Geode

Guest daniela

Guest chriss

Sorry I can't give you help with your question directly, but I'm hoping my sister will give me her Visor Deluxe when she upgrades to the Edge. I was checking out the GPS options, and it looks like the offering from Magellan does everything the Geode does, but for $140 less. (I could be totally wrong, too, but that's the way it looked to me.) :-) I will be watching this topic with great interest, hoping that some folks who have these units will share their experiences and I-wish-it-did-this . . . type of comments.

Whoops! Spoke too soon! Check the thread about 5 topics down from yours.

------------------

chriss

~~~~~~

Get a shot off _fast._ This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect.

-Lazarus Long

[This message has been edited by chriss (edited 22 June 2001).]

Guest Exocet

niela,

I've been a beta tester for GeoDiscovery since, oh, September or so of last year. I've owned a Geode GPS unit since early February. I've placed 7 caches with it and found 37.

If you haven't yet purchased the Geode GPS unit, I'd say ...wait. GeoDiscovery, the company, is going through a great deal of change due to the downturn in the economy. They are just now starting to pick up the pace again but it is nonetheless prudent to "wait and see."

If you have purchased a unit, then welcome to the small and exclusive club. icon_smile.gif

Tips:

- Become a beta tester, now. You will enjoy the chance to play with the latest Geode and GeoView software. It's usually buggy but very interesting.

- The compass, like many in GPS units, is not as good as a dedicated compass. Invest in a decent compass - I picked up a Brunton Nexus for about $8. It is quite adequate.

- The Geode works best on fresh batteries. Keep an eye on the battery meter.

- Upgrade the Geode/GeoView software to version 1.3. You will appreciate it.

- All GPS units eat batteries and the Geode is no exception. If you go a-huntin' for caches, bring backups. An extra two or four AA's is recommended. Bring extras for your Handspring unit, too.

- The Geode and your Handspring unit aren't necessarily waterproof. I use a modified ziplock baggie that fits pretty snugly over the combo and still locks at the top.

More general tips:

- Be prepared and use your common sense. I always pack as though I may spend the night or might get hurt. Many adventures later, I haven't ...but having a flashlight, maps, etc have helped me get out of the woods safely.

- Go with someone else! I would say this is practically a requirement. I would be very hesitant to go out into the woods by myself.

- Bring a cell phone. Even limited, spotty coverage is better than no coverage at all. Charge the phone before going out.

- Water.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started. Most of this stuff applies to all Geocachers and GPS units. If you already have a Geode, rest assured: you've purchased a nice GPS unit that will more than suffice. Treat it with care and it'll get you there and back again.

Guest Exocet

niela,

I've been a beta tester for GeoDiscovery since, oh, September or so of last year. I've owned a Geode GPS unit since early February. I've placed 7 caches with it and found 37.

If you haven't yet purchased the Geode GPS unit, I'd say ...wait. GeoDiscovery, the company, is going through a great deal of change due to the downturn in the economy. They are just now starting to pick up the pace again but it is nonetheless prudent to "wait and see."

If you have purchased a unit, then welcome to the small and exclusive club. icon_smile.gif

Tips:

- Become a beta tester, now. You will enjoy the chance to play with the latest Geode and GeoView software. It's usually buggy but very interesting.

- The compass, like many in GPS units, is not as good as a dedicated compass. Invest in a decent compass - I picked up a Brunton Nexus for about $8. It is quite adequate.

- All GPS units eat batteries and the Geode is no exception. If you go a-huntin' for caches, bring backups. An extra two or four AA's is recommended. Bring extras for your Handspring unit, too.

- The Geode and your Handspring unit aren't necessarily waterproof. I use a modified ziplock baggie that fits pretty snugly over the combo and still locks at the top.

More general tips:

- Be prepared and use your common sense. I always pack as though I may spend the night or might get hurt. Many adventures later, I haven't ...but having a flashlight, maps, etc have helped me get out of the woods safely.

- Go with someone else! I would say this is practically a requirement. I would be very hesitant to go out into the woods by myself.

- Bring a cell phone. Even limited, spotty coverage is better than no coverage at all. Charge the phone before going out.

- Water.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started. Most of this stuff applies to all Geocachers and GPS units. If you already have a Geode, rest assured: you've purchased a nice GPS unit that will more than suffice. Treat it with care and it'll get you there and back again.

Guest daniela

Thanks for the tips. I did purchase the Geode back when they first came out...Good and Bad. I agree that the battey life is very important.

If you think of any other ideas let me know.

Thanks again

quote:
Originally posted by Exocet:

Daniela,

Tips:

More general tips:

- Water.

Guest daniela

Thanks for the tips. I did purchase the Geode back when they first came out...Good and Bad. I agree that the battey life is very important.

If you think of any other ideas let me know.

Thanks again

quote:
Originally posted by Exocet:

Daniela,

Tips:

More general tips:

- Water.