Software Basics ??

Guest John H

Guest John H

Folks

Being new to GPS's (in fact I just ordered an ETrex Legend and it isn't in yet) I have played with the Lowrance 100 and know basic operation of it but I am confused about software. Please pardon my ignorance.

Here goes:

Can someone give me a short list of the popular support software for maps ?

Is there FreeWare that is just as good ?

Garmin really pushes Mapsource CD's, but they want premium prices for them, are they worth it?

Does the maps you upload to the GPS automactically align themselves in the unit ?

When you plot a route on your PC across the entire U.S. does the entire route upload with the surrounding area (say 50 miles on either side) ?

Some softawre maps dont include the ability to layout a track ? Correct ?

I have "Streets 98" which came with my Gateway PC. Is this program compatible with the Legend ?

I really appreciate someone clearing some of this up for me.

Thanks !

Guest Thomas

John

At this time, Mapsource is the only maps that can be uploaded to the Legend. Once Uploaded the maps are ready for use.

Software(some free)that works with Legend:

G7toWin

GPSTrackmaker

quote:
Originally posted by John H:

Folks

Being new to GPS's (in fact I just ordered an ETrex Legend and it isn't in yet) I have played with the Lowrance 100 and know basic operation of it but I am confused about software. Please pardon my ignorance.

Here goes:

Can someone give me a short list of the popular support software for maps ?

Is there FreeWare that is just as good ?

Garmin really pushes Mapsource CD's, but they want premium prices for them, are they worth it?

Does the maps you upload to the GPS automactically align themselves in the unit ?

When you plot a route on your PC across the entire U.S. does the entire route upload with the surrounding area (say 50 miles on either side) ?

Some softawre maps dont include the ability to layout a track ? Correct ?

I have "Streets 98" which came with my Gateway PC. Is this program compatible with the Legend ?

I really appreciate someone clearing some of this up for me.

Thanks !

I afraid that if you want to be able to load maps into your Legend then you will have to buy one of Garmin's Mapsource programs. I think for what you get the Roads & Recreation is a pretty good value. The maps are a little out of date but with the 8MB in the eTrex Legend I bet you could get half the state of Ohio in there... Yep just tried and everthing from Cleveland to Columbus just would fit in the 8MB.

You will have to get the MapSource Metro CD's if you wnat to be able to do Address lookups. But with only 8MB you will only be able to load one metro area at a time seeing how they are usualy about 8MB in size.

If you are going to do alot of out door stuff you may want to get the Mapsource TOPO CD's I also own this set of maps and there OK. The data is slightly higher resoulution than the R&R and has the topology. It is not as good as a USGS 7.5 minute maps but useful none the less.

If you are just intersted in backup up you waypoint and routes then you could get try one of the many freeware and shareware programs out there. Programs like g7towin, waypoint+ and many others. Try http://joe.mehaffey.com/ for more info on third party software.

I not sure about Streets 98 but I know some of the other map software for your couputer supports GPS to some exstent. I have used it with Rand McNally Street Finder 98 and MS Streets and Trips 2001. But I find the feature are not worth the hassle of having to hall my laptop around. I just load R&R maps into my III+ and away I go.

No you do not need to do any calibration. Mapsource load the map already "Calibrated" it is very nice.

No Mapsource does not load maps based on routes you have planned. You will have to do that yourself not that its dificult.

Hope this helps

mcb