waas

Guest Hard Slate

Guest Hard Slate

A while back I ran across the coords for the waas satellites.I didn't give it a lot of thought at the time,but since my etrex legend will be here in a couple days....

Guest morganw

You won't need the sat. coordinates for waas to work. From Charlotte, the WAAS satellite will show up as GPS satellite number 35. You will need a fairly decent view of the southern sky to pick it up. I usually have no trouble getting a good fix from my car when travelling east/west/south, but not much luck when moving north (of course an external antenna would solve that problem).

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Hard Slate:

A while back I ran across the coords for the waas satellites.I didn't give it a lot of thought at the time,but since my etrex legend will be here in a couple days....

The coords may just be the geo-sync position where the sat is located all those miles above the surface, but they are not necessary to get the unit to work. Just hold it up to the sky and your eTrex will take care of the rest (after you turn on WAAS that is since Garmin ships the units with the option turned off by default). And the broadcast range is incredibly far (I can get a good lock on bird 35 from the west coast easily) so it shouldnt be a problem for you to get a lock as long as you have that view of the eastern sky. Your eTrex will show you the approximate position of the WAAS sat from your current position. Good luck!

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest bwolv

You don't need it, but for those curious, the west WAAS satellite is 0 lat, and 178E Long. (Note that's East logitude!) It's an Inmarsat comercial communication satellite that the FAA has purchased space on, it transmits both Psudeo range (normal GPS stuff) data with WAAS data encoded within.