trees no complaints so far. Use it in the tight spots, Put all the others in the backpack,( except the Blazer12 and the promark X, both those stay home)

Thinking about trying a Garmin 76s, next, sounds like a nice unit that will get the sat's in on the screen. Might get rid of the Rinos and go after one of these.

So that makes 3 Magellans, 4 Garmins. And only TWO hands, GO FIGURE.

I started with the DeLorme Tripmate hooked up to my laptop for navigating while driving. I loved the idea, but the DeLorme GPS was not so hot. I bought an eTrex yellow and a cable and used it as the receiver, still using the DeLorme Streets USA software. The Garmin has much better performance than the TripMate and has the ability to operate as a standalone unit. My wife bought me a Vista a couple Christmases ago and a couple of Rino120 last Christmas. I love 'em all, they each have their strongpoints. I think Garmin makes a great product and am looking forward to getting a iq360 for my birthday in July. I know nothing of Magellan, as I have never used one.

I am not addicted to geocaching, really.

GREEN HORN from Ca. I have the vista and never had a problem. It's over 1-1/2 years old. Use it all the time, it goes with me all the time. FREE DOWN LOADS from Garmin at www.garmin.com will stop freeze ups, so I hear. I love it. Friend of my boss had a different brand think it started with an L. HE went out in the ocean and it stopped working. He said it's been fixed two times before.Thats one brand I wouldn't buy.

Question: Say you have one each--Maggie, Garmin, and Lowrance--how do you register your vote for each? Seems reasonable that each should be represented(under Both and Other), but you're allowed only one vote. And was he implying that Both meant Garmin and Magellan, or should we just infer it? icon_razz.gif

And if we should be allowed to vote for each brand, then why not multiple votes for multiple units of the same brand.

jtice, you should'a thought about all of this before you polled us!

don

I'm new to this GPS stuff, did my own comparison and chose the Mag. Mer. Plat. because of the SD card memory. I can't believe someone else hasn't mentioned that yet.Friends have a Garmin E-Trex & Garmin 72, both loose signal in trees, my Platnium hasn't yet.

We love our Garmin StreetPilot III. It calculates a route faster than our GPS V and seems smarter when recalculating (our GPS V tends to route us back to where we went off track, where the SPIII looks ahead for the next best turn).

My wife just got back from Kentucky after spending a week there attending a wedding and she used the SPIII to get from the Nashville airport to Glasgow without a hitch. I uploaded all the maps into the SPIII for Tennesse and Kentucky in addition to most of So. California where we live and still had room left in the 128MB memory card.

She said the best part was when she and her daughter just took off in the rental car driving all over Kentucky sight seeing and not caring where they were. At the end of the day they just called up the home waypoint on the SPIII and it took them right back to her mother's house.

I wouldn't recommend it for geocaching either as the size prohibits using it in hand (but not impossible) but it will get you there none the less. The cigarete lighter power plug contains a suprisingly loud and clear sounding speaker for the voice prompts with a pleasent sounding tone similar to the tone you hear on an airline before the captain talks. A pleasure to use.

Mike & Gay

Beer nuts cost $1.50. Deer nuts are under a buck.

I have the Magellan Meridian Platinum and have had no problems with one-handed operation. The larger screen definitely makes up for the lower resolution and is quite easy to read at arm's length compared to the Garmin (I did a side-by-side comparison). Although it will fit in my shirt pocket, I usually have it in a belt pouch.

Fwiw, if you go to Comp-U-Plus, they have it cheaper than Harmony. $249 for the Platinum and $65 for the MapSend Topo. You can download the .pdf rebate form from their web site too, which btw... is $75 until the end of June.

Cheers!

TL

Own Both

I started with Magellan 330x but later upgraded to the Garmin Deluxe V when I wanted real mapping with directions. too many close calls trying to read the map while driving. Insert "what a stupid thing to do" comment here. i've heard it already & agree. That's why I bought the garmin. Thats probably also why my wife didn't compalin about the $400 price tag either. I use the garmin V almost exclusively, but after nearly losing it in the swamp I decided I will navigate with V, but once at the parking lot use the 330. Much cheaper to replace if lost/damaged.

quote:
by callipy: We love our Garmin StreetPilot III. It calculates a route faster than our GPS V and seems smarter when recalculating (our GPS V tends to route us back to where we went off track, where the SPIII looks ahead for the next best turn).

havent noticed that.

quote:
I uploaded all the maps into the SPIII for Tennesse and Kentucky in addition to most of So. California where we live and still had room left in the 128MB memory card.

so can you use mlarger cards? like a 256 meg card? if so I am SOOOOO jealous. I want one but won't pay that price. too bad I can't have more then 19 meg of maps. i could load 3 or 4 states if I could use a 256 card. perfect for my central states rolelr coaster tour in August. Sigh....

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
]

so can you use mlarger cards? like a 256 meg card? if so I am SOOOOO jealous. I want one but won't pay that price. too bad I can't have more then 19 meg of maps. i could load 3 or 4 states if I could use a 256 card. perfect for my central states rolelr coaster tour in August. Sigh....

]

I think some people are using 512mb cards.

I see that garmin and magellan are only 9% diffrent now (See my post earlier comparing how it was a year or so ago).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I have both Garmin eTrex Vista and Magellan SporTrack Pro (from Costco). My preference is Vista for compass, better screen resolution and much better track logging. I like Vista's user interface more, I seem to get more things done in less clicks. Vista's joystick control is also cool, although SporTrack buttons are very well designed and help a lot.

My two sons will fight for the Vista when we go geocaching. Both units seem to have same sensitivity and accuracy when you just look at coordinates.

Software that comes with them (MapSend streets and MapSource topo) turned out to be not very useful for me; I just use QuakeMap - http://www.quakemap.com - for all my geocaching needs.

Happy trails!

Garmin GPSMAP 76S

I like the size and availability of bathymetric data for use in the water. The unit is larger than the etrex line with a shorter battery life but has better barametric readings = better altitude tracking. I plan on using this one in a car and boat in addition to my geocaching adventures so a larger screen is helpful.

Tahoe Mtn Man

Watching the snow, thinking about summer